• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It seems RMR has sold out of 147 grain plated 9mm projectiles, and so I went searching elsewhere. I went over to xtreme to poke around and noticed you can purchase 165 grain projectiles. I personally don't have any experience with them, but I know Freedom's hush ammo is loaded with some and it's silly quiet (I am planning on loading this for suppressor use).

I am curious as to if I should jump in on it or stay with what I've got going. From what I've seen using the google is that people are running it with about 2.6 grains of titegroup and an oal of 1.140. However, it appears that most people are running it for competition not for quiet loads.

Does anyone on INGO have any experience with them?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    No experience yet, I saw them too and have been kicking the idea around. If they will stabilize at subsonic speeds, I think they would be great for suppressor use.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I use the Xtreme 165's for USPSA in my 627 8 shot revolver, no problems at all with them.

I did some loads at the 2.6 Titegroup. They were quiet out of my AAC Eco9 can. Out of my Liberty Mystic X on the M&P they started to tumble and would have light baffle strikes. They would not tumble out of the AAC.

After a phone call to Liberty and bouncing ideals off each other, we determined that since the Mystic has a mono-core and the AAC is a baffle stack, coupled with the Mystic being slightly larger volume inside, that the 165 was starting to yawl at the end of it's pass through the can. We figured that in the Mystic it was not stabilizing due to the larger internal volume. I upped the charge to 3.0 and the I did not have any problems with strikes or the bullet yawl.

Even at 3.0 it's still quiet.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Question, at that increased bullet length, is barrel twist rates an issue? I know it is for a rifle, has anyone seen that in pistols or revolvers?

I mostly reload the standard factory bullet weights in each handgun caliber.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Question, at that increased bullet length, is barrel twist rates an issue? I know it is for a rifle, has anyone seen that in pistols or revolvers?

I mostly reload the standard factory bullet weights in each handgun caliber.

I have not seen it. If I do my part, it's a very accurate bullet. It's even accurate out of my 9mm SBR.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I use the Xtreme 165's for USPSA in my 627 8 shot revolver, no problems at all with them.

I did some loads at the 2.6 Titegroup. They were quiet out of my AAC Eco9 can. Out of my Liberty Mystic X on the M&P they started to tumble and would have light baffle strikes. They would not tumble out of the AAC.

After a phone call to Liberty and bouncing ideals off each other, we determined that since the Mystic has a mono-core and the AAC is a baffle stack, coupled with the Mystic being slightly larger volume inside, that the 165 was starting to yawl at the end of it's pass through the can. We figured that in the Mystic it was not stabilizing due to the larger internal volume. I upped the charge to 3.0 and the I did not have any problems with strikes or the bullet yawl.

^^^That is excellent information, thank you and repped!!!^^^

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've use a lot of Lee 125 grain RNF bullets in 9mm even though the mold is for .358, they also make a similar mold in 158 grain.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

This is what I'm worried about... I think I could just load them a little hot to be safe. I've got a chrono and can shoot them on paper to check for any tumbling but I want to avoid any chance for baffle strikes at all costs! I can load 3 I suppose but this honestly kind of makes me shy towards just going with some 147's honestly... I'll kick it around I suppose knowing if I go with 3.0 i'll be ok is comforting, but still!

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    This is what I'm worried about... I think I could just load them a little hot to be safe. I've got a chrono and can shoot them on paper to check for any tumbling but I want to avoid any chance for baffle strikes at all costs! I can load 3 I suppose but this honestly kind of makes me shy towards just going with some 147's honestly... I'll kick it around I suppose knowing if I go with 3.0 i'll be ok is comforting, but still!

I forgot to add this to my post.

While upping the charge stabilized the 165's, I went back to the 147's. To be honest, my beat up hearing could not tell a difference in the sound suppression between 147 and 165.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I forgot to add this to my post.

While upping the charge stabilized the 165's, I went back to the 147's. To be honest, my beat up hearing could not tell a difference in the sound suppression between 147 and 165.

Good to know! Thanks a lot for the input!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hey Dog1,
    I should have asked you this before, but I forwent the 165's for 147's after this thread. I just got my 147's, do you care to share your load using them? I'm also using titegroup, and it may save me some time playing around with things if I have a good starting point.

Top Bottom