• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    This has been bugging me for some time so I wanted to ask the questions. What is the purpose of these hollow points? They are sold for reloading and used in some Freedom Munition loads as well.
    https://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-124-gr-HP-p/fm9j124r-c1000.htm
    9mm 124 HP

Freedom Munitions state that they are not to be used for self defense rounds, no description from Xtreme. So what does the hollow point do that a round or truncated nose can't?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Its a plated bullet , it will not preform in the same manner as a true jacketed hollow point bullet.
    Its plated to prevent barrel leading,,

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Aside from costing more and looking cool when looking at the hexagonal hollowpoint, maybe they're intended to penetrate less for some unknown purpose.
    Seeing that hexagonal hollowpoint reminds me of the pentagonal hollowpoint in CCI Stinger ammo (CCI calls it "Pentapoint") that's designed to make the bullet expand violently into a star shape to be more effective against varmints and medium sized game.
    Maybe these are intended to expand much the same way if used for coyote, fox, and other such critters.
    All educated guesses, of course.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    GluemanZ28 uses them for plinking. The idea is to get more weight to the back of the bullet. The theory is it is more accurate.

The Hornady XTP bullet is known for it's accuracy and is used for matches all over the place (by those who can afford them.)

I did shoot some of Gluemans reloads. They hit where I was pointing.

XC9MM-115HP-B0500-2.jpg

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would tend to believe the flat top hollow point has more to do with length and feeding not only in 9mm but more so with 357 Sig.
    If it had a round nose it would be to long in 357 Sig.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Wondered the same thing myself. Cant figure out what good they would be especially for additional cost.

Maybe they would blow up water jugs better.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    These are NOT SD loads. They are loads that we have used for shooting steel plates and for practice. They were averaging about $10 higher per 1,000 than RN in the same weight. We have shot them up against other rounds, for the money they cant be beat.

I haven't done a water jug test yet, but I was told by RMR that they don't expand.

I don't have any scientific proof to back up my thoughts, but for shooting steel plates I feel that the flatter nose should do a better job creating force at angles. (I can use all the help I can get dropping the six plates)

I shoot these in 124 Gr pushed with Bullseye powder. I was able to spin the rotator that Romaine uses on his Tuesday night shoot at NCC with one mag in my G17. (The rotator can and will kick your butt)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The base is also concave and a little thicker plating and can be driven to a higher velocity.

Bullet/Load Info

I have used their standard and HP designs and did get better groups with the HPs out to 50 yards in both 9mm 147 and 45 230 grains. I have not tried them is any kind of media yet. The HP is a hex design and is pretty large actually. They may expand out of a carbine if not a handgun. I've loaded about 2000 between the 9mm 124 FP & 147 HP and the 230 45acp. I've been very happy with them and would still be using them if I hadn't gotten my casting equipment fired up again. Now I use powder coated cast in everything.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    NOTICE -- they make (or at least they used to make) a hollow point heavy base (HPHB I think) that was their only recommended 38 bullet for over 1200 FPS (I may be a bit off on the FPS)
    These bullets have heavier plating and could take the heat/friction/speed when driven faster. For a long time these were only available in HP. Not sure if they even still offer these.

As Others have said, accuracy is a possible reason (keeping weight near the back of the bullet), or perhaps feeding. But I think these hollow points offer little/no real expansion.

here's another thought -- would these be better on steel? dump more energy on the steel? Just a thought.

EDIT: lol, I should have read all the responses - it seems like I'm not alone in my thoughts/guesses about these bullets.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I have some 9mm 147 gr xtreme in both the hp and rn and the hp seems to be more accurate. I use them for plinking and steel shooting and they are my favorite to put in front of 3.6 gr of titegroup

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I did a gel test with these HP's, they did not expand at all. Do not use them for SD, it will perform no different than a FMJ.

ETA: Did the test with home made gel (Meijer brand gelatin). 10% gel concentration, uncalibrated. I'm too cheap to buy Clear Ballistics gel! lol

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I did a gel test with these HP's, they did not expand at all. Do not use them for SD, it will perform no different than a FMJ.

ETA: Did the test with home made gel (Meijer brand gelatin). 10% gel concentration, uncalibrated. I'm too cheap to buy Clear Ballistics gel! lol

What barrel length did you use? I'm wondering if there would be any from a carbine.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    This has been bugging me for some time so I wanted to ask the questions. What is the purpose of these hollow points? They are sold for reloading and used in some Freedom Munition loads as well.
    https://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-124-gr-HP-p/fm9j124r-c1000.htm
    9mm 124 HP

Freedom Munitions state that they are not to be used for self defense rounds, no description from Xtreme. So what does the hollow point do that a round or truncated nose can't?

For competition purposes, hollow points will leave a cleaner hole in the paper. They are also apparently more accurate, but I haven't found that to be entirely true... I'm probably just not good enough to see the accuracy difference between the RN and the HP's though. I have however shot both the RN and HP's from X-treme and I will say that the HP's leave a much cleaner hole. If that is something that a person needs, then the cost is definitely worth it.

Top Bottom