• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    I switched from Hornady FTX 44mags to Winchester white box 240 soft points this year in my marlin 84 for deer season. The FTX's always fragmented into nothing and never penetrated to the other side of the rib cage. This 44 entered just in front of the left shoulder and stopped under the hide behind the right shoulder of a good size buck. Instant KO. I was rather pleased with the results, so I thought I'd share.
    44edit.jpg smooshed.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've had good luck with the 225 grain .452 diameter FTX out of my .45 Colt Marlin 1894 on deer, with all three deer shot getting exits, but I did notice that the cores separate, so they probably wouldn't be suitable for bigger game such as black bear or elk.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    44 and 45 bullets don't need to expand...they just need to penetrate, fully, if at all possible.

Hardcast LBT style 44 and 45 bullets are ideal, presuming they are accurate from your gun.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    44 and 45 bullets don't need to expand...they just need to penetrate, fully, if at all possible.

Hardcast LBT style 44 and 45 bullets are ideal, presuming they are accurate from your gun.

SWC or RNFP bullets in those calibers have a track record of working well on deer in those two calibers, and they're probably preferred for bigger game (black bear and elk on up in size) in those calibers, but expansion is still useful for thin skinned game to get an even larger wound channel, prevent them from running quite as far, and to make tracking easier.
    Admittedly, I've only taken four deer at this point (three shot with my .45 Colt and one with my .30-06 only this year), but the expanding bullets that I used for all four performed entirely satisfactorily.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    SWC or RNFP bullets in those calibers have a track record of working well on deer in those two calibers, and they're probably preferred for bigger game (black bear and elk on up in size) in those calibers, but expansion is still useful for thin skinned game to get an even larger wound channel, prevent them from running quite as far, and to make tracking easier.
    Admittedly, I've only taken four deer at this point (three shot with my .45 Colt and one with my .30-06 only this year), but the expanding bullets that I used for all four performed entirely satisfactorily.

Most of the 40-odd deer, and handful of hogs, I've taken have been with expanding bullets, but when it comes to larger bores, all you really need is penetration.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Most of the 40-odd deer, and handful of hogs, I've taken have been with expanding bullets, but when it comes to larger bores, all you really need is penetration.

You won't get any challenge from me about that, especially considering the gristle shield that the big old boars get!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big heavy cast slugs in a 45 LC rifle will do a solid job on a lot of animals. Shot a whitetail doe at 40 yards and the 325 grain Lyman 452651 went through left front shoulder and out the right hind quarter.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    Proceeded to take a doe this weekend with the white box ammo. A clean shot through both lungs at 80 yards, easy to follow blood trail, deer traveled maybe 50 yards. I have no qualms with 44s efficacy as a hunting round.
    Doe44.jpg

Top Bottom