• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Etaylor2291

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2016
    Lebanon
    Hey guys, I'm new to INGO so this will be my first post! Anyways I bought a beautiful yugo capture 98k the other day and I am wondering if anyone knew of a shop that frequently carries 8mm mauser ammo in central Indiana? Thanks!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Traildust Surplus in Bloomington has 8mm Mauser ammo. Usually they have both commercial non-corrosive ammo (PPU brand) and surplus corrosive ammo. Ask them and they will help you find whichever flavor you need.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you pick up some surplus ammo be aware (as Ammoman stated) that it is most likely corrosive. You will need to thoroughly clean your rifle when you are done shooting. If you need tips on that just yell and we can give you some.

Let us know what you think of it. You can post some pics over here if you want: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/33819-long-gun-show-tell.html We love seeing rifles!!

You can introduce yourself here if you want: Introductions and Greetings It's not a requirement though.

Welcome to the forum! :ingo:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When you get tired of scrubbing your rifle from muzzle to butt plate after every trip to the range, and decide to load your own 8x57 ammo, DO let us know! :)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My rifle loves the 198 grain Yugo surplus stuff. PPU PRVI shoots well as does the Mitchell Mauser rebranded stuff (I think it's really PPU but has a Mitchell head stamp).

I've been able to get ammo from Dunham's.

Etaylor2291

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2016
    Lebanon
    If you pick up some surplus ammo be aware (as Ammoman stated) that it is most likely corrosive. You will need to thoroughly clean your rifle when you are done shooting. If you need tips on that just yell and we can give you some.

Let us know what you think of it. You can post some pics over here if you want: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/33819-long-gun-show-tell.html We love seeing rifles!!

You can introduce yourself here if you want: Introductions and Greetings It's not a requirement though.

Welcome to the forum! :ingo:

Thanks 1911ly, I'll have to put it on the show and tell! I was very excited to finally get a 98k

Etaylor2291

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2016
    Lebanon
    When you get tired of scrubbing your rifle from muzzle to butt plate after every trip to the range, and decide to load your own 8x57 ammo, DO let us know! :)

I will let you know, the more I shoot the more im thinking about getting into reloading, I am definitely going to save my brass

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What he said.
    Be sure that whatever ammo you save brass from is modern brass case Boxer primed, not corrosive Berdan primed.
    I highly recommend getting into reloading, and there are lots of us (myself included) who have done it for a long time and even enjoy it nearly as much as shooting itself; so we'll be glad to give you suggestions on what you'll need for your initial setup and how to use it should you take the plunge.
    Even if you don't go that direction, you can almost certainly sell the once fired brass for a modest discount over unfired brass to some of the folks on here.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What he said.
    Be sure that whatever ammo you save brass from is modern brass case Boxer primed, not corrosive Berdan primed.
    I highly recommend getting into reloading, and there are lots of us (myself included) who have done it for a long time and even enjoy it nearly as much as shooting itself; so we'll be glad to give you suggestions on what you'll need for your initial setup and how to use it should you take the plunge.
    Even if you don't go that direction, you can almost certainly sell the once fired brass for a modest discount over unfired brass to some of the folks on here.

Yep Oldpink, Reloading (to me) is another hobby in itself. I could not afford to shoot as much of some of the caliber's I do if I did not get in to reloading. 8mm can be a real cost saver after the initial brass cost. Learn how to neck size too. Just yell. As Oldpink said, there are lots of experienced reloaders here to lean on for info.

I am getting ready to reload some 8mm Mauser shortly. I'll post some info in the "what are you reloading" thread,

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    To get the best out of some older rifles, reloading is almost mandatory...8x57 Mauser is one such cartridge. The surplus ammo is a pain, due to the cleaning requirements, and commercial ammo sold in the US is loaded well below the capability of the cartridge, due to some of the earliest rifles having a .318" bore instead of the standard .323". For price, performance and consistent availability of accurate ammunition, reloading is definitely the way to go for the 8mm Mauser.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I will let you know, the more I shoot the more im thinking about getting into reloading, I am definitely going to save my brass
    My son bought me 24/47 8mm Mauser for my birthday a couple months ago. Immediately bought dies, powders and 198 grain Hornady Bullets. I already load for more than 10 calibers so what is one more. Savings over factory ammo is good but customiziing a load to that rifle was a great project. You can find virgin 8mm brass, just have to search. 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards is not too bad even with my old eyes.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    I picked up a few thousand rounds of surplus a few years back on the sister site to the south of here. 100 bucks for all of it, so I am content with cleaning after use.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom