• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Is there somthing weird about the primer pockets on PMC brass. Just tried to prime a few and it was a no go. After several attempts I just chucked them in the scrap brass. They were given to me so I'm not out much anyway. Ps I did use a Lyman primer pocket tool on them. It was very tight. No problems with the other headstamps either.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Here's the likely culprit. Are you trying to prime "small primer" 45 acp brass with a large primer? Note that many manufacturers are priming 45 acp these days with small primers instead of the large, as many of us are accustomed to.

If that is the case, go rescue those bad boys from the trash.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    bigbaloo95,
    Try taking out the primer crimps, well... if you didn't already.
    Making it work is the name of the game and expertise an item of conservation.:)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Because I shoot my .223 only in matches, I keep my ammo in 100 round boxes, and return the brass to the box after each event. I have multiple batches of .223 PMC brand brass that were no problem to reload the first time and have been no problem for 5 or 6 more times. I have noticed in the past that some brands of ammo are tight with some brands of primers. For example, if I did not uniform the primer pockets on S&B revolver brass, they would not accept a CCI primer without excessive force, but they would accept a Federal, although firmly. After a couple reloads it did not matter.

I seldom use commie block or 3rd world manufactured primers, but sometimes manufacturing tolerances stack up against you. A primer at the max of the specifications and a brass case at the minimum of the specifications will be problematic.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Thanks for the advice. They are crimped and after removing that were still tight. Should have mentioned it was only a handful of brass (40ish). Had no problems with the lake city and remington I did that day but the pmc gave me fits. Rather than give myself a stroke I just chose to move on.

Top Bottom