Gone 'home-brew' on my case lube... Lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    nope I use I tube of case lube and mix it with 1 bottle of heat which is a gasoline anti freeze and put it in a spray bottle and it last for a dam long time

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Same concept. Heet is a fuel dryer so mainly alcohol with a percentage of something else. I went to lanolin and alcohol over case lube a few months ago. Cheaper then store bought spray. And I have better results.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    Same concept. Heet is a fuel dryer so mainly alcohol with a percentage of something else. I went to lanolin and alcohol over case lube a few months ago. Cheaper then store bought spray. And I have better results.
    Heet in Red bottle(Iso Heet) is Isopropyl , Yellow bottle is Methanol which doesn't mix as well with Lanolin.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I have seen this posted several times but don't remember the ratio.

I kept reading about it and saw varying ratios. Honestly, 1:4 seems a little 'sweet'. I think you could try 1:8 and it would still work. One very light spray/mist from a rural king spray bottle goes a long way. Anything less than 99% isopropyl will contain some water so you could see separation and have to always give it a shake.

The funny thing is you'll see the 4oz liquid lanolin on AZ and it says its usually ordered with the 99% isopropyl. Yea, I get it. :):

Last edited:

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I have seen this posted several times but don't remember the ratio.

lol bow I can't remember how mush is in a tube... but a whole tube to 1 bottle of heat... it keeps my dies pretty darn clean and runs smooth.... then it does dry quick with no residue or brass tarnish... and it's cheap and last for ever.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you examine the Dillon Case lube and the Frankford arsenal product, I am pretty sure they are lanolin thinned with Iso. And they work great. They only time you get a sticky case is when you do not wait long enough for the iso to evaporate. 10 minutes is plenty of time.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok. So I am new to reloading and have been wondering about case lube. I reload 9mm and soon will be getting into 45 Colt. Do I need to lube the cases or am I fine on straight walls? If lube is recommended how does that work? Do you turn the case upside down spray them and let them sit? I would assume you don't want any lube inside the cartridge.

When I tumble I also use polish, make any difference?

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    Ok. So I am new to reloading and have been wondering about case lube. I reload 9mm and soon will be getting into 45 Colt. Do I need to lube the cases or am I fine on straight walls? If lube is recommended how does that work? Do you turn the case upside down spray them and let them sit? I would assume you don't want any lube inside the cartridge.

always lube and you will never have a problem

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A

Well... Some say if you use carbide dies then less/(no) lube. I personally don't 100% agree with that. Necked cases (.223, etc)= use lube. 20oz of home lube in a spray bottle will last a very long time.

I also use Brasso in my tumbler and it leaves the cases very 'slick'. Dry but 'slick'. You can feel it. YMMV.

For .223, Redding dies are fantastic. I recently picked up a set of the Red H dies and they are fussy about lube.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Just so you know 91% isopropyl alcohol works. But I wouldn't go less then that.

I've been using homemade case lube for 2 years, the 91% didn't work well for me at all.

the water in the alcohol makes the Lanolin clumps up.

99% alcohol is 100%, but technically, once you open the container, it's no longer 100%.

I bought a gallon jug from Grainger. and I mix it for my friends, too.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Been using lanolin since picking up a bucket full from a chemical supply warehouse in urban cowboy country (north of Mickey Gilley's place, down the street from where Santa Ana took a lickin'). Been using it for case lube and in bullet lube formulas since... when ever the heck it was I went by there.

superluckycat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Madison

You don't have to lube straight wall pistol cases but it makes the press run smoother, especially a progressive.

I dump a couple hundred cases into a gallon baggie, lay it flat on the bench and spread the cases out so there is only one layer in the bag. Mist a couple squirts into the bag (a quality sprayer is helpful). Close it up and roll the cases in the bag on the bench. Pick it up and give the bag a good shaking then dump them in a tupperware container with the lid off to dry.

I'll do a few thousand at time. I also tumble the loaded rounds for about 10 minutes to clean them up and get the lube off.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I've been using the home brew for a few years on rifle I find 1:12 to work just fine. For pistol, with carbide dies, never use lube myself. Never found a need for it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yes for a few years now. Best stuff I have ever used. Anything else I had went into garbage. Lube my single stage press with it too. Works soooooo nice.

Dillon is the same.

Mix away save money and be happy

Top Bottom