School me on bullet types (cast vs. plated vs. jacketed)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been doing some reading on the differences between these three bullet types, and wanted to get some local "real" opinions.

Actually, cast is pretty easy, so really my questions probably center mostly on plated vs. jacketed, and I am not going to be using cast bullets anyway, at least for a long time, but when discussing plated vs. jacketed, cast bullets always come up as a way of defining plated bullets.

I have a bunch of 9mm Berry's and Xtreme plated bullets, and I have read some of the verbiage on the Berry's web site about how to load them (somewhere between lead and FMJ), but this is a bit vague.

Then there is the issue of fouling the barrel. I have read that HK guns have polygonal rifling, which are more susceptible to fouling with plated bullets - I own an H&K VP9.

Ugh! I am pretty confused!

How does one go about developing a load for a plated bullet? (I know, start low and work up, and keep the velocities below 1,200 fps.)

Should I be concerned about lead build-up in the barrel of my VP9?

What is the best method to clean the nasty lead deposits?

Are plated bullets really worth the lower cost, or should I just spend the extra amount on FMJ to eliminate the hassle, especially as a new loader that needs to eliminate as many variables as possible?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You truly can't talk about plated without talking cast.
    I'm sure your going to get the 7 paragraph responses soon so I'll get to the down and dirty..
    plated is the cost effective compromise between cast and jacketed. If your not running rounds at extreme velocities, generally above 1200-1400fps, then why spend the money for a jacketed bullet designed to go much faster. Money savings equal more shooting. A jacket bullet is just that, a copper jacket a lead bullet is placed in. Think of playing as a paint job.
    if you stick to velocities below 1200 fps you'll have no issues. And I shoot jacketed out of hk and Glock all the time. Dont over think it!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    How to work up a load.... Start with the bullet weights lead load data and work it from there. There are 1,000,000 proven loads out there using berry's bullets. And they will not make a mess out of your barrel

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I never had good luck with accuracy from Ranier plated bullets and others haven't either. I haven't any experience with the Berrys and Xtreme. I've had good accuracy with quality lead bullets at target velocities at 25 yards. I've had the best results, accuracy wise, with copper jacketed bullets driven fairly fast at 50 yards. For cleaning lead deposits from a barrel, I've had good luck with a Lewis Lead Remover, as well as, a top quality brass bore brush wrapped with a few strands of Chore Boy solid copper scouring pads. Kroil is a great penetrating oil and if left in a bore, it will work its way underneath most fouling. Here's a link for a Lewis Lead Remover: LEWIS LEAD REMOVER | Brownells

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I use almost exclusively plated for training ammo now. Cast is cheaper, but dirtier. On an indoor range, the level of smoke can be annoying as well. I'd rather not wait for my insta-smoke screen to clear before shooting my next drill. Plated is cleaner, doesn't leave wax in my dies, and accuracy is good enough for me. My .45 ACP reloads will hold a 1" group at 10y out of my P220, so I don't see any accuracy issues that are relevant to my shooting.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Doublehelix,

Actually, you forgot about a fourth type-- coated, which is the new hotness. Basically a lead bullet with a polymer coating. Coated bullets load and fire just like lead without all of the messiness. Many competition shooter are switching over to coated bullets.....:twocents:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nearly all of my shooting is done with bullets I cast myself, gas checked or plain base. Got started nearly 40 years ago and have had few guns I couldn't get decent results with. High velocity stuff and Marlin microgroove haven't turned out very well.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Doublehelix,

Actually, you forgot about a fourth type-- coated, which is the new hotness. Basically a lead bullet with a polymer coating. Coated bullets load and fire just like lead without all of the messiness. Many competition shooter are switching over to coated bullets.....:twocents:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

I have had some pretty good luck with the new style coated bullets. I have used the black bullets for years. I have shot red, blue and white ones that are a different coating than the black ones from precision bullet, and they work amazingly well. The only thing I don't like is that they smell like an overloaded electric motor when the insulation is burning. You only notice that when shooting indoors.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep coated bullets for me. Much cleaner then lead with lube. I have also loaded plated. No problem there either. Just use load data at the higher end for lead.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have used Rainier and Berry's for 9mm and 38 Spl. I started with the 9mm for my G19. I started in the lead range and had issues with ejecting and feeding. I bumped up to 4.2 gr of TightGroup with no problems. My 38 loads are at the low end of lead data.

Top Bottom