• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    ....has begun. Picked up a bucket of Remington Golden for $79. That's under $30/brick.

Don't worry about the prices that are still inflated. Having ammo on the shelves is what is key. Once people expect it to be there, the instant disappearance of bulk packs will stop, and then the prices will start to fall.

i think it will stabilize around $25/brick once it does.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Well enjoy it because as soon as the Democrats announce who is running in the general election everyone is gonna freak out again.

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    I seen the buckets at Bass Pro a couple weeks ago. I haven't had too many problems finding .22 this year. It's not always on the shelf, but its becoming more common to see it than not.

It also looks like CCI and Federal are adding more production but it probably wont be up until the end of the year.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I just sold two boxes here tonite. Probably my last ammo run as I am starting to see it regularly on the shelf everywhere except the obvious places like Walmart.

I travel a lot to areas that have never been hit by the 22 shortage for some bizarre reason so I try to bring back a couple boxes and sell at cost to help out. I was in Huntsville Tuesday and the 5 guys that I was teaching had never heard of a 22 shortage other than the shelves going bare a couple days before the next truck when they got another couple cases. (hell, they can buy non-volatile reloading supplies at Walmart down there! They carry everything but primers and powder:faint:)

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    The Walmart in Clinton has primers and powder. Although powder is just starting to show back up there. The lady who used to work behind the counter was a competitive shooter. You could buy a complete rcbs Rockchucker setup plus dies. And it's actually the last place I found .22. 1k rounds of m-22 for $50.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Rural King had bricks sitting on the counter last weekend. Cheap stuff, but still 47 bucks for 500.

It was the first time I had seen anything resembling bricks at a store since Newtown.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I think the announcements by CCI and Federal, of increased production coming on line, has slowed down the hoarders and gougers, so more rounds are available.

Oddly, some parts of the country have not seen shortages, only modest increases in price.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    An LGS near me has an ample supply of various 22lr ammo in stock and has had for awhile now. Buckets for $91.99, 500-525 cartons for $35 , 325rd Fed MC for $21 and CCI Minimags for $27 for the 300rd Troy Landry Choot 'em box. Over the past month it has just sat, nobody looks to be buying any of it. They seem surprised at this.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    The Walmart in Clinton has primers and powder. Although powder is just starting to show back up there. The lady who used to work behind the counter was a competitive shooter. You could buy a complete rcbs Rockchucker setup plus dies. And it's actually the last place I found .22. 1k rounds of m-22 for $50.

Walmart has primers and powder and a RCBS press??? :dunno:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'll be content when you can get a pound of powder with your Polar Pop at the corner Circle K.
    I'm paraphrasing, but someone else on the board once stated "I will not rest until you can buy an M249 from an airport vending machine".

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Been seeing quite a bit more down here also. Rural Kings in Jasper and E-ville have had Geco regularly the last 6 months or so, RK in E-ville today had at least 15 bricks on the shelf. Academy in Owensboro had a shelf full of various flavors of Aguila and CCI a couple of weeks ago. One LGS never really ran out but their prices, :rolleyes:. A couple of other places across the river have been getting in quite a bit since the first of the year.

Yep. I just sold two boxes here tonite. Probably my last ammo run as I am starting to see it regularly on the shelf everywhere except the obvious places like Walmart.

I travel a lot to areas that have never been hit by the 22 shortage for some bizarre reason so I try to bring back a couple boxes and sell at cost to help out. I was in Huntsville Tuesday and the 5 guys that I was teaching had never heard of a 22 shortage other than the shelves going bare a couple days before the next truck when they got another couple cases. (hell, they can buy non-volatile reloading supplies at Walmart down there! They carry everything but primers and powder:faint:)

Funny you should say Alabama. I've made a couple trips over the last year down close to Birmingham for work also, and found the same thing. First trip I brought back about 10,000 rounds for The Plinker household and a couple of my nieces and the second about 5,000 more. :cool:

An LGS near me has an ample supply of various 22lr ammo in stock and has had for awhile now. Buckets for $91.99, 500-525 cartons for $35 , 325rd Fed MC for $21 and CCI Minimags for $27 for the 300rd Troy Landry Choot 'em box. Over the past month it has just sat, nobody looks to be buying any of it. They seem surprised at this.

This the place in TC or the one across the river? I've been "talked into" buying quite a bit across the river. Guess they needed the shelf space.:):

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I find the most interesting aspect of this is the economics of it all-- in particular, how people's expectations affect things.

There is very much a self-fulfilling prophecy aspect to this. Rimfire ammo scarcity is most driven by the belief that there is scarcity or will be. If people think they will be able to go down to RK or Dunham's any time they like and find a brick at an acceptable (if not reasonable) price, then people don't buy it just because it's there. And when that happens, the ammo stays on the shelf and away we go.

Prices will fall. Slowly, but surely, just as gasoline prices eventually fell from the crazy heights of $145/bbl.

But that price falling can NEVER happen until ammo starts to show up again on the shelves-- and stay there long enough that people aren't buying mostly out of the insurance aspect (in case they can't buy it later).

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Been seeing quite a bit more down here also. Rural Kings in Jasper and E-ville have had Geco regularly the last 6 months or so, RK in E-ville today had at least 15 bricks on the shelf. Academy in Owensboro had a shelf full of various flavors of Aguila and CCI a couple of weeks ago. One LGS never really ran out but their prices, :rolleyes:. A couple of other places across the river have been getting in quite a bit since the first of the year.

Funny you should say Alabama. I've made a couple trips over the last year down close to Birmingham for work also, and found the same thing. First trip I brought back about 10,000 rounds for The Plinker household and a couple of my nieces and the second about 5,000 more. :cool:

This the place in TC or the one across the river? I've been "talked into" buying quite a bit across the river. Guess they needed the shelf space.:):

Yeah, over in KY, down by the aluminum mill.

Top Bottom