• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    OK, I understand folks will tell me other calibers to use, it is INGO after all. :) I will be using an AR with 556 chamber though it will fire 223 as you all know. I have never hunted a feral hog before so what type of bullet is best? I have hunted before, deer and squirrels and bunnies but it was IL so I did this with either a shotgun or a .22LR.

So, which bullet would be best if I loaded my own and what brand and bullet would work best if I purchased them. It isn't anything special my AR. I could also use my Mini14 or a KelTec SU16, all are 223 except the AR which is 556.

As I understand things, we will be on private land where the hogs are a nuisance and the owners would like for them to suffer a genocide and b gone. I am mostly looking for what I need to make the kill without a lot of extras. I am a fairly good shot but haven't hunted in a few years but the rifles are all well sighted in and ready to do the deed.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    OK, I can get those. I guess I never thought to ask at the shoot. :ugh:

I still don't have the specifics other than what was discussed at the shoot but I want to be ready. Since the two of us aren't in the best health sometimes there needs to be a fair bit of lead time.

I will then use them to resight it in for the heavier ammo. What I had was 55gr stuff and I don't know what you had CameraMonkey when you used yours as well. :dunno:

anyway I will get back to the range when I have some ammo.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I would take into consideration what the twist rate is on the AR. If you do not have a stabilized projectile it could cause problems.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I would think if you could get a bonded bullet that would be best. I've read where folks do take hogs with 223. They generally shoot them behind the ear. Wonder if Barnes makes the triple shock in 223?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    7 twist is good up through 80 VLD.
    8 twist is good up through 80 SMK, and USUALLY the 82 Berger.
    9 twist is best stopped at the 69 SMK or the 73 Berger.

None of the above would be my hog choice. I'd run the 65 GameKing, the 62 Sciroco, or maybe one of the Barnes monolithics.

But probably the GameKing. Varget or AA2520.

-Nate

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I imagine I will have to take the handguard off and I can't do that right now. I don't have a tool and I am not coordinated nor strong enough to do it myself at this time. it is a drag to get old. I do know it is a DPMS and nothing special about it. I put the rifle together myself back when I was coordinated. lol

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I imagine I will have to take the handguard off and I can't do that right now. I don't have a tool and I am not coordinated nor strong enough to do it myself at this time. it is a drag to get old. I do know it is a DPMS and nothing special about it. I put the rifle together myself back when I was coordinated. lol

I trust Nat. (even though he does talk funny :stickpoke:) follow his advice and it doesnt really matter what your twist rate is due to the bullet weight. Those smaller bullets seem to work in most twist rates. Aaron and I were holding sub 2" groups with your 1x optics with 55gr projectiles.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, read the article and thought the same, I am not gonna use too heavy a bullet for this, Brownell's even has most of the heavier and "Hog Rated" rounds on sale. :yesway:

I will see what it does with the heavier bullets though just the same to be safe. Probably carry my Ruger Alaskan 44 mag too in case I actually am able to climb a tree. Sure there will be a sling but you never know....

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    ...i'm not good enough, nor is my equipment good enough for prairie dogs.
    I have other rifles and they are good enough for them and have taken them too.

once everything is sighted and all the familiarization is done I am a pretty good shot when it counts, with a rifle. You are pretty safe if I have a pistol and aren't pretty close.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, read the article and thought the same, I am not gonna use too heavy a bullet for this, Brownell's even has most of the heavier and "Hog Rated" rounds on sale. :yesway:

I will see what it does with the heavier bullets though just the same to be safe. Probably carry my Ruger Alaskan 44 mag too in case I actually am able to climb a tree. Sure there will be a sling but you never know....

Please allow me to be blunt my friend; I like you. I have seen your coordination and mobility as you shuffle around the range. No. Just no. No tree climbing for you! Stay on solid ground my friend. The next time I see you I want it to be at the next Proteq shoot while we enjoy each others' company, not your funeral. :(

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    :laugh: I wondered if anyone would catch that.

I am still thinking a .44 mag back up would be a good thing. Maybe no trees but the revolver is going with me. :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    OK, I understand folks will tell me other calibers to use, it is INGO after all. :) I will be using an AR with 556 chamber though it will fire 223 as you all know. I have never hunted a feral hog before so what type of bullet is best? I have hunted before, deer and squirrels and bunnies but it was IL so I did this with either a shotgun or a .22LR.

So, which bullet would be best if I loaded my own and what brand and bullet would work best if I purchased them. It isn't anything special my AR. I could also use my Mini14 or a KelTec SU16, all are 223 except the AR which is 556.

As I understand things, we will be on private land where the hogs are a nuisance and the owners would like for them to suffer a genocide and b gone. I am mostly looking for what I need to make the kill without a lot of extras. I am a fairly good shot but haven't hunted in a few years but the rifles are all well sighted in and ready to do the deed.

People will have a Hillary shiver over this, but you can use fmj on hogs with great effect. I use ammo with Barnes TSX bullets, and they are absolutely devastating to hogs. I killed a 200lb brute with one a few years ago. It slammed through the thick shoulder blade, liquified the lungs, and then blew right through the opposite shoulder blade. These things wreak havoc on tissue on their way through. They are very accurate, too. I've used Black Hills and Barnes VorTex, 50 grain and 55 grain.

When I hunted that big hog, I was constantly being harassed by the ranch owner, who was an African big game hunter. He was all over me about the .223 being too weak for hogs. Complete bull crap. Every hog I've shot with .223 has died quickly, with none running more than 20 yards, and most dropping where they stood. IMO, it is the perfect caliber for hogs. I've not used them, but I've seen them drop where they stood time and time again with 55 grain FMJ, too.

As for the Barnes bullets, I swear by them. I've hunted in Africa with .30-06 tipped with Barnes TTX bullets and dropped everything I shot with them. The Professional Hunter with us, after seeing the damage, said it was the most effective bullet he's ever seen. They begged to buy our leftover ammo and we charged them a premium for it. They were happy to pay it. THey are laser-beam accurate in .30-06, too, just like in .223.

I hope you have a great hunt! Please post pics upon your return! I've only hog hunted in Texas, so it would be great to find good hunting that close to home!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    A couple of other things...Should you go with heavier bullets, which again I think is unnecessary, just try them in your gun. Some guns with 1-9 twist shoot them just fine. Some don't. (Conversely, my 1-7's shoot 55 grain just fine, too.)

As for a hand gun for backup, why? You could just pop them again with your AR if they are still flopping around. I wouldn't advise getting too close to them until certain they are dead. If you get slashed by one of those tusks, you are looking at an antibiotic cocktail of epic proportions, along with trip after trip to the doctor for follow-up. Those things are horrendously filthy germ and parasite ridden beasts. Of course, a .44 magnum would do the trick, but I'd just let them have another shot from the Meat Axe. (That's what my father-in-law called the M-16 in Vietnam. He said the Viet Cong actually gave it that name. He spoke Vietnamese, btw, so he knew.)

In Texas, I carried my buddy's Taurus Judge with bird shot for rattlesnakes. I never had to pop a second round into a hog. I think that says something for the .223. Much of that is thanks to the accuracy of those Barnes bullets. My Remington R-15 shoots 1/2 MOA groups with factory Black Hills, with ease. My M-4gery with 16" barrel and Spike's upper, 1-7 twist, shoots consistently at 1 MOA with Barnes VorTex brand. I never get flyers with those bullets, or at least haven't had one yet. It ain't cheap, but it's worth it.

Top Bottom