• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Mexico, AFAIK, you cannot have a gun .....

This is from Wikipedia on Mexico's gun laws:

Main article: Gun politics in Mexico
    Mexican citizens and legal residents may purchase new non-military firearms for self-protection or hunting only after receiving approval of a petition to the Defense Ministry, which performs extensive background checks. The allowed weapons are restricted to relatively small calibers and may only be purchased legally from the Defense Ministry.
    Possession of non-military firearms is regulated by Mexican federal law. Pistols are restricted to calibres up to .380 (9mm short), including .38 Special and .38 Super. Revolvers are also allowed in calibers up to .38 special excluding .357 Magnum. Shotguns up to 12 gauge and rifles up to .30 caliber are allowed for hunting and sporting. "Military" firearms, including pistols with bores exceeding .38 caliber, and BB guns (but not pellet guns) require federal licenses and are regulated in a manner similar to that dictated by the U.S. National Firearms Act (NFA). Generally, non-military firearms may be kept at home, but a license is required to carry them outside the home. Carry licenses are granted on a May-Issue basis and typically require evidence of special need.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    This is from Wikipedia on Mexico's gun laws:

Main article: Gun politics in Mexico
    Mexican citizens and legal residents may purchase new non-military firearms for self-protection or hunting only after receiving approval of a petition to the Defense Ministry, which performs extensive background checks. The allowed weapons are restricted to relatively small calibers and may only be purchased legally from the Defense Ministry.
    Possession of non-military firearms is regulated by Mexican federal law. Pistols are restricted to calibres up to .380 (9mm short), including .38 Special and .38 Super. Revolvers are also allowed in calibers up to .38 special excluding .357 Magnum. Shotguns up to 12 gauge and rifles up to .30 caliber are allowed for hunting and sporting. "Military" firearms, including pistols with bores exceeding .38 caliber, and BB guns (but not pellet guns) require federal licenses and are regulated in a manner similar to that dictated by the U.S. National Firearms Act (NFA). Generally, non-military firearms may be kept at home, but a license is required to carry them outside the home. Carry licenses are granted on a May-Issue basis and typically require evidence of special need.

With laws like that, Mexico must be a model society virtually devoid of gun crime. I mean if you make it nearly impossible for law-abiding citizens to have guns, society will be free of them, right?

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    The last 2 bricks of 22's I've been able to find were Centurion ( in Bedford) and CI (at Bradis)- both from Mexico. Made me wonder if the shortage is mostly here in the states, with supplies fairly normal elsewhere-(thanks, Obama)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was in Ontario 2 weeks ago. I stopped into a gunstore in Hamilton. They had thousands of 22 LR for sale on the shelf for .02 per round. I was going to buy a couple thousand but I wasn't sure if I could get them through customs.

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    And the manufactures keep telling everybody it ain't their fault bull crap! they are gouging the devil out of the american shooter

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I was in Ontario 2 weeks ago. I stopped into a gunstore in Hamilton. They had thousands of 22 LR for sale on the shelf for .02 per round. I was going to buy a couple thousand but I wasn't sure if I could get them through customs.

You need some sort of national ID to buy firearms and ammo in Canada anyway I believe.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest

So at .02/rnd a box of 50 was $1.00 ? Or 525 was & $10.50 ?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Soooo, is it illegal to come back into the states with Canadian bought .22??? I am up there several times a year and could have a resident buy it....

I don't know, that's why I am asking???

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    You need some sort of national ID to buy firearms and ammo in Canada anyway I believe.
    It used to be that you needed a FOID card to buy ammo in IL even if you were going to just shoot it on the seller's indoor range! I bet NJ and NY are still like that

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Soooo, is it illegal to come back into the states with Canadian bought .22??? I am up there several times a year and could have a resident buy it....

I don't know, that's why I am asking???

I don't know either but if legal and .02/rnd as stated up thread , I would think it would be happening. I know several people/shooters that are in and out of Canada all the time and can't imagine they wouldn't be doing it.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

$0.02? I find that hard to believe. When was the last time WE EVER saw $.02/rd? Everything's more expensive in Canada, too.

Top Bottom