• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Hi guys, I bought a ENCORE PISTOL w/15inch barrel .44mag.I am using this for deer this fall.I know somebody out there uses this combo, I would like to know what load you have used with excellent results.I am buying components and am going to give them to somebody to load for me.I probably will use this for coyotes also.I figure I will get more bang for the buck this way, I will soon find out.Thanks in advance for any help and info guys.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I'll send you a pm with my load chart for the combination I settled on, I found the harder I pushed it the better the groups consistently got and I'm right at max but please work them up safely!

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Dan your PM's back to me are a mess, just quotes of what I sent to you previously with nothing more attached. You can adjust your user settings to save a copy of your sent messages so you can see any future PM's you send to someone.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I am sorry , I am not a computer person, and make plenty of mistakes with it , sorry guy.
    No trouble, just wanted to let you know whatever you tried to send didn't make it through and you have to configure your outbox to save a copy of sent messages if you ever want or need to review those. By default your sent messages box won't show anything until that's changed.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    How about the Barns XPB hunting handgun bullet. So many great choices out there these days.

That's a good one that will guarantee no possibility of a core/jacket separation and good expansion.
    Another one that I've used (in my .45 Colt lever carbine) is the Hornady FTX, the soft tipped spitzer used in their LeveRevolution factory ammo.
    The spitzer profile really improves downrange ballistics, and I have three deer so far to show for using that particular bullet when I roll my own.

shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    Jumped into this thread because I also just got a t/c and was looking for info. Thanks Midget, I'll give that a try. I like the xtp bullets in my 45long colt and that is the bullet I was going to use in my new 44.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I've had very good success with the XTPs. The only thing to be aware of is that H110 is very pressure sensitive on the low side. You will get bulged primers if you go too low.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is what I use:
    240gr xtp, 1.6", h110 24 gr

This is also what I've used out of my Puma 92 44mag. I've killed an 8pt and an 10pt with this load inside of 100 yards and both were dead within 10 feet of where they were shot. The Hornady 240gr XTP hollow point over 24.0gr of H110 is a load that gets more consistent praise than just about any other load I've read about. For whatever reason, everyone seems to end right at the max load in that recipe and the effects on deer always seem to be about the same. This is my go-to load and all I shoot out of my 92. This load is going hunting with my this fall. I don't know what else I could say about it.

Top Bottom