• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just finished sizing and depriming some .38 brass. I am using a RCBS single stage press and die. A couple of weeks ago I had no issues. Today I had several occasions where the primer wouldn't push all the way out. I kept trying to screw the pin down a little at a time but still had issues. I don't remember how far out I have the pin now but it is a lot further than on my 9mm die. I kept checking to make sure I wasn't damaging the primer pocket. Both lock nuts were tight so I know nothing was loosening up. This was also the same brass I reloaded a couple of weeks ago. Any thoughts? Thanks.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Only thing I can think of is 1, some .357 got mixed in there-- 2,the lock nut is not as tight as you think it is---or 3, there are some scratches on the pin body not allowing the jaws of the collet to tighten up. Or the pin body diameter is undersized. Or the collet is oversized. Okay so that's five things.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Some come out easier than others. Normal. Once you adjust for the toughest ones you're good to go. With the primed case in the die and ram as high as it goes adjust the deprimer with a screwdriver until the primer pops out. Also the die can be screwed all the way down until it is just shy of touching the shell holder.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Thanks for the input. I just thought it was strange that nothing was changed. Same brass, components, no adjustments to the die. The next time I am resizing, I will check things out again.

Top Bottom