• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Looking to get a new press, mine died. It was the cast aluminum Lee press, only one I could find after Sandy Hook. Opinions on the 3 hole versus the 4 hole. Going to pick it up this next weekend and figured I would ask here first. Any other press I should be looking at, opinions? Thanks again.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Was your first press a single stage or Lee's original turret ? If its the turret, are you sure you wore it out, and it's simply not the $.50 plastic ratchet that needs replaced ?

If your first press met your needs for the amount/ speed you are looking to load, I would seriously consider the turret/ another turret... I would pay the difference and get the CLASSIC though. The classic is much heavier built than the original cast aluminum version. I believe the classic is only available in the 4 hole though, but is a nice feature if you feel their factory crimp die would benefit you. I use the FCD on all handgun loads with jacketed or plated bullets, but not on cast.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    View attachment 37756

I bought the cheap cast aluminum Lee press. It was the only one I could find after Sandy Hook. I am looking at the Classic turret, just figured I would see if anyone had time with this press and how good it is. Thanks again INGO.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I went from an old single stage to the Lee Classic 4 hole. Best move ever. I use the factory die for all pistol loads. I believe I will have no problem moving to rifle loads. Worth every penny.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Go with a 4 hole turret press. The Lee "Classic" turret is cast. I have a Lee Deluxe turret which has the aluminum body that collects the primers. I have been quite happy with the press for pistol cartridges.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    I will have to agree with the other posters did what you had to did your purposes and just wore out then I would look maybe for the next step up If reloading seems to be your thing
    going to stay with it for several years I've got to be real honest with you I would upgrade to's Dillon product you just can't beat the quality warranty amount of volume you can get out of one of their press after having a 550 for over 25 years I finally upgraded to the 650 and wish I had done it 10 years earlier

Dave I.B.C

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I will have to agree with the other posters did what you had to did your purposes and just wore out then I would look maybe for the next step up If reloading seems to be your thing
    going to stay with it for several years I've got to be real honest with you I would upgrade to's Dillon product you just can't beat the quality warranty amount of volume you can get out of one of their press after having a 550 for over 25 years I finally upgraded to the 650 and wish I had done it 10 years earlier

Dave I.B.C

Look at the pic I posted...the press body broke. I reload 30 30, 9mm, .380. I have plans to reload .223 in the near future. But have no more plans to collect any other calibers.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I upgraded mine to a four hole for loading .40 with a taper crimp die. I also load 9mm,.38 and .45acp. I don't think I gained much because the lee dies I use don't really roll crimp on the . 40 like I thought it would. Except for that,I use my press in the three hole configuration. All that being said it takes a minute to remove three bolts and switch the turret, so for me it really wasn't much of an upgrade. On the other side I am still using my single stage lee after 25 years for sizing lead and loading rifle, bummer it broke on you.

dmave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've been very happy with my Lee classic turret. Haven't been reloading very long, but I've really not had any significant problems out of the unit. I took the auto index off of it and mostly use it like a single stage for a station, then manually turn the disc and move on to the next step. I'd love to someday get to the point where I could justify and feel comfortable with a Dillon, but for now I'm just trying to make sure I get my process right.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had the old 3 hole/4 hole turret that is apparently no longer made. It came with two different indexing rods and you could use either. I reloaded thousands of rounds on it over many years and it lasted right up until I learned about small primer .45 the hard way and bent the primer holder doo-dad. The part was obsolete so I was kind of out of luck. I bought a new 4 hole and have loaded about 1,000 .357/.38 and about getting real close to 1,000 .45. The new one is better. That's not much of a durability test, but enough to say I like the new one better. The roller handle is much more comfy than the old wooden ball, and never comes off in your hand. Indexes easy, old primers fall out of the way and never get in the way, etc.

Yes, there are machines that will load a bajillion rounds while I do two boxes. I don't need to load a bajillion rounds. I like to load a box or two a day while listening to the radio. If I got to efficient I'd put myself out of a hobby.

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    I'm with BehindBlueI's on this one. Unless you're trying to load 1k rounds a week every week I just couldn't justify the cost of something like a Dillon. I bought my 4 hole Lee turret used from another member on here and it's been a great press and I can load at a decent pace with it.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I love my Classic Turret, 20k rounds so far and it is great for the amount of production I need.
    I love the fact I can change dies in seconds (I load 7 different calibers) cheaply and easily.
    I couldn't be happier and highly recommend one.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I really enjoy reloading on a turret press. I don't have to switch dies but yet still get the relaxing enjoyment of single stage reloading.

I almost got the Le Classic but opted for the RCBS because of it's 6 hole turrets. With the 6-hole design I can have the 4 dies plus a dedicated powder measure so I don't have to re-adjust the powder measure every time I change calibers and a spare hole for any specialty dies. I have a turret set-up for every caliber I reload so it's just a matter of switching turrets and off I go.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Just an update...I stopped at McDonalds in Marion today after work. Got to talking and he said he thought he had had a body for that press. Long story short, I got my press fixed for $4. Would like to have a new press, but its been working so far. Also got a deal worked for a Taurus 669, but that's a different story. I love that shop :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I had the old 3 hole/4 hole turret that is apparently no longer made. It came with two different indexing rods and you could use either. I reloaded thousands of rounds on it over many years and it lasted right up until I learned about small primer .45 the hard way and bent the primer holder doo-dad. The part was obsolete so I was kind of out of luck. I bought a new 4 hole and have loaded about 1,000 .357/.38 and about getting real close to 1,000 .45. The new one is better. That's not much of a durability test, but enough to say I like the new one better. The roller handle is much more comfy than the old wooden ball, and never comes off in your hand. Indexes easy, old primers fall out of the way and never get in the way, etc.

Yes, there are machines that will load a bajillion rounds while I do two boxes. I don't need to load a bajillion rounds. I like to load a box or two a day while listening to the radio. If I got to efficient I'd put myself out of a hobby.

Reloading is as enjoyable as shooting to me and often I shoot just so I have something to reload.

I have 2 Lee turret presses and both have had a few tens of k rounds through them, about 80% pistol. Occasional parts have broken and been replaced. I will say though that I am seriously considering the Redding T7 for all of my rifle and keeping the Lee for pistol. Anything above .223 and 300BLK seems to put a lot more stress on the Lee and while it will do it, I want a press built like a tank for when I am sizing machinegun fired 7.62 and when I am loading for precision rifle I want something with less slop in the tolerances.

Top Bottom