• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    Zionsville
    How many rounds of 44 mag would you have to shoot annually to make the cost savings of reloading worth the time and investment? I have a marlin 1894 and only shoot 300-500 round annually. I usually shoot the Winchester White Box 240 grain JSP and pay approx .92 a bullet. So I am spending anywhere from 276 - 460 shooting. If it is a good plan to reload, where would I start looking to find the equipment I would need. I used to reload shotgun shells but have since given that up because I don't bird hunt or clay shoot often any longer.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I am loading 240 gr XTP for about 0.32/round and 225 FTX a few cents more. That would be about $96-160 a year with your annual rounds. Given that amount of savings and if you shoot any other calibers, I think reloading would be worth it. If you have the time, you won't regret getting into reloading. I don't do a lot of bulk, so a single stage press suits me well. You could pay for the equipment with the savings in less than two years.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    and if you keep a fair amount of brass, bullets, powder and primers on hand, when there is a scare, you still get to shoot.

Gotten through countless scares myself, I even cast bullets when I get a bit low, and have been able to shoot even when others are whining about the lack or price of ammo.

Shotsshells on the other hand require a lot of shooting to make it work. Like when I was shooting registered skeet I would go through thousands of shells a year. Lead has become anathema for the environment :rolleyes: so it has become rather expensive. Making shotshell loading a bit harder to make it work out in your favor. YMMV

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    44 mag is one of those that pays to reload especially with the volume you shoot!. I already have the loader and am getting ready to get 44 mag dies for it. I am down to my last 15 rounds of factory ammo and for the price of two boxes of ammo I can get the dies, primers, and powder for +-300 rounds and bullets for the 100 rounds that I would have bought..... All others after that are like $15.00 a box for XTP hot loads till more powder is needed.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I didn't notice it being said earlier so I'll add this: When ammo becomes cheaper, you may be more likely to shoot more. Maybe even venture into other calibers. It IS a sickness you know.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Lee and RCBS (and probably most every other reloading company). Have starter kits, they will get you well on the road. Usually the primer feed, beam weight scale, bullet puller and basic case prep stuff, powder funnel will be included. Read the box. You will also Dies, a dial caliper, your brass, projectiles, powder, primers and you are pretty well set to reload. RCBS Rock Chuckers are excellent. The Lee Classic Challenger Breach Lock classic is good (I have 2). Usually it can be had for 150-175 new with dies to load one caliber of your choice, RCBS, Lee, Dillon and Hornady all have great customer service. Any of them will do you well.

Reloading trays will make life easier too. If you are doing rifle cartridges a case trimmer of some kind is a must. There are a lot of options for those. And get a few reloading manuals, Lyman and Lee books are really good for starters. I have the Hornady and Nosler books too. You can't have to much reloading information!

Depending on the quality if components you buy sometimes you aren't saving a lot of money. But you can end up with a much nuch higher quality bullet. I'd probably start with a single stage press. If you get in to it a lot more then you can look at progressive's or turrets. The single stage press learning curve and setup is pretty easy. and it's damned handy to have around for just depriming and such. I still load everything on a single stage. I might get a progressive someday.

Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions! We won't mind answering them. We want you to be safe!

I usually don't load more then 5 rounds for any new caliber. It's easier to fix and or cheaper to toss 5 oops! Once I have a good load you can load bigger batches. I do 20 rifle usually or 50 pistol rounds at a time. That's just my preference. Never stop during a reloading step. If you can't devote the time to finish a step just wait till you can then do it. I use 2 trays and move the rounds back and forth threw the steps.

Tumble or clean. Deprime, size (some times just neck size), trim and debur, then flare case mouth on pistol rounds, check & clean primer pocket, install the primer, then do a powder drop. Seat the bullet, then crimp the case if necessary. Buy box labels to mark the load data, Bullet type, primer, powder and weight and I usually write case length and over all cartridge length on the label, And write down the date you loaded and the times the cartridge has been reloaded. Put the label on the box! I also mark the times it was neck or full lenght sized. Keeping an eye on brass life can tell you a lot later on down the road! Subject for another post.

Other good ideals are to sort brass by the head stamp. I am a lil'OCD and weight the trimmed cases and sort them by weight. Then I weigh the loaded bullets when am done loading so I can catch a powder error etc. We all have our ways of doing things. It's a fun way to spend a evening or a quiet day. My boy helps a lot. He loves doing the case prep. Check and see if anyone near you is in to reloading. Look for a reloaders class.

Enough of my babbling. Let us know what you go with. And how you make out. Have fun!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    All great advice. I am a total newbie as well, but have spent the last few months studying extensively.

Best advice: Get yourself some good reading material, and study well *before* you spend too much money. You will change your mind several times during this process! The first two books I read were the Lyman 49th edition and the ABCs of Reloading. I recommend both highly. I have read through the reloading sections in each book at least 3X! Next, I picked up the Lee book and the Hornady book, both of which are good, but I still say the Lyman and ABC books are best to start with, with much more detailed info on basic "how to reload".

After a lot of back-and-forth on this forum, the folks around here convinced me to go with the Lee Classic Turret Press (LCT). To me, this press has the best of all worlds as you can also easily use it as a single-stage press when you want to by removing the center rod (takes about 5 seconds), but then also increase your throughput when wanted by using it as a turret press. I like the Lee turret over other turrets because it auto-advances to the next step automatically (when in turret mode) which helps to eliminate possible mistakes such as double loads in case you forget to advance the turret yourself.

The LCT alone is just north of $100 (or just north of $200 for a kit), so if you hate it, you can always sell it (they are very popular) and get a good hunk of your money back, and the most you can possibly be out is $100. A word of warning if you buy the LCT kit: The Lee beam scale that comes in the kit is not very highly regarded. See if you can find the RCBS 5-0-5 on sale (it is being replaced with a new model). I got mine for $40 on MidwayUSA about 2 months ago.

I also decided to build a solid reloading bench. You will need a really sturdy bench with a lot of room to do this hobby right. I used the NRMA reloading bench plans that are all over the internet, and then modified them slightly to fit my needs.

At first it seems a bit intimidating with all of the crazy information, but once you read, read and read some more, it all of a sudden comes together in a flash! You will get that "Aha!" effect fairly quickly where everything suddenly makes sense. I would definitely spend some time reading before spending any money.

I my humble opinion, if you just *have* to spend money on a press now, take 1911ly's advice and buy an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press *or* my advice and buy the LCT. Either press will make you happy in the long run.

Best of luck!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There are many reasons to get into reloading...saving money is just one of them. If you're ONLY going to shoot 44 RM, it may not be as rewarding as if you shot other cartridges, but still probably worth the effort. If nothing else, reloading is a very relaxing hobby to go along with your enjoyment of the shooting sports.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Lot to consider when it comes to hand loading. Saving money isn't one of them. It will however leave you with more ammo per dollar spent, ability to tough out a shortage, and Taylor the load to YOUR gun.

I would recommend buying used and put together your own setup. I bought a Lee kit and most of it got upgraded once I got started making ammo.

Another thing is your mechanical ability and what your time is worth to you.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Best advice: Get yourself some good reading material, and study well *before* you spend too much money.!

I am a newbie as well, but I can definitely agree with this advice! While I have no regrets (only in order of purchases really), I would have done things differently if able to.
    I talked to a couple guys with Dillon presses and I pretty much "knew" I "needed" a progressive press. Well after countless hours of research, I decided to go "red" instead of "blue". About 2 yrs ago I picked up a Hornady Lock and Load AP progressive press. I like it, however it is a little much for a new reloader. Given the limited time I had to set things up (school, new baby, full time job, house projects, etc), plus actually figuring out how to use the thing, I would have been better served with a single stage press. I subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" way of thinking in most situations, however in this case, I should have started more "inexpensively". My error was that I didn't really know what I needed. Instead, I became fixated on price, features, and this illusion I could streamline my work space to only have one press. Well guess what?... I currently have a single stage press in the mail. While I could pound out a ton of rounds on my progressive, there are things that (in my mind) make more sense to do separately. Things like de-priming/resizing before wet tumbling brass. While I can do it on my press, It would be easier on a single stage press. Military primers are tough. If sitting down to deprime and size 1k 308 casings I want big and beefy. Case prep is a big deal to me. I wanted to get into this to make great OCD- quality loads, I want them to LOOK good too!:)
    The learning curve would have been easier to just worry about one thing at a time as well. While this additional process of setup wasnt overlooked when I bought my progressive, it kinda took the spontaneity away a bit. All that being said, I love my machine so far! It works very well!

I'm a complete newb, take anything i say with a grain of salt! Multiple manuals are a good thing as well!

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    This is the kit I got https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Breech-Lock-Challenger/dp/B003ISVWC6

As mentioned before, the beam scale leaves a lot to be desired. The pointer isn't very intuitive to read. Also it doesn't seem that many people realize you can lock down the 1grain slider. If you don't its really easy tap while working making you have to reset it. I did end up getting a cheap frankford arsenal digital scale. I went back and forth checking weights between the two scales and with the beam scale, it is possible to get +/- .1gr measurements.

It also seems that people either love or hate the powder measure. If you end up with it, the first thing you have to do is run a hopper of powder through it. It becomes way more consistent after that. Extruded powders don't really measure consistently. However, I've never really read reviews on any powder measure they work well through. Ball powders work extremely well.

I've gone back and forth about getting the lee turret. For me I decided that since I currently only load 30-30 and enough of the work happens off the press, The increase in speed probably ins't enough for me to worry about it. Now, if I ever got a caliber that I didn't have to consider trimming every time, I'd probably reconsider and get the turret or even a progressive.

I also don't have a tumbler. I use the lee trimmer and chuck it up in my drill. So after I resize, I run the cutter then I grab a paper towel and clean off the lube while running the drill. I won't win any shiniest brass contests, however, its clean and ready to go.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This is the kit I got https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Breech-Lock-Challenger/dp/B003ISVWC6

As mentioned before, the beam scale leaves a lot to be desired. The pointer isn't very intuitive to read. Also it doesn't seem that many people realize you can lock down the 1grain slider. If you don't its really easy tap while working making you have to reset it. I did end up getting a cheap frankford arsenal digital scale. I went back and forth checking weights between the two scales and with the beam scale, it is possible to get +/- .1gr measurements.

It also seems that people either love or hate the powder measure. If you end up with it, the first thing you have to do is run a hopper of powder through it. It becomes way more consistent after that. Extruded powders don't really measure consistently. However, I've never really read reviews on any powder measure they work well through. Ball powders work extremely well.

I've gone back and forth about getting the lee turret. For me I decided that since I currently only load 30-30 and enough of the work happens off the press, The increase in speed probably ins't enough for me to worry about it. Now, if I ever got a caliber that I didn't have to consider trimming every time, I'd probably reconsider and get the turret or even a progressive.

I also don't have a tumbler. I use the lee trimmer and chuck it up in my drill. So after I resize, I run the cutter then I grab a paper towel and clean off the lube while running the drill. I won't win any shiniest brass contests, however, its clean and ready to go.

Get some 000 steel wool instead of the paper towel...removes the lube AND makes the brass shiny. I use this technique on the neck and shoulder area because it makes it easier to see small splits.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    All great advice. I am a total newbie as well, but have spent the last few months studying extensively.

Best advice: Get yourself some good reading material, and study well *before* you spend too much money. You will change your mind several times during this process! The first two books I read were the Lyman 49th edition and the ABCs of Reloading. I recommend both highly. I have read through the reloading sections in each book at least 3X! Next, I picked up the Lee book and the Hornady book, both of which are good, but I still say the Lyman and ABC books are best to start with, with much more detailed info on basic "how to reload".

After a lot of back-and-forth on this forum, the folks around here convinced me to go with the Lee Classic Turret Press (LCT). To me, this press has the best of all worlds as you can also easily use it as a single-stage press when you want to by removing the center rod (takes about 5 seconds), but then also increase your throughput when wanted by using it as a turret press. I like the Lee turret over other turrets because it auto-advances to the next step automatically (when in turret mode) which helps to eliminate possible mistakes such as double loads in case you forget to advance the turret yourself.

The LCT alone is just north of $100 (or just north of $200 for a kit), so if you hate it, you can always sell it (they are very popular) and get a good hunk of your money back, and the most you can possibly be out is $100. A word of warning if you buy the LCT kit: The Lee beam scale that comes in the kit is not very highly regarded. See if you can find the RCBS 5-0-5 on sale (it is being replaced with a new model). I got mine for $40 on MidwayUSA about 2 months ago.

I also decided to build a solid reloading bench. You will need a really sturdy bench with a lot of room to do this hobby right. I used the NRMA reloading bench plans that are all over the internet, and then modified them slightly to fit my needs.

At first it seems a bit intimidating with all of the crazy information, but once you read, read and read some more, it all of a sudden comes together in a flash! You will get that "Aha!" effect fairly quickly where everything suddenly makes sense. I would definitely spend some time reading before spending any money.

I my humble opinion, if you just *have* to spend money on a press now, take 1911ly's advice and buy an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press *or* my advice and buy the LCT. Either press will make you happy in the long run.

Best of luck!

This is what I got for a reloading bench. The 4 drawers are nice for storage and it's good and solid.
    image_20328.jpg

60 in. 4 Drawer Hardwood Workbench
    I got mine on sale for 139 I think.

I also have a bench grinder stand that I use as a portable reloading "bench". It allows me to work outside on the deck when it's nice. I mounted my presses on two pieces of 2x6 and then I just clamp them to either my regular bench or my portable. I like this set up because I don't have to have both presses (RCBS Rock Chucker and Lee Classic Turret Press) mounted permanently.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    .44 Magnum is one of the better rounds to reload for because of the relatively high cost of factory ammo.
    You can bring the cost down further if you use cast bullets, but be sure that you educate yourself fully on how to avoid leading by adjusting your load data to keep soft lead bullets below the speed that can cause leading, using harder alloys, or gas checks.
    You'll have lots of other benefits with reloading, namely being able to customize your loads for your rifle, getting your ammo to shoot the most accurately possible, learning much more about the shooting sports, and you can always get another set of dies and brass/bullets/primers/powder if you want to load for any other centerfire guns that you may have.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom