Pistol- Moving away from 231 to CFE or Titegroup...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I'm one that if it works don't break it... As such I've found 231 in 9mm to work well.

But, I've been wanting to try a newer powder. Most of the reading is about CFE or Titegroup.

Looking over Midsouth or PV, CFE Pistol is definatley lower cost. Also, given Midsouth's reduced hazmat fee sale makes it even more enticing.

Anyone care to comment on moving from 231 to CFE or Titegroup?

My goals are accuracy, reliable metering/consistent throws, clean and low flash if possible.

Thanks.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm pretty new to reloading and have only used Titegroup but it's cleaner, BY FAR, than any factory load I've yet used. Like got home from the range after the first box of 100, pulled the slide off, looked in, swabbed with a patch, and put the gun back together.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Titegroup throws consistent in my Dillon powder bar. I use it to load 9,38,357,and 45 with no issues in performance. I will say my 9mm and 38's have been running outstanding when I made the switch from Bullseye to Titegroup

I personally wouldn't buy powder online unless the cost was so low it offset the cost of hazmat. I try to get my powder from a local reloading shop, or at gun shows where even there there can be a 5 dollar difference between vendors. If you hit the big shows there is usally a good variety to choose from and most of the people are good in helping you decide which to choose.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm pretty new to reloading and have only used Titegroup but it's cleaner, BY FAR, than any factory load I've yet used. Like got home from the range after the first box of 100, pulled the slide off, looked in, swabbed with a patch, and put the gun back together.

Hmmmm must be your load? I found it to be dirtier than factory. From what I have read Titegroup can be funny with the charge affecting how clean it is. If I remember it likes a full house load to run clean....but I could be mistaken. I am running 4.0gr behind 125gr plated. I think I can take it up to 4.4gr but am currently hitting 131 power factor and didn't see the need.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Hmmmm must be your load? I found it to be dirtier than factory. From what I have read Titegroup can be funny with the charge affecting how clean it is. If I remember it likes a full house load to run clean....but I could be mistaken. I am running 4.0gr behind 125gr plated. I think I can take it up to 4.4gr but am currently hitting 131 power factor and didn't see the need.
    I use 4.5 behind 115gr FMJ with excellent results. I would have to look but I think I use the same for 158gr 38's.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    TG is all I've used in 9mm and .40. meters awesome in the Dillon, I get single-digit SD over the chrono.
    I don't clean guns so I won't comment on it's cleanliness.

-rvb

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've used both in .45ACP, and prefer CFE. They both meter fine, are both consistent, etc. CFE may be a touch cleaner. Maybe in by head, but TG seems to get the gun hotter faster.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Been running Titepoop in 9mm. Think I am at 4.3 grains under a 115grn pill of the plated variety. Found it to meter spot on out of my Dillon and it shoots extremely clean. Last range trip fired several hundred out of my Glock 17. Got home broke it down and there was nothing to clean.

Want to buy a big jug next time. Just mashed out another thousand.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Something also to consider is TG costs less the W231 by about $8.00 a pound from around 2 years ago prices. That gets significant when buying an 8 lb'er.

Have not tried Tightgroup yet. Bought some, but not used it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    We've been running titegroup in the 9mms with great success. Clean and consistent. My boss got some for his .45. We've loaded it, but haven't shot it yet.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

I use 4.5 behind 115gr FMJ with excellent results. I would have to look but I think I use the same for 158gr 38's.

'Twas the minimum load for my first few rounds of loading, low 3gr range. If it runs cleaner when loaded hotter, sweet.

As someone involved in engine development, load affecting dirtiness seems perfectly reasonable.

superluckycat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Madison
    I've got 7 pounds of CFE sitting on the shelf since I tried Titegroup. Much cleaner and economical.

3.0 grains behind a 147gr. Blue Bullet is my go to load. I haven't adjusted the 650 in months.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I haven't used CFE for pistol, only rifle. I do use titegroup though for pistol reloading and among other powders that I've tried it is my favorite. I've found it to be very clean and very economical. Right now I'm loading 9nm 147grain subs with 3.6 grains of powder. Throws really consistent too. I honestly can't remember what it metered though.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I have also had good results with Titegroup in both 9mm and 45acp consistent results in a few different pistols.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Titegroup, 231 & CFE Pistol all seem to work pretty well in most applications, (and very well in some).
    That said, I've gotten the best results from Unique w/ 115gr bullets, and HS6 w/ 124's
    YMMV

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    W231 used to be my go-to-powder. I've found that TG meters the same in my Dillon, cleanliness is similar, I get similar accuracy, AND I use less powder. Last but not least, TG seems to be easier to find.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Scored last two cans of TG at the Elkhart show today. Was hoping to find a big jug. Happy to find what I did and snapped them up.

Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    Titegroup is smoky, snappy, and not very clean in my guns. I'll through in a different powder to the list, aa2. It's a double based spherical powder that very very small. It will throw a perfect charge every time. It's extremely clean, low recoil, low flash. I use it in 9 and 45. It will be a more full case load than titegroup but that's ok. Lot of times fuller case = better accuracy. My chrono Loads have a sd of 10 fps. And not sure where your located. But bobcat steel is where I get my powder. He's on here. He brings me powder when he's in Indy. Great to work with, great prices

Top Bottom