Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have a friend that sealed a couple grand of 5.56 using a vacume sealer. He did it 100 rnds at a time and it sealed nicely. This was 2 years ago and it still looks good.

I never tried that but I use air tight ammo cans and put the moister absorbing packets in them and had pretty good results.

Thought I would post a pic of my first attempt at vacuum packing. So far so good. My son asked me a good question though. " How will you know how long it will last?"

“Go tell the Spartans, travelers passing by, that here, obedient to their laws we lie.”

"Before you say something about the barbecue sauce on somebody else's shirt, take a look at the barbecue sauce on your own shirt" Kid President

I would think that if it's non-corrosive ammo and air-tight it would last for years , but I don't know .

Quote Originally Posted by 2ADMNLOVER View Post
    I would think that if it's non-corrosive ammo and air-tight it would last for years , but I don't know .
    I should think you could count on that lasting longer than you. but why would you need it too?

My .22lr ammo I bought in the late '80s fired off no problem the other day. No vacuum-sealing or anything else; just sitting in their original Winchester boxes.
    "Some sports require one ball, skydiving requires both!"

Expert
    If you leave them in the box theres less chance for one of those 100 cases to rub up against something and cut the plastic.
    You could just mash the sharp edge of the box down a bit to make it less pointy and seal 'em up like that. Box provides a little more carry-ability.
    Just thinkin....

I have a buddy that does this when ammo he's not competing with and doesn't know when he'll use it. He seals it in small bags of 100. He recently gave me 3 small bags (300 rds) and I used it during a class. I know it was several years old, but I don't know exactly. I'd say go for it. If I had a vacuum sealer, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
    WVRPC USPSA Match Director // Indiana Multigun Series Shooter

In my opinion, vaccuum sealing is just wasting time/money. There's no need for it as ammunition will remain ready to go for much longer than you and I will live.

In a SHTF scenario, that ammo should already be loaded into mags and ready to go.

Looks cool though!

ETA: My 7.62x54R ammo is over 42 years old and has never mis-fired. I've also witnessed 60 year old .45ACP ammo to fire without problems.
    Last edited by IN_Varmntr; 06-18-2009 at 09:36.
    <- Taken too seriously.

Proud Fantastic Bastard of Ranstad's Militia!

I was not aware that ammo had an expiration date..? I've shot very old ammo before and never had any problems.
    mebfsdffyuk...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast