• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Not reloading yet, collect brass, now looking to clean brass. Was looking to pick up a HF tumbler to clean (also to stonewash a blade). Will a HF tumbler be a decent investment or should I look elsewhere? Not apposed to buying used or spending a big more upfront if it's worthwhile.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had a business where I ran tumblers 24/7, for months at a time. The big Lyman "pro" units held a lot of brass and did a good job, but the harder and thinner plastic bowls eroded fairly quickly. The Midway ones got hot and lost motors. For light hobby use they would probably all be fine.

The Hornady M-2 is a smaller size that you would typically see. It ran the whole time and after washing off the dust, it still looks like new. I know it is a little more money, but it is one of those buy a good one once instead of several cheap ones kind of thing. I still use the Hornady M-2 every week for my own use.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I have this one, and have probably 100 hours of tumbling on it. No complaints. Of course I wish it was a little bit bigger, but didn't want to go overboard right off of the bat.

I have the Franford tumbler as well... Load it up with brass, media and few drops of Brasso before I leave for work and let it run all day on the back porch. Arrive home to shiny brass. I've added a tube of Daisy steel BB's to see if it helps. You have to make sure there are no BB's in your cases when finished.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have a Lyman Pro that I've had for 8 years and have cleaned a lot of brass in it. I use treated corncob media and it is still going strong. Sometimes it runs 8 hours a day or more.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'll throw my :twocents: for the Lyman pro series since that's what I have experience with. Thousands of pieces of brass over the past couple of years and no issues.

I will say however that I'm eyeballing the Frankford Arsenal Rotary tumbler. The vibratory tumbler just isn't cutting it for processing bulk brass.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    No Dillon vote yet??????

I have had the big Dillon's for over 15 years..First was the CV2001.
    I am on my third large Dillon now, and I also run their CV-750 smaller unit.

There are times that I run my Dillons 24/7 for periods of time..I have been happy with them...Bill.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    It worked well for several years, but my Midway tumbler eventually failed due to overheating. After that, and having to do so many small loads of the same caliber to get the job done, I decided to go big or go home and got the Dillon CV-2001, which is the biggest and most powerful vibratory tumbler out there. I have been pleased with the Dillon, never had any trouble, and it gets the work done faster since it can handle more brass than any other commercial tumbler (a friend uses a small stand-alone cement mixer, but he is also a custom ammo manufacturer that does 50 BMG among other calibers).

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have been using a Cabelas one for about ten years now. It's actually running now. Little on the small side at times but it doesn't complain filled to the top. Corn cob for me. Brass looks better than new.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MYGLJC?tag=reloaderaddict-20

Just saw this, seems to get better reviews and is cheaper.

I bought this one recently as well. It's okay. It does a better job if I let it run 3-4 hours. Does not shine the brass. Maybe I should add some Brasso and BB's like Padawan. And let it run all day.

I just googled the Brasso thing on cases, because I thought I remembered it was not recommended. Brasso has ammonia in it and will weaken the brass. So not recommended.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have the Franford tumbler as well... Load it up with brass, media and few drops of Brasso before I leave for work and let it run all day on the back porch. Arrive home to shiny brass. I've added a tube of Daisy steel BB's to see if it helps. You have to make sure there are no BB's in your cases when finished.

I just googled the Brasso thing on cases, because I thought I remembered it was not recommended. Brasso has ammonia in it and will weaken the brass. So not recommended.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Turtle wax polishing compound from the auto parts works pretty good. Whenever I am out of the Midway product, I just use the turtle wax product.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Turtle wax polishing compound from the auto parts works pretty good. Whenever I am out of the Midway product, I just use the turtle wax product.

What's the name of the Midway product? I order from them all the time.

Top Bottom