• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I want to start loading for .300 Blackout. This will be the first necked-down cartridge I have loaded.
    I have several manuals. Some new, some older.
    I have a set of Lee dies, cases, primers...
    I can't find any data listing Speer bullets. I have a Speer manual, but it is years old.
    I also have an older Sierra manual, but it doesn't list .300blk.
    These are to be used to hunt whitetail, and I'm not looking to go sub-sonic.

I have all of the following that I can use,

Speer 150gr RNSP
    Speer 180gr RNSP
    Sierra 150gr RN #2135
    Sierra 125gr Spitzer # 2120
    Sierra 110gr HP #2110

My powders available include,

CFE .223
    LeverEvolution
    BL-C2
    IMR-4198
    Varget
    H110
    Trailboss
    I've also just read in Handloader magazine that Unique can be used in some rifle applications.
    I also have a pound of Unique.

Anybody have any pet loads using any combination of the above?
    I could sure use some help.

Edit, these will be fired through a 16" barrel on an AR15 platform.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't load for .300BLK/.300AAC, but I was able to locate data using Speer bullets on http://www.loaddata.com (I'm a subscriber).

They have the Speer 130 grain HP with a starting charge of 17.9 grains of H110 and a max charge of 19 grains of H110 for a max velocity of 2155 FPS.
    Obviously, HP rifle bullets are not advisable for deer, but they also have the 150 grain Speer Mag Tip listed with a starting charge of 15.5 grains of H110 for a listed 1807 FPS.
    If you had Lil' Gun, you could also load the Speer Grand Slam with 16.5 grains of that powder for a listed 1912 FPS.
    If you had IMR 4227, you could put 16 grains of it behind the Speer Mag Tip for a listed 1657 FPS.
    If you had Alliant RL-7, you could put 18.7 grains of it behind the 165 grain Speer spitzer softpoint for a listed 1823 FPS.
    That's all the data they have listed for Speer bullets, but you could certainly use the starting data with your Speer bullets listed for equivalent weight and type Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, and other bullets, then work up in increments until you have reached your goal from a muzzle velocity and accuracy aspect.
    You definitely wouldn't want to start out with max charges, but you should be perfectly safe starting at the bottom.
    Just be sure that your bullets are seated such that they aren't too deep and not out so far as to touch the start of the rifling in your particular barrel, either of which could cause excessive pressures, as can happen with any rifle so loaded.
    Good luck.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading Here is a link you can use also. H110 and Trail Boss are the only ones you have listed that you can use, if I remember correctly. The others have to fast of a burn rate. www.300blktalk.com is a good place for info also. Some reloading manuals have 300 whisper listed. The 300 Blackout and 300 Whisper is like the .556 and the 223 Rem, same dimensions basically, but pressures are different. I like 4227 and Sierra's "2125" 150 gr Game Kings myself. But YMMV

Also Trail Boss is used for sub sonic loads.

This a 5 shot group.
    20141111_102522.jpg

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If I was going to hunt deer with a 300BLK, my bullet selection would start and stop with the Barnes 110 grain bullet. It is designed to perform well at the very modest (anemic?) power levels provided by this cartridge.

Frankly, I think it's a poor choice, at best, for deer hunting. A 6.8SPC or 270 Wolverine would be much better.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    If I was going to hunt deer with a 300BLK, my bullet selection would start and stop with the Barnes 110 grain bullet. It is designed to perform well at the very modest (anemic?) power levels provided by this cartridge. Frankly, I think it's a poor choice, at best, for deer hunting. A 6.8SPC or 270 Wolverine would be much better.
    Co-worker took a 16 point on opening weekend w/ a Winchester 150gr Deer XP at about 70yds. Dressed out at 180+ lbs and didn't make it 30yds after being shot. That jerky was tasty.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Co-worker took a 16 point on opening weekend w/ a Winchester 150gr Deer XP at about 70yds. Dressed out at 180+ lbs and didn't make it 30yds after being shot. That jerky was tasty.

Just curious.
    Was he running sub or super sonic?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

My dad killed 11 deer with a 22 magnum, to feed the family during hard times...what's your point? The 300BLK is still an anemic cartridge for deer hunting.

I killed a 180 lb deer at about 50 yards with a 35 INDY this year. (303 British reworked to 35 Remington dimensions) It drives the 200gr FTX bullet to ~2,300fps, making it a 35 Remington +P, if you will. Both of the deer I took with it this year expired forthwith, after a short and very easy-to-follow blood trail. Efficacy in big game cartridges is all about bullet placement, design, and velocity suitable for that design.

As long as the bullet Winchester is sticking in that tiny case is constructed to expand, while continuing to penetrate AND EXIT, it should be fine. Did the bullet your co-worker used expand, penetrate and exit? What was the blood trail like? I'm not saying the 300BLK is incapable of killing deer, I'm saying it's a poor choice. In less than the most capable hands, it will result in lost deer, due to poor terminal performance and the lack of an exit wound.

Top Bottom