• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

I'm so happy with my new powder measure, I had to tell everyone in the middle of my reloading session!!! It came in the mail yesterday. It was on sale at Midway, and I sprung for the small pistol rotor assembly which was on sale too. It blows the Lee measure away. Quality of product is outstanding!. This thing should outlive me. But the most important thing is it is throwing consistent charges of Unique!!! Once set at 2.8 grains for my .380. it never went over 2.9, and never under 2.75. Well worth the money. Very pleased!! Ok...now back to the reloading bench. :):

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Glad to hear it, and even more glad that the advice the INGO folks gave you for what to get solved your problem so nicely.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Glad to hear it, and even more glad that the advice the INGO folks gave you for what to get solved your problem so nicely.

Sure thing!! Thanks INGO!! I plan to give the Lee a second chance, when I load the .357 mag and .44 mag with jacketed bullets and H110. But the Hornady will be my work horse!!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Sure thing!! Thanks INGO!! I plan to give the Lee a second chance, when I load the .357 mag and .44 mag with jacketed bullets and H110. But the Hornady will be my work horse!!

Yep
    The Lee will probably work fine as a secondary for spherical powders, but it's hard to beat a good old fashioned cast iron conventional measure for most loading.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep
    The Lee will probably work fine as a secondary for spherical powders, but it's hard to beat a good old fashioned cast iron conventional measure for most loading.

Oh, just one thought here, but when I'm using my RCBS Uniflow measure (very similar to the Hornady L-N-L), I use a trick I read about decades ago that helps get more consistent charges.
    Find a fairly strong rubber band and put one end on the operating handle and the other end around the fixed portion of the measure (usually right under the powder hopper).
    Now, operate the handle normally, which puts the rubber band under tension until the powder dispenses into the case, then just release the operating handle, at which point the rubber band brings the handle quickly back to where it picks up a fresh charge for the metering chamber and bounces once just a bit.
    What that will do is make it easier to consistently pick up a charge in the metering chamber for more precise powder charges when dispensed.
    It's a pretty cool trick if you feel like trying it out, and it would be interesting to drop a couple of dozen without the rubber band, weigh and record each charge, then do another couple of dozen of dozen with the rubber band this time, then weigh and record the charges to compare.

phidelt208

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I liked my Lee and felt it proformed well but it did Leak with small small ball powders, everything else it worked great.

alopez96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Fishers
    Which Lee powder powder measure did you have? I have their newer auto drum measure and it does not leak and is very accurate. No experience with hornady though. Glad you like it

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Which Lee powder powder measure did you have? I have their newer auto drum measure and it does not leak and is very accurate. No experience with hornady though. Glad you like it

That's the same one I have. I plan to keep it and load magnums with H110. That way I don't have to deal with changing the powder out of the Hornady. I think part of my problem with the Lee auto-drum is my press sits at an angle. I think this makes it even more difficult for the flakes of Unique to fall freely. With H110 being spherical, and heavier, it falls more easily and should not be a problem getting accurate loads.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    As far as the Lee goes I made it a habit to rap on the drum with a small wrench every time I throw a charge. It throws very consistent. If their beam scale worked as good I wouldn't have retired it for a rcbs 505.

Top Bottom