• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    OK, I did search first, and could not find anything that fit my needs.

As someone who is new to guns and ammo, I am looking at different brands, and not sure where to begin. I have read posts about "dirty" ammo, and other atrocities, so I am trying to avoid some of the pitfalls upfront, once and for all by looking to purchase reputable brands of ammo. Someday, I may look into reloading, but that is a long way down the road.

I see so many brands, what are a few good brands that sell decent ammo? I am only shooting 9mm at this point, and so far I have bought some butt-standard Federal 115 gr. FMJ as my target ammo, and some Barnes TAC-XPD 115 gr. +P hollow points for defense.

When I look on Wikiarms, I see brands like:

Magtech
    Sellier & Bellot
    Blazer
    etc.

So as I look to balance quality vs. cost (the million dollar question, right?), how do I go about choosing decent ammo that I can depend on?

Thanks!

James

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Here's what I did but it was costly up front.

I go online or to local gun store and buy one box of "everything" offered in the caliber I need, 5-10 boxes usually. I go out and shoot 5 rounds from 7 and 15 yards and stick with the best grouping for that gun. Especially for defense rounds. In my case, Hornady defense rounds grouped noticeably better. CCI brass was the best target round. Now once in a while, I re shoot the defense rounds because different lot numbers can change performance, but hornady and federal always seem to be at the top of my list defensively and cci blazer for target practice.

This method also keeps some amount around to test the next pistol of the same caliber.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You didn't mention what gun you are buying for. Some are more ammo sensitive than others.

As a rule, any major manufacturer brass-cased FMJ (practice ammo) works fine. Some indeed are dirtier than others. That isn't remotely a sin, just something to be aware of as it will mean that you will want to clean more frequently/thoroughly. Steel-cased ammo is more debatable as it can be harder on the internals of a gun, but it works and is cheaper. Reloaded/remanufactured ammo is another area of debate as they seem to be of more variable quality. Don't be afraid to buy a 50 round box of any major FMJ and try it out. It should work and you can just watch to see if have any concerns when in use, like if it is underpowered or "too dirty".

I've used MagTech, S&B and Blazer (brass & aluminum) FMJ and all have worked fine in my firearms.

Hollow points are where you want to be more careful. The nature of the flat/hollow points mean that some don't feed smoothly on some firearms. Since you are depending on these to be life-savers, this is literally a potential life-or-death choice. For that reason, you should test any hollow points and make sure that it works 100% in your firearm. The number of rounds to test is a subject of debate, but I recommend 50 rounds of perfect functionality and accuracy to feel confident with your firearm/HP combo.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

I go online or to local gun store and buy one box of "everything" offered in the caliber I need, 5-10 boxes usually. I go out and shoot 5 rounds from 7 and 15 yards and stick with the best grouping for that gun. Especially for defense rounds. In my case, Hornady defense rounds grouped noticeably better. CCI brass was the best target round. Now once in a while, I re shoot the defense rounds because different lot numbers can change performance, but hornady and federal always seem to be at the top of my list defensively and cci blazer for target practice.

This method also keeps some amount around to test the next pistol of the same caliber.

That does sound expensive! At my level of expertise however, there is going to be more variation from technique rather than from the type of ammo. My groupings are getting tighter, week by week, but I am certainly in the place yet where slight variations can be attributed to the ammo.

I will store this suggestion for later use however, and may be able to use a variation of it, even in my novice state.

Thanks for the response.

James

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    You didn't mention what gun you are buying for. Some are more ammo sensitive than others.

I am shooting an H&K VP9.

As a rule, any major manufacturer brass-cased FMJ (practice ammo) works fine. Some indeed are dirtier than others. That isn't remotely a sin, just something to be aware of as it will mean that you will want to clean more frequently/thoroughly. Steel-cased ammo is more debatable as it can be harder on the internals of a gun, but it works and is cheaper. Reloaded/remanufactured ammo is another area of debate as they seem to be of more variable quality. Don't be afraid to buy a 50 round box of any major FMJ and try it out. It should work and you can just watch to see if have any concerns when in use, like if it is underpowered or "too dirty".

So then "dirty" means just what it says, it makes your gun more full of carbon/lead, etc. Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking much more sinister, like the powder did not fire completely or correctly.

I've used MagTech, S&B and Blazer (brass & aluminum) FMJ and all have worked fine in my firearms.

OK, that is good to hear, since those brands are all over Wikiarms, and tend to have some of the best pricing.

Hollow points are where you want to be more careful. The nature of the flat/hollow points mean that some don't feed smoothly on some firearms. Since you are depending on these to be life-savers, this is literally a potential life-or-death choice. For that reason, you should test any hollow points and make sure that it works 100% in your firearm. The number of rounds to test is a subject of debate, but I recommend 50 rounds of perfect functionality and accuracy to feel confident with your firearm/HP combo.

I just put a box of 20 rounds of the Barnes TAC-XPD +P hollow points through my VP9 tonight without issues. They were very snappy, and I loved the way they fired. I got a pretty decent grouping with them as well. I do want to try the Hornaday defense rounds, as I see a lot of my friends shooting them as their defense rounds, and foszoe mentions them above as well.

Thanks.

James

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    WWB - Winchester White Box is one of the "dirty" brands. I shoot just about all of the name brands and have no problems with the ammo. When you pick your self defense ammo, make sure it works in your gun. I run at least 100 rounds of it through my carry guns. I know it isn't cheap, usually around $1 a rojnd, but your life could depend on it.

As far as picking a defensive round, stick with the major manufacturers premuim lines. Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, Hornady Critical Defense or Duty are most of the options. (I know I'm forgetting a few). You really can't go wrong with any of them.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    We've had VERY good results with Precision (Hobart IN)
    ammo at Parabellum. At this point it's the only thing we have in centerfire range ammo. Seems to run very well in everything.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

How tight are your groups from 7 and 15 yards? How much variation are you seeing between brands?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    How tight are your groups from 7 and 15 yards? How much variation are you seeing between brands?

With Hornady, I would make 1 jagged hole. I didn't keep a data book, but I do have the paper plates stashed somewhere.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've found that I prefer 124gr 9mm ammo, over 115gr. Like has been said above, most major ammo manufacturers are good and some guns like different ammo better. I've been using Blazer Brass and Speer Lawman the most lately and really like both. Federal American Eagle is another brand that I prefer, but not if it's more expensive than the other brands I shoot. I stay away from steel cased ammo, but the aluminum cased ammo I've tried has been fine (federal aluminum). If you look around, you should be able to find good 9mm ammo for $12 per box of 50 or less, or less than .24/round. Targetsportsusa online has good deals if you buy by the case (free shipping), or Walmart usually carries Perfecta 115gr 9mm ammo for under $11 per box and Federal aluminum cased around the same or less.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Since I started reloading, I look for good deals on ammo from manuf. that I know have decent brass that runs good in my guns. Some of my favorites are Blazer Brass, Winchester and PMC.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My target ammo includes:
    PMC
    Armscor
    Blazer Brass
    American Eagle
    Remington
    ...others I'm forgetting.

I really don't have a favorite though.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Most factory ammo is going to treat you right. I when I buy locally, I stick to mostly Blazer Brass, Remington UMC, and Winchester White Box. I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm from Freedom Munitions about a year ago, and it is by far my favorite.

I don't worry too much about "dirty" ammo, but I actually enjoy cleaning my guns.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Personally, I would suggest going the re-manufactured route... you can usually get a case for around $200+shipping, which is cheaper than just about anything you will find in the store. Freedom Munitions, as mentioned above, makes a great product that shoots well and cost is hard to beat, even for reloaders. There's really no need to spend a lot of extra money on blasting ammo by going with big name expensive brands like CCI, Federal, Hornady, etc... you are shooting it for time behind the gun, not for shooting fancy groups.

As for the bullcrap spilled earlier about steel cased ammo damaging the inside of your gun, if your gun is that cheaply made, then yeah, steer clear of it and even brass cased because the steel in your gun is crap and is going to fail no matter what you put in it. But, since it's a 9mm and not a plastic air soft gun, I think you'll be just fine if you find a heck of a deal and want to go that route. I've shot tons of Tula and Wolf with no problems from either and I'll continue to shoot it if I find amazing deals on it, regardless of what some of the internet commando's say.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    +1 for Freedom Munitions. I ordered 2k rounds 9mm on my last order. I've had one bad round so far but i still have 500 rounds left.

+1 for steel cased ammo. All of my rifles like steel case ammo.
    ***Except the silver bear ammunition Can't remember the exact name but it was dirt cheap steel cased 9mm. It worked most of the time but I practiced A LOT of malfunctions with it. Wouldn't recommend.

Top Bottom