• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    How often does one expect to find an undersize bullet when buying from a commercial source. I haven't loaded many cast bullets, usually either plated of jacketed but I was loading some cast .38 special and had one fall into the case. I measured said projectile to be .008 undersize. So no chance it was a 9mm in the wrong box. Also had a few topped up with lube but it wasn't a disaster.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It happens, I cast my own to keep the diameter up. They work better when they are .001 or better over bore.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Seeing how those bullets are being mass produced through a automated machine, casting and resizer I wouldn't find it at all unbelievable but thankfully not often.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Yup...Shooting/loading for 45-70 things get even worse...Many casters size their boolits to .457 when many bores are .459+.

The undersized stuff usually leads like crazy with poor accuracy to boot.

I do believe you are asking about the "occasional flyer"....which if they are all sized through the same sizer...they should be very consistent, unless they are "as cast".
    I have very rarely caught a significantly undersized bullet from a major caster...come to think of it, I never have....but I dont check every one either.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom