• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My son and I did some more reloading today. I really like that he is in to reloading as much as I am. It's great to see the next generation get involved. Plus, it's always a good time when we do a project together. I always reload in small batches when I work with him. It's easy to keep an eye on everything. He is doing really great. :yesway:

This time it was 20 rounds 300wm. He is catching on great. He did the brass prep and all. We are working on loads for the new 700. This time around we used 190 grain Sierra Match Kings with 70 grains of H4831. I am eager to see how these compare to the Hornady 180 grain SST's we had previously tried.

This is the third firing on this brass. This time was a neck size only. I had previously fired this with the old barrel. So the last time was a full length resize, then a form fire to the new chamber. I am curious as to how the brass is going to hold up.

So far he has reloaded 308, 30-06 and 300wm.

Our next batch will be some more 30-06's loaded a little lighter for him to shoot. Then some more 308's for the 1919 will next.

If you have any pictures or reloading adventure stories with your kids please post them up.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    That's great that you two have something you can do together. I let my son help me a little bit sometimes. He's only 4 so he only gets to help me resize on the single stage.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Yep, start them YOUNG....

Last year I started my Grand Daughter, who was 4years old then.

She did REAL well @ placing the .308's in the shell holder, and taking them back out, while sitting on my lap..

She will be FINE with 2ND Amendment issues down the road...Bill.

Edit: This was to de-cap fired brass ONLY...

Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    My boys are 5. We spend a lot of time in the reloading room. They always have fun and let them load the tubes for my 650 and let them drop the primers. They help with single stage trimming and primer pocket cleaning.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's awesome to hear others are getting the kiddos involved. Simple things like depriming and sizing an sizing are great first steps to learn. Making sure they wash their hands before and after and making sure no fingers are pinch are the most important stuff.

I double check things at every step. We are having a great time. We are working on some 30-06 brass at the moment. I love going projects with my boy. Whether it's machining something or carpentry or working on the car. Or even working on electronics in my shop. My dad did not do much stuff with us when I was a kid. I really wish he had done some of the same stuff we (my son and I) do. I know my son will remember this stuff and pass it down to his kids. I am loving every minute of it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Way to go getting your boy into reloading at a young age.
    You'll probably have a time in the future when you help him select his own setup.
    Hell, you could make totally make his day and get him an RL550...Okay, that's a bit much, especially compared to that Hornady single stage. ;)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My kids have been around it from day one. They are now three and five. They police the range for brass, sort it, peck primers, and run the tumbler.

Lot of times we end up hanging out in the "bullet room" talking and making plans for our next adventure. Next load of scrap brass will go in their piggy bank.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My daughter @ 4 yrs helping to size 223

image_zpsnrfxfggf.jpeg

Top Bottom