• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Bought a new smith .40 ss and got to fire 3 rounds of win. White box. I'm fine as it just bulged the bbl a little. 2 cops and a local range owner witnessed it. Will winchester replace my brand new bbl? This is why I reload. I know there's a charge in each case.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Did you fire a second round down the barrel after the squib? I've only had one squib and it didn't bulge the barrel.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Please post pics..... I am a S&W guy, and I have NEVER seen a S&W barrel bulge .....
    I'll try to get pics. Its not uncommon as most of us hope it will never happen. Smith did call me back and I was unable to get back with them today. I'm not at all shocked but a couple guys I was shooting with had never seen a squib go down. I was doing a double tap excersize with the guys and my slide jammed half way back. It was wedged1-3 the way back. We tapped it with a hammer and board and it went back into battery and I was able to break it down. No one noticed anything. Only on further inspection did I notice the slide would not go back enough to pick up a round. And I noticed a bulge. Filing the bulge out and continuing using the bbl isn't uncommon either. Pics to come soon.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you tamper with the barrel by filing it down, there is no way that Winchester will replace that barrel.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    If you tamper with the barrel by filing it down, there is no way that Winchester will replace that barrel.

I hear ya. Bbls are cheap for this and I wasn't holding my breathe. Over 30 years of shooting, I steer clear of box ammo. If I buy it I buy it for the brass and even that's rare. Iv seen several ammo companies totally deny any wrong doing for years. The longer they can deny.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Upon further inspection. Of the 4 RDS I fired. I noticed one was split. It split and let the gasses out around the slug and the bolt face and slide. It cycled the pistol. That's what confused me. A split case can cause a low pressure round.is bbl obstruction. I have everything winchester wants. Box lot#. Receipt. And the shell casing that did it. Kudos to smiths as bbl. I'm fine and am unhurt. Other than my pride. Lol

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Upon further inspection. Of the 4 RDS I fired. I noticed one was split. It split and let the gasses out around the slug and the bolt face and slide. It cycled the pistol. That's what confused me. A split case can cause a low pressure round.is bbl obstruction. I have everything winchester wants. Box lot#. Receipt. And the shell casing that did it. Kudos to smiths as bbl. I'm fine and am unhurt. Other than my pride. Lol

GOOD to hear ..... Keep us posted, about what happens .....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Please post pics..... I am a S&W guy, and I have NEVER seen a S&W barrel bulge .....

Neighbor of mine bought a Model 14 at a local auction, really unhappy when I pointed out the bulged barrel to him. He still shoots it and plans on keeping it after looking into the cost of barrel replacement.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Neighbor of mine bought a Model 14 at a local auction, really unhappy when I pointed out the bulged barrel to him. He still shoots it and plans on keeping it after looking into the cost of barrel replacement.

Does that kind of bulge come from shooting lead and jacketed with out removing the lead residue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Does that kind of bulge come from shooting lead and jacketed with out removing the lead residue.

I've never seen a bulge from that and I shoot a lot of cast lead. This one was a very obvious ring so my best guess was a squib followed by a full power round. He wasn't happy with the auction house at all.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Anyone know who has smith bbls in stock? Brownells has some but the don't say as. I think I need to search sigma bbl. I think this sve replaced the sigme. Any advice? I also seen it one other place for $69. I'm just grateful mybface is intact.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Anyone know who has smith bbls in stock? Brownells has some but the don't say as. I think I need to search sigma bbl. I think this sve replaced the sigme. Any advice? I also seen it one other place for $69. I'm just grateful mybface is intact.

I didn't look for barrels for an S&W Shield, but Midway has barrels for the M&P in the approx. $75 range.
    If you can't arrive at a satisfactory solution through either Winchester or S&W, I'd strongly encourage replacing that barrel rather than just filing it down and taking a chance with it, especially if you intend to do any more double tap drills or intend to use it for carry.
    You don't want to take a chance that the barrel will cause a failure to feed/fire/eject when your life depends upon it.
    Even if just target shooting, that barrel's integrity is already compromised because of one squib, and you could get another or an over-pressure load in the future.
    The end result of either could be having the receiver catastrophically snapped (bad) in a way that renders the gun irreparable, or you could get all kinds of new openings in your hands or face (much worse, obviously), some of which may likewise be irreparable.
    As for where to get new barrels, the most obvious answer is to call S&W directly and ask which vendors sell barrels for your make/model pistol, but off the top of my head (can't verify since my location at the moment has it firewalled), you'd likely have good luck finding a barrel on the old reliable Firearm Parts & Accessories | Military Surplus | Numrich Gun Parts

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    8< 8< snip 8< 8< ... Filing the bulge out and continuing using the bbl isn't uncommon either. 8< 8< snip 8< 8<
    Whaaaat?!?

You do realize that the bulge isn't just on the outside of the barrel? That it originates from the inside? You know, where the bullet is supposed to travel while engaging the rifling? How do you propose correcting the interior of this barrel? Use what you filed off the outside to repair the inside?

Good grief, a bulged barrel is toast, you cannot honestly be considering using it for anything except a paperweight.

Wait a minute ... I just got it ... you were just joking about this ... man, I need more coffee.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Smith "may" replace the barrel. I know of a squib instance that bulged a smith barrel, and smith took care of it.

WWB is total crap. They should be ashamed of themselves.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Smith "may" replace the barrel. I know of a squib instance that bulged a smith barrel, and smith took care of it.

WWB is total crap. They should be ashamed of themselves.

What was the tipoff about WWB...their penchant for having small primer pockets for their .45 ACP?:lmfao:
    Craptastic

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Glad to hear you're OK. About the bulged barrel, how does that happen? A squib--or even an under power powder charge--that can't push the bullet out of the barrel is going to bulge it? The bullet going out the barrel is the path of least resistance. If anything, you'd think that excess pressure would blow the action open.

once, I had a cartridge slowly cook off instead of going bang. The bullet get stuck 1/3 up the barrel, but no bulge. I was using a revolver and maybe the open cylinder gap made a difference?

Top Bottom