• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    Recently picked up an old Remington rolling block Norwegian rifle. Looking for dies and brass for this rifle. Doing research, Remington made this rifle after the civil war and teamed up with the Swedish and Norwegians to produce this rifle. Swedish version was rim fire, and Norwegian version was center fire. The rifle will shoot both, does anyone have any info on where someone might locate reloading components for this rifle? I am O.K. with it being a wall hanger, but just wondered if any of the stuff for it, is available.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Dies
    Environment Test

Brass
    Reloading Supplies|Buffalo Arms Company

Slug your bore to determine the best bullet diameter. You will be using cast lead bullets somewhere around .510" in diameter depending on your particular rifle. Weight will depend on what powder and charge you choose to use.

Powder: Use either black powder or Accurate 5744 smokeless, use Google search to find load data. Google search will pull up other forums with people shooting this caliber and sharing tips and tricks to make your old gun shoot nicely.

shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    Thank you for the information. That really helps, have a 45/70 Springfield trap door and love shooting it, look forward to trying this one out!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm curious how the rifle could shoot both center and rim fire cartridges. Is the hammer/firing pin adjustable? If so, I'd be curious to see a picture of that arrangement.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Learn something new every day.

From Wiki...

A civilian/paramilitary centerfire version of the cartridge, the 12.17×44mmR using a brass cartridge case with the same dimensions as the 12.17×44mm RF, was introduced during the 1870s in both Sweden and Norway.[5] The centerfire cartridge could be fired from both Swedish and Norwegian M1867 military Remington rolling-block firearms with only a minor modification, converting the weapon from rimfire to centerfire and vice versa, which could be done by the shooter in the field provided he or she carried the replacement parts.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Top Bottom