• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What are you shooting this in? How old/big is the shooter? 44sp a is a really light load. I have used Buffalo brand 190 grain in my 44sp Blackhawk. I was able to find it at my local gun shop. Your city is not in your profile so it's hard to recommend a local place. If you are near a Cabelas or other sporting goods places they should have it. It is as, if not more, expensive as 44mag.

180gn 44mag is not a very punishing round out of a rifle. My 10 year old has shot 44mag from my Henry and my 9 1/2 inch Super Redhawk. He did not complain.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    How old are you talking about? I know someone who uses a 44 Special load in a 44 Mag Handi rifle. Girls between 7-10 are shooting it. Not for sure if they are shooting factory or hand loads though. I just know the 44 Special will be better for small youth, even though my stepson shot his first deer when he was 10 with 44Mag Hornady FTX.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Pretty much impossible to answer this without at least a little more information, but presuming you don't handload, your best bet is going to be any of the 44 Special loads. In addition to being a shorter case, they are loaded to significantly lower pressure, thus less velocity and recoil. Limit shots to 50 yards or so, which is good advice for young hunters, regardless of the load used.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Agree with the above. Need more input. A marlin 94 kicks much less than a rossi 92 for 2 reasons...steel butt plate and lighter weight for the rossi. Therefore a heavier load could be used in the marlin.

Another option: If you don't reload, have Bobcat armament load you up some custom ammo that meet your requirements.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I have never shot a 44 myself. We have the Rossi 410 so I as well as my young son are familiar with the recoil of the Rossi. We will be using a 44 for the upcoming season so I am investigating it now. Thanks.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have never shot a 44 myself. We have the Rossi 410 so I as well as my young son are familiar with the recoil of the Rossi. We will be using a 44 for the upcoming season so I am investigating it now. Thanks.

If you live near South Bend (or are near enough to want to travel) You are welcome to put a few rounds threw my Henry. I will provide the ammo. I can load various rounds to try.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom