• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Stumbled across this today. I like the idea, but one thing completely bothers me. They say the case is stronger than brass, can take pressures over Plus P Plus (65k CUP) and doesn't fatigue like brass, but at the same time is so fragile it can't use standard reloading dies? Aluminum head with a nickel steel alloy body. I can't find anything on how the two parts go together. I'm very tempted to buy a box just so I can cut one in half and figure it out.

http://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't do beta testing on gun technology, particularly with the part that goes *bang*.
    Give it a few years of rigorous testing and a track record of being a genuinely better mousetrap, and we'll buy.
    My first instinct is to look at this with the same healthy skepticism that we (justifiably) gave the RIP bullets that turned out to be just another gimmick.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The Youtubers seem to be pretty impressed with them (their credentials are respectable). They've also been written about in a handfull of second shelf magazines. Personally, I think it's just asking for case head separation.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm in no way jumping on the bandwagon, but the benefits they list are:

Spring coefficient / tensile strength - case length doesn't grow, cases rebound from chamber from easier extraction, reloadable life 10x that of brass.
    Corrosion resistant - extends case life, lowers friction.
    Lower friction - just like nickel plated, these cases slide easier out of the magazine and out of the chamber.
    Ferrous - magnetic cases are easier to collect and clean up.

Interestingly enough, what makes brass cases good for reloading is the malleability of brass. Makes flaring and crimping possible. Not sure how those would work well with these cases.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm in no way jumping on the bandwagon, but the benefits they list are:

Spring coefficient / tensile strength - case length doesn't grow, cases rebound from chamber from easier extraction, reloadable life 10x that of brass.
    Corrosion resistant - extends case life, lowers friction.
    Lower friction - just like nickel plated, these cases slide easier out of the magazine and out of the chamber.
    Ferrous - magnetic cases are easier to collect and clean up.

Interestingly enough, what makes brass cases good for reloading is the malleability of brass. Makes flaring and crimping possible. Not sure how those would work well with these cases.

If all those things turn out to be true, and if these really hold up and cause no problems, these will succeed on a grand scale, and possibly with some military applications.
    The price on the cases didn't seem out of line.
    Also, they have specialized dies that resize and flare the case, with the clear difference from conventional sizing dies being that they both have spring-loaded central posts that forcibly push the case free of the die rather than depending on the shell holder to pull it free, presumably because of the soft aluminum extractor groove/rim that would get stripped off without the benefit of that central post.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    There was another post around here on this recently. I tried to search for it, but could not find it. Does anyone remember it? I tried searching for "Shellshock" (with and without a space), and sever other combinations (2 piece, etc.) but could not find anything.

Top Bottom