• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    HP-38 and Winchester 231 both seem to be the same powders. I am wondering how well HP-38 does in 9mm and .380. I have seen alot of HP but never see Titegroup anywhere, other than a pound I got this past weekend. Just curious how this powder compares to Titegroup, never tried it and curious. Thanks INGO.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    W231 and HP 38 are the same powder in different cans.

Have used both W231 and Titegroup in 9mm and .380.
    The 9mm was some time ago, but I don't recall any huge differences. Both shot OK.
    My .380's seem to prefer Titegroup over W231 (HP38).

As always, YMMV

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I really like HP-38/231 in my 9mm. It seems to be more accurate than my Titegroup and I like the recoil better. I still like Titegroup but I will try to stay stocked on both powders since they work so well.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I've been loading plated 124gr bullets with 4.5gr of HP-38 as my go to load for 9mm for a while now. I love it. Titegroup works well, but leaves the gun a whole lot dirtier than HP-38 does.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I really like HP-38/231 in my 9mm. It seems to be more accurate than my Titegroup and I like the recoil better. I still like Titegroup but I will try to stay stocked on both powders since they work so well.

Titegroup is a little smokey with cast bullets, how does HP do with cast? Anyone here have experience with HP and cast bullets? Thanks again INGO...

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Titegroup is a little smokey with cast bullets, how does HP do with cast? Anyone here have experience with HP and cast bullets? Thanks again INGO...

W231/HP-38 load great for cast....I run a 125gr LRN with all my my 9mm loads and w231 is my go to powder....it does smoke a little but NOTHING like titegroup(garbage) and it was also more accurate than I am(not difficult anymore).

I dont recall my load data off the top of my head but IIRC it was about a 3/4 max load from the 49th lyman.....?

I love 231 for lead...it doesnt smoke as bad, and doesnt overheat the gun like TG...did I mention that I HATE Titegroup?

God bless
    -Shred

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    W231/HP-38 load great for cast....I run a 125gr LRN with all my my 9mm loads and w231 is my go to powder....it does smoke a little but NOTHING like titegroup(garbage) and it was also more accurate than I am(not difficult anymore).

I dont recall my load data off the top of my head but IIRC it was about a 3/4 max load from the 49th lyman.....?

I love 231 for lead...it doesnt smoke as bad, and doesnt overheat the gun like TG...did I mention that I HATE Titegroup?

God bless
    -Shred

Thanks for the input...may have to get a pound and try it out. Use my Titegroup to load up FMJ and HP to load up cast. Thanks again...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am fine tuning some HP-38 loads. Just need to get to the range again to run them across the chrono. 4.0 - 4.4 grains under a 124 grain Bayou Bullets. My Lee turret press has a 3.9 and 4.3 grain disc. Both loads cycled fine. The 4.3 grain was about 133+ PF in the cold. The 3.9 grain load seemed a bit light. Accuracy was good out to 15 yards.

Top Bottom