First malfunction since I started reloading.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    After finishing a stage yesterday, I went to unload and show clear. My slide was locked up, and it took a fare amount of force to get it to unlock. The case ejected, and powder went everywhere. The bullet was stuck in the chamber. My only assumption at this time, is the bullet was oversized, which caused it to lodge in the chamber.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Hmmmm...if you recovered the bullet, definitely put a caliper or micrometer to it to find out for sure.
    My first instinct would be that possible the case neck tension was insufficient for some reason, or the crimp wasn't quite right.
    Would definitely like to know.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    This has happened to me also. I cast with a Lee six cavity mold. there are slight but measurable differences in some of the cavities. I was seating the bullets just off the lands and that meant sometimes the area past the ogive would interfere in the lands. You can do as I did: Seat the bullets an additional 4-5 thousandths deeper. I recently got an Accurate mold and now have zero issues with bullet profiles. Also, some bullets are meant for revolvers and some are for auto loaders though the dimensions appear the same.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    115 grain Montana Gold FMJ.

I like to use those in my 9mm loads as well. I wonder if you are seating them just a bit long and this bullet engaged the lands of the barrel as others mentioned. This may also result in less neck tension as the bullet doesn't seat all that deep in the case to begin with since it is pretty short. I've had a similar malfunction on some .223 loads that I was working up for a bolt action rifle. I was trying to get them seated just off the lands. A few were a bit too long and when I cycled the action, the bullet stayed put and I made a big mess with powder everywhere.

Something you might try is to remove your bbl, and drop a few rounds into the chamber to see if the case is standing just a bit proud relative to the back of the barrel. Not sure what gun you are using, but most semi auto barrels but up against the breach face on the slide, so the case needs to be roughly flush with the end of the chamber. If it sticks out it could indicate that you are in fact touching the lands just a bit.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This is the first time out of roughly 6k rounds I have loaded. I load on a single stage and am very meticulous. I have personally never witnessed such a malfunction.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive had this happen with a cast bullet and a tight chamber...but only once...the other time was due to a manufacturers defect(chamber/throat cut too shallow).

As much as we may not like to admit it....we all make mistakes...$#!t happens.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom