Different powder charges = different SDs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Can somebody explain that to a noob? How is it that some powder weights have smaller deviations than other weights? Those two things seem unrelated. All this is in the context of load development for a long range rifle.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Guess I am not picking up what you are putting down. Are you asking why some powders have less deviation between min and max load weights?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'll try it this way. A guy is shooting 5 shot groups of different powder charge weights to figure out what his rifle likes. Same powder, different charge weights, velocity deviations. Let's 43.2 grains groups really well but has a 20fps spread in velocity among the 5 shots. 44.6 grains groups ok, but only has a 5fps spread in velocity among the 5 shots. This is not my personal experience but one that I've read many times. Has anybody experienced this?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    There's approximately 1.5 million things that play into this. General rule of thumb would be low SD is good, but accuracy has the final say.

Why does the SD vary? Lot's of reasons! First off: Statistics. Shoot 20 shots and then talk about SD. Although I've done this myself, 5 shots isn't really significant. Again, accuracy is more telling here.
    Another reason could be how you seated and crimped the bullet, was it absolutely perfectly uniform.

How can a load be more accurate AND have a larger SD? Well, that goes back to there being 1.5 million contributors to accuracy. 20fps on your 3000fps load is less than 1%. Did your twitchy little finger squeeze within 1% consistency? What about your thumping heart or that little breeze? Did your bullets weigh within 1% of each other? How perfect was your powder charge? SD is just one small contributor to accuracy.

Why does one load produce a different SD than a similar load with only powder charge changing? Well, all powders have a happy place. Get the right fire lit behind the right bullet in the right barrel and that rifle will just sing a song. Change just a little and you have the wrong fire lit. Do you speak enough GearHead to know about air-fuel mixtures? It's a pretty fair analogy. Adding more fuel doesn't always make the motor happier! There's a sweet spot and it can vary from motor to motor and even day to day.

I hope this rambling post provided some food for thought, if not an actual answer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Simplistic explanation. A physics professor would need 300 pages to express this, but would include definitions and equations.

Pressure is part of the burn equation. Too low of pressure, weak, unsteady burn, variance in acceleration.
    The right pressure curve makes a smooth consistant burn that can readily be applied to accelerate the projectile uniformly.
    Too high or too fast of pressure build curve makes a less consistant acceleration, raising the standard deviation variance.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Simplistic explanation. A physics professor would need 300 pages to express this, but would include definitions and equations.

Pressure is part of the burn equation. Too low of pressure, weak, unsteady burn, variance in acceleration.
    The right pressure curve makes a smooth consistant burn that can readily be applied to accelerate the projectile uniformly.
    Too high or too fast of pressure build curve makes a less consistant acceleration, raising the standard deviation variance.

I'd REP you again for this comment, but apparently I'm supposed to spread the love. :)

@ the OP...Don't obsess about why one charge had a higher or lower Standard Deviation. Also, unless a load with a low SD also shows great accuracy, don't pay a whole lot of attention to SD at all. The proof is in the bugholes.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

Adding to your explanation, the harmonics, and the way they effect the specific barrel the load is being shot in make a big difference in accuracy. This is why a load that bugholes in one rifle will only pattern in another. Its also why the Browning BOSS system worked as well as it did. Tuning the harmonics of a specific load into a barrel by moving weight up and down the barrel in effect does the same as changing the charge weight slightly up or down.

Top Bottom