Subsonic Shotshell Reloads - Anyone here do it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm getting interested in shot shell reloading and plan to get started soon. I own a number of shotguns and have family members that shoot quite a bit so I think it would be interesting to experiment with different loads and have them try them out. I also now own a Salvo suppressor and am interested in using it for home defense on one of my 12 gauge guns. I have tried some commercial sub sonic loads and they are nicely quieted down by the Salvo but these loads are normally game loads and not always easy to find. Once I have equipment and some experience I'd like to work up some defense loads using #4, #1, and 00 buck. I've obtained a lot of recipes for hundreds of loads (Ballistic Products, etc.) but none are sub sonic. Does anyone here with experience loading shot shells have experience with sub sonics and would like to share?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have always thought that 12 gauge buck loads were subsonic or very close to it. Aren't they right around 1200 fps and slow down rapidly within their 25 yard effective range?
    That's all I got....:popcorn:

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm sorry I can't help you, but I am subbing in to hear people's replies!

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Well, generally if you start below around 1100 FPS then the round should be sub sonic down range. I don't yet know the ins and outs of what this means for something like 00 buck, but what I do know is that the sub sonic shells I've been able to obtain are much quieter at my ear through the Salvo suppressor than other 00 buck loads at 1200 FPS or higher. The sub sonic rounds I've got are supposed to be 900 FPS.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm getting interested in shot shell reloading and plan to get started soon. I own a number of shotguns and have family members that shoot quite a bit so I think it would be interesting to experiment with different loads and have them try them out. I also now own a Salvo suppressor and am interested in using it for home defense on one of my 12 gauge guns. I have tried some commercial sub sonic loads and they are nicely quieted down by the Salvo but these loads are normally game loads and not always easy to find. Once I have equipment and some experience I'd like to work up some defense loads using #4, #1, and 00 buck. I've obtained a lot of recipes for hundreds of loads (Ballistic Products, etc.) but none are sub sonic. Does anyone here with experience loading shot shells have experience with sub sonics and would like to share?

Well if you are not sure you are going to do it on a large scale these reloaders work well. I got one when I was in high school and probably pressed 10K rounds with it back then....(I was shooting skeet every weekend and could press a box for $1.90). I know it is not top of the line but it did a very good job for me. I haven't reloaded 12's in a LOOOONG time because I can't get the math to work with the price of shot.

On a side note. Indiana Gun Club has been cleaning their fields and hauled TONS of reclaimed shot out.....I would assume they should have some for CHEAP.

Lee Load-All 2 Shotshell Press 12 Ga 2-3/4 3

Top Bottom