• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I know there are a million ways to skin the cat here from small hand held tools, to WFT, to Giraud trimmers, and everything in-between.

I have a Hornady cam-lock case trimmer, and just ordered the adapter so I can hook up my electric screw driver to it to help speed up the process.

I am sure this is not going to be a short-term purchase for me (maybe early next year), but I think I want something better and more automated. I have NO desire to hold a case in one hand and my driver in the other like the WFT.

I have been looking at the RCBS Universal Case Prep Center on YouTube, and it seems to be well received.

RCBS Universal Case Prep Center 110 Volt

I like the fact that it is complete station, trimming, chamfering, deburring, etc. and powered. For $355, it is pricey, but looks like it can do it all.

There is also a Hornady LnL Case Prep Center, but the reviews don't seem as positive (by far) as those for the RCBS version.

The Giraud trimmer is $460 and I like that fact that it also chamfers and deburs at the same time as it trims.

I also saw a video of the Henderson Precision Tri-Trim which also looks pretty cool and does the chamfer and deburring also, and it is "only" $275.

[video=youtube;cPcxGt_PyLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPcxGt_PyLk[/video]

Does anyone own the RCBS Universal Case Prep Center? What are your thoughts? I keep thinking that if I am going to spend $355 for the RCBS, what's another $100 for the Giraud?

The Henderson looks promising, but probably needs a V.2. to work out some of the kinks. The review above says they are working on a version with a built-in motor. Probably a good idea, and they need to find a better way to capture the shavings.

The Giraud just seems like such a great, complete solution, even down to how it captures the brass shavings.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We have the RCBS, but ours is 2 separate units. A trimmer and then a prep center, we used them for maybe a year and they've been gathering dust since.
    A buddy has the Giraud, about twice a year he brings it over we do .308's on one weekend and .223's on another.
    I would spend the extra $100 and buy the Giraud

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You must have a LOT more cases to trim than most?

I admit my reloading is more of the small-batch, high-precision variety, but I'd have to be shooting several thousand rounds of ammo, out of semi-auto rifles, to need the kind of volume some of the trimmers are capable of providing. I suppose that is the need you have, which would preclude the RCBS unit, IMO. I've used a powered lathe-style trimmer, and they just aren't much faster than a Lee trimmer/case length gauge setup. For volume, the Giraud or WFT is the way to go. Any reason you don't want to hold cases while you trim with the WFT?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I'm with you Broom...

" Any reason you don't want to hold cases while you trim with the WFT? "

^^^^

Over the years, I have used most all styles of case trimmers out there .
    From the "File Type" of die, that you by hand file off of what comes out of the top of the die, to the "Worlds Finest Trimmer" (WFT).
    Sometimes for VERY small batches I still use the file type, but for the most part, for large, or "Batch" trimming, the WFT trimmer works for me.
    I DO 'Bolt Down' my Skil 1/2" drill to my bench, and install a foot pedal power supply to run it.
    For ME--Holding each case up to the WFT tool is the least amount of effort to trim large batches of .223/5.56 cases, at the least amount of cost per tool.
    For 100 to 200 count of trim needed brass, in smaller use calibers, like .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, .243 Win., 6MM Rem, .308 Win., 30-06, 45-70, I still use my RCBS Lathe type of trimmer. This I also run with my 1/2" Skil drill, at a slower speed than the WFT.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that you can go from "Slow" to "Go", depending of what you want to do??...Bill.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    OK, I had better clarify a few things. I do not plan on doing huge number of cases at once (200-ish per session???). Right now, I am only looking at .223, but I will be also adding .308 sometime in the near future.

Basically, I am just lazy and all about convenience! :baby: I am also getting arthritis in my hands, and would prefer something that is powered. This is also the reason I would prefer not to hold a case in one hand with a drill in my other hand like with the WFT.

Another reason for some of my selections is for consistency. We all want consistent trim lengths, but I *also* would like consistent chamfers and deburrs. Freehand leaves too much room for error imho (crooked edges, too sharp, etc.). This is something that really appeals to me about the Giraud. How cool is that to have the whole job completed in one fatal swoop and have it look perfect every time?

There is no way I *need* anything resembling a Giraud or even the RCBS Case Prep station for volume of cases I prep. This makes it really hard to justify the cost for sure.

The WFT would work fine, especially if I can rig up something like billybob44 did with his drill, but that leaves me to chamfer and deburr by hand, which of course is not the end of the world!

As mentioned in my first post, this is nothing that is immanent, and nothing is going to happen until sometime in 2017 (Christmas with 7 grown kids is not cheap!!!). This gives me time to think about a solution I can come up with that is similar to billybob44's. Giraud also makes something called the Tri Way Trimmer, which is basically uses the same head as their larger unit, but you supply the power just like the WFT. It also chamfers and deburrs just like the larger Giraud trimmers. It costs about $100, so that is another option to think about.

Here is a setup similar to billybob44's with the Giraud head:

[video=youtube;fhjFFZTEJwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhjFFZTEJwk[/video]

And here is a setup with a motor:

[video=youtube;Hz6wUlkGaZw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz6wUlkGaZw[/video]

I also just ordered the adapter for my Hornady cam lock trimmer where I can hook up my electric screw driver (not the high-powered electric drill), and that will help a bit I think with my old hands! I will see how that works for me to start.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Have a WFT that I use in my drill press. Works very well, but still have to chamfer.
    If I had known about the Giaud Triway, I probably would have gone that route.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Giraud is the way if you have the money.

I don't so use a WFT followed by an RCBS case prep center.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Saw another cool idea that I am exploring. It basically involves the Giraud Tri-Way trimmer, and instead of hooking it up to a motor like the guy did in the You Tube post I had above, you use a grinder/buffer from Harbor Freight, and then adapt the trimmer to one end.

Something like this maybe???

8" Bench Grinder/Buffer

The price goes way down with a coupon obviously. They also have a smaller version with a smaller motor for around $35, but the reviews on it said it was underpowered. The one I linked to has a 3/4 HP motor which I am sure is *way* overkill.

You would also need a coupler to join the shaft from the buffer to the shaft of the Giraud. Something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003XHG...UTF8&colid=76D5Q07DJC88&coliid=I3VN9PPJAC1S2N

Might make a nice benchtop version of a Giraud trimmer with the chamfer and deburring for well under $200.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I use the WFT mounted in a cheap benchtop drillpress. With arthritis developing in both thumbs, I have to admit that I totally understand what you are talking about when it comes to holding each case in the cutter. I recently bolted the drill press to the wall so the cutter sits horizontally, this made holding the cases a little easier for me.

The WFT does not provide many options for collecting shavings either.

For my two cents, I will probably still go with the Giraud trimmer. Even though it involves me holding the case. It's a one step process and the shavings are all contained.

Good luck.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Case trim+De-burr...

Lyman Universal Case Trimmer w/ 9 pilot multi pack, #7862000, NIB | eBay

^^^This for your trimmer//also has all common pilots . You can take the crank handle off and run on your 1/2" drill.

749-004-354WB
    Sinclair/L.E. Wilson Deburring Tool Package

Mfr Part: 05150

^^^This with a cordless screwdriver/Hex headed driver.

You WILL use these tools down the road==Will NOT be a waste of $$....Bill.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    ^^^This for your trimmer//also has all common pilots . You can take the crank handle off and run on your 1/2" drill.

You WILL use these tools down the road==Will NOT be a waste of $$....Bill.

Thanks Bill. I actually have the Hornady version of this trimmer, and did mention above that I am ordering the chuck that allows me to use my screwdriver with it. I do plan on seeing how that goes for sure.

For those of us with arthritic hands, I have heard that a set of "sissy pliers" (i.e. "spark plug pliers") work pretty well to hold the small cartridges when trimming:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00GLWL...=UTF8&colid=76D5Q07DJC88&coliid=I1A7SC2KGWGB2

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Update:

I picked up a Harbor Freight 6" buffer. This unit has a 1/2 HP motor, and spins at 3,450 RPM (same RPMs as the "big" Giraud Trimmer). Cost about $35 with a coupon:

6" Buffer

The spindle on this unit is 1/2", and in order to make it work correctly, I am going to have to cut off the threads on the end of the spindle with my Dremmel tool and a cutter blade. Should take all of about 2-5 minutes if I am lucky.

Since the spindle on the Giraud Tri Way Trimmer is 3/8", I will need a coupler that adapts from 1/2" to 3/8". I bought this from Amazon for $33:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XHG7WC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This piece joins the 1/2" spindle on the buffer motor to the 3/8" spindle on the Giraud Tri Way Trimmer. I am pretty sure that the spindle on the WFT is also 3/8", buy don't quote me on that. If someone has one that they can quickly stick in their calipers, that would be nice to know as well.

This setup becomes a "poor man's" Giraud Trimmer for about $160 instead of almost $500. :D

I'll post pictures once I get the trimmer and start putting it all together.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    So cutting off the end of the shaft on the buffer was easier than I thought. I video taped it, and the entire video lasted 1:04 from start to finish, so probably less than 50 seconds of cutting.

Here is the buffer before cutting. I am going to be cutting off the right shaft right where the large nut is. I will use the nut as a guide to keep the cutter straight.

Here is the cutter. It is an angle grinder that I also got a long time ago from Harbor Freight with a metal cutting blade.

A close up of the bolt and the shaft before cutting:

After cutting:

Once cut, I grabbed a file, and turned on the buffer and filed the edge smooth:

The entire job took me less than 5 minutes, and that includes getting my tools out, etc.

Now I have to wait for the coupler and the trimmer to arrive to complete the project.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Well, I received the coupler from Amazon yesterday, and tried it out on my buffer, and I am happy to report that it works perfectly! It fits like a glove and spins perfectly true (at least as far as I can tell).

Now I just need to order the Giraud Tri-Way Trimmer come payday, and I should have my "Poor Man's Giraud Trimmer" completed for abut $160!

Top Bottom