• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    It has been nearly 4 years since Sandy Hook. For a long time we heard hoarders and new shooters were the problem, then it went to ammo flippers. Article after article started telling us production was running 24/7 at multiple manufacturers.
    Why nearly 4 years later is it still not on the shelves?
    Flipping is not happening much anymore, surely the hoarders are running out of storage and/or money by now.
    Where is the ammo?

lstout

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 16, 2016
    NW Indy
    I've actually been having really good luck finding 22LR. Cabelas always has 22LR. Now they are mroe expensive than they used to be but they do seem to be available.

lstout

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 16, 2016
    NW Indy
    I've also had good luck at Gander Mountain they always seem to have bulk packages. The 50 count boxes are always way over priced though.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I hve found a lot of decently priced 22's of all sorts, subsonics, Colibri Powderless, longs, shorts, long rifle and magnum at my local stores and various Big Box places around town. I haven't been buying a lot of it though. I see it everywhere in Terre Haute though

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Picked up Federal for $2.50/50 at Gander Mountain not long ago. LGS has it (still a bit elevated). Wal-Mart and Rural King have it in pretty often for decent prices.

Shortage has really let up, and with the election results I expect it to dissipate rather quickly as panic purchasing slows.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've bought quite a bit of 22 LR in the last 12 months at various stores, but shorts were sparse until about 3 weeks ago. I was able to pick some up at WM and LGS. Since then, I've seen shorts at 3 other stores and one had 500 round bulk packs. Glad to see they're back along with 22 magnum.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    22LR can be had by the brick here in FT Wayne

Freedom has Aguila by the skid , CCI SV ........GM always has golden bullet , auto match and sometimes CCI .......Rural King has Geco (RWS) by the brick

and these are just a few places around here

GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I must he going to the wrong stores. The Wal Mart in New Castle and Noblesville never have bulk packs when I go in. Just the 50 or 100 rd boxes that are too expensive for my liking. The local rural king is the same. 50 rd boxes for 5 each, just can't being myself to pay 50 for 500

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've not purchased .22lr since before Sandy Hook.
    When Sandy Hook occurred I was sitting on around 16k rounds of .22lr.
    Between my shooting, donating to youth programs, and give-aways along side Crickett rifles, my stockpile is down to around 8k rounds.

It's just now that I feel the need to start restocking.
    I haven't really paid that much attention to price, though I have noticed the lack of .22's on the shelves the past handful of years.

I'm hoping that with Trumps election, and manufacturers running full-tilt, maybe, just MAYBE, prices will start to come back down a ways.
    Oh for my school days, when a 14 year old could buy a 50ct box of .22lr at the local grocery store or gas station for less than $.50 per box.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    There's a sticky at the top of this forum called "get your ammo here". There's usually a few posts a week for .22s......lots of them from Gander and Cabelas will include free shipping to boot.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    I've been able to find .22 ammo, to some degree, for the last 4 yrs. I'm picky, and only want CCI SV LR. I've been able to buy it by the brick thru all 4 yrs, and the most I've pd. for a brick is $40. the bulk of it has been $35. Big secret, I only look/ask at LGSs. My local Wal Mart hasn't had any .22 ammo in 4+ yrs., and very little at Rural King.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its a regional thing. I can go to any other state and find PLENTY on the shelf. I regularly make trips to Columbus, and for a short while was bringing back 22 at cost to help out INGOers. The shelves over there were always fully stocked. I witnessed (and helped a Boy Scout mom bypass) purchase limits, but I never saw them actually run low.

I dont know what it is, but it appears that many retailers around here have either stopped buying it, or the flippers/hoarders are VERY effective at buying it as fast as it appears on the shelf. But I suspect from talking with multiple sales clerks at multiple stores/companies that its just not being shipped to stores. Either "we just dont get it on the truck" or "the warehouses stockpile and only ship us quantity when they want to put it in an ad".

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have seen it a lot lately. Pretty much any walmart I go to. Has numerous winchester and cci for like 7.50 a hundred round brick. I love cci standard velocity. And will pay 7 cents a round. Its not the 24 bucks it use to be but the dollar isn't worth near as much either.

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    Cabelas in Hammond and Blythes in Griffth has has .22 ever time I've been there in the past couple of months. In the last two weeks Cabelas has had the 325 round federal pack in stock for well over 6 hours

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    It has been nearly 4 years since Sandy Hook. For a long time we heard hoarders and new shooters were the problem, then it went to ammo flippers. Article after article started telling us production was running 24/7 at multiple manufacturers.
    Why nearly 4 years later is it still not on the shelves?
    Flipping is not happening much anymore, surely the hoarders are running out of storage and/or money by now.
    Where is the ammo?

Supplies are still sparse the last time I checked Walmart and Rural King in Muncie. I like to shop the Muncie Dick's Sporting Goods for my .22lr right now. They have several different brands in stock at any given time and they also occasionally offer sales. For instance, the Federal Target .22lr in the white and black box normally runs $24 something for a count of 325. Recently, Dick's had it marked down to $18.25 per box for about a week.

This article right here says that the price should drop in the near future due to the results of the election. I sure hope so. :)

Price of .22 Ammunition to Drop? - The Truth About Guns

GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I struggle with the pricing as well. Not long ago it was less than $20 for a 500rd bulk pack.
    Not long after all this started I sold my custom 10/22. Wife and kids loved shooting it but we could easily burn through 500rds in a few hours. The only 22 I currently have is an SR22.
    I am having an itch for another custom 10/22. I hope to start seeing some of those $20 bulk packs piled up on the shelves again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We will be back to norm when Walmart has sales w/o limits on Federal bulk pack bricks at less than $20 bucks. Back out on the end caps and isles for grabbing yourself vs behind a counter where you have to track down someone with a key.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom