• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    I recently purchased a Performance Center SW Shield last week in 9mm. I decided to try some different types of ammunition this week. I usually shoot Tula 40sw with no concerns with some other guns, so I thought I would try the New Winchester Forged 9mm, as there was no Tula 9mm on the shelf. I picked them up at a local big box store for around $30 for 150 rounds.

Upon first appearance... The cases feel a little sticky, as there is a coating on them to reduce "friction" and corrosion. They are a dull gray color, and are difficult to see in the Loaded chamber hole on the Shield (as expected).

The first few magazines feed pretty well. I did notice more "stuff" flying in the air through the ports on the Performance Center Shield than I did with remanufactured 9mm that I was comparing it with.

Then I had a FTE... The Case was very stuck in the breech. It took some force to rack the slide and remove it. This happened not once, but 3 (three) times in the 300 rds that I took with me.

After my range time was done, the gun was dirty. It does have a ported barrel so being more dirty than other guns appears to be normal. I did not find the gun to be any dirtier than expected (or that I have seen in my other guns).

I will say that my experience with other brands of steel cased ammunition in other guns was very good... maybe the Shield is a little finicky, I am not sure yet. For now, I am going to have to say that I will not be taking the Winchester Forged 9mm with me to the range again and will be sticking to remanufactured brass or new brass ammunition for the time being.

If you have had some similar issues, I would like to hear them. Either with the Shield or with Steel Cased ammunition.

Here is a quick standard intro to the new Winchester Forged 9mm ammunition.
    First Look: Winchester USA Forged 9mm - Guns & Ammo

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've not run actual steel cased ammo in my Shield, but I have run Federal Aluminum cased ammo from time to time and it worked fine. I've had enough poor experiences with Winchester brass cased ammo that I wouldn't even consider using their steel cased ammo.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Interestingly, Winchester BRASS, for reloading, is very good to excellent. In my experience, Winchester brass is a very good value for the reloader.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Their centerfire rifle hunting ammo is good enough...I think it's better to say their rimfire and semi-auto pistol ammo leaves something to be desired.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    UPDATE!

The Performance Center Shield is NOT disappointing me at all! It really is a great shooter. Took to the range today and ran 100+ rounds of TULA steel ammo through it. The First 75 or so were flawless. THEN... as you know, as things get dirty, troubles can creep up. I had MANY FTF's with the remaining steel rounds. The lack of lubrication on the gun during the session COULD have been a contributor. I have never had a ported gun, so I am not used to lubricating during range sessions so this is new to me. This little gun is QUICKLY becoming my favorite, as it has for many. I can say that if you were attending a Training Class, be prepared with Brass Ammunition (or use steel if you like Malf. Training). I have been having GREAT Results with Brass, but Steel I am reserving for slow "technique" drills and plinking.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    UPDATE!

The Performance Center Shield is NOT disappointing me at all! It really is a great shooter. Took to the range today and ran 100+ rounds of TULA steel ammo through it. The First 75 or so were flawless. THEN... as you know, as things get dirty, troubles can creep up. I had MANY FTF's with the remaining steel rounds. The lack of lubrication on the gun during the session COULD have been a contributor. I have never had a ported gun, so I am not used to lubricating during range sessions so this is new to me. This little gun is QUICKLY becoming my favorite, as it has for many. I can say that if you were attending a Training Class, be prepared with Brass Ammunition (or use steel if you like Malf. Training). I have been having GREAT Results with Brass, but Steel I am reserving for slow "technique" drills and plinking.

Wow, less than two boxes of that crap and the gun starts giving problems. How long does it run on brass ammo before giving problems?

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    I ran around 300 brass through it with no issues... I am going to do a brass test next week and see how many I can get through it before a malfunction occurs. If brass has issues, I may have to call S&W and see what they recommend.

Top Bottom