• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    So I have everything setup in my reloading room. I am using the LCT press, and have installed the 9mm Lee 4-die set according to the directions on the instructions. I realize I will have to fine tune, especially the bullet seating die.

I also have the Lee Auto Drum powder drop, and have not really done anything to set that up yet, although that is my next step.

I have so many questions now that I am actually ready to load my first bullets! Ugh! I hate to be a pest, but I want to make sure to be safe.

My plan is to load up about 20 rounds and to individually weigh the powder for each of these first rounds rather than use the Auto Drum just to remove a variable and gain some confidence. I will probably just pour through the powder-through die using a funnel.

Even though I have carbide dies, I have heard it is not a bad idea to lightly lube pistol cases as well to make things go easier and smoother. Smart, or just a waste of time?

I will start with a dummy round to get the bullet depth seated correctly, and use my gauges as well as a plunk test before setting on a final COAL. Is that smart, or should I just use the published COAL in the reloading manuals and then verify with a plunk test?

What am I missing? I feel like I have been studying for months (actually, I have), but now that the time is here, I feel like I am missing something...

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Even though I have carbide dies, I have heard it is not a bad idea to lightly lube pistol cases as well to make things go easier and smoother. Smart, or just a waste of time?...
    You can feel it is easier to size the brass with some lube (9mm and .380 here). I put a dryer sheet in a baggie with a couple handfuls of brass and shake/massage the bagged brass for a couple of minutes. OR, sometimes I get out my bottle of RCBS lube and just put a little on my thumb and first two fingers, rub the lube a little and use those fingers to apply a little to each case. I may do that between every 20 or 30 cases. Either way it is easier on my arm...

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Can you notice a difference..... More so in the longer pieces of brass like 38spl and longer. Anything shorter than that and I don't feel the hassle is worth it. Plus I don't like the residue left on the case. But that's just me

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Congrats...good to see you about ready to start.

I wouldn't bother with lube for 9mm and carbide dies.

I suggest you go ahead and set up the Lee Auto Drum as a bench top measure and use it to drop your charges for weighing instead of scooping. It will help you get familiar with adjusting the measure and to gain confidence in it before you start using it on the turret press in a progressive setup.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    FWIW, I have never lubed a single case that I've run up into my carbide dies, but I have always deprimed in a universal depriming die, then tumbled the brass before running it up into the sizing die, so that helped keep things slick and relatively free of abrasive debris.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    I would batch load the first 20-50 rounds. That is complete each die/step one at a time for each case.
    First die, (sizing die) with no case in the shell holder, set the size/depriming die to just touch the shell holder at the top of the stroke. Then tighten die. Don’t worry about lube at this time. Run all cases though the die.
    Second die, (expanding die) with a sized case in the shell holder lower the expanding die until a bullet will just start into the case, then tighten the die. Run the same 20-50 cases though that die. Check bullet fit frequently, as a short case will require more belling than a long case.
    Seat primers just below flush with case head. Do all cases.
    Charge cases with powder, weighing each charge. Do all cases.
    Third die, (seating die) with a sized case in the shell holder lower the die until resistance is felt, back die out ¼ turn, then tighten die. Back out seating stem (the knob on top of the die). Seat the first bullet, gradually lower the seating stem and reseat the bullet, continue until you reach the desired OAL Do all cases, checking OAL. A small adjustment may be needed after the first round.
    Forth die, (FCD) with no case in the shell holder, set the crimp die to just touch the shell holder at the top of the stroke. Then tighten die. Back out the crimp (the knob on top of the die). Crimp the first cartridge, gradually lower the knob and crimp again, continue until you reach the desired crimp. A small adjustment may be needed after the first round.
    Now check all cartridges with your gauge. Set aside any that do not check OK.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    These videos from the Lee site can also help you get things set up correctly...Single Station Die Adjustment - Lee Precision

I also went with the Auto Drum, and found it "settled down" and threw a lot more consistantly after the first 100 or so throws. Also, you don't need to use the riser with it....the little activating arm fits nicely between the seating and the factory crimp dies.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am with the others on the lube. It's just going to crud your dies up faster with lube. You will be fine without it. Have fun with it.

You will most likely get frustrated the first few times. Make a check list with steps and you will get it down pat after a few sessions. Just yell if you have a question. If you want to go over anything on the phone PM me and I will gladly give you my ph## I am a night owl.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I am with the others on the lube. It's just going to crud your dies up faster with lube. You will be fine without it. Have fun with it.

You will most likely get frustrated the first few times. Make a check list with steps and you will get it down pat after a few sessions. Just yell if you have a question. If you want to go over anything on the phone PM me and I will gladly give you my ph## I am a night owl.

Great attitude!
    Rep (still not working :( ) on the way.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I am so used to slick resizing efforts, due to using Imperial Sizing Die wax for rifles, that I lube a 9mm case every 5-10, to help keep the operation working smoothly. I don't like to fight the press, which you will do with carbide dies, at times.

Batch loading at first is a great idea. Remove the index rod and size/deprime 20 cases. Then, prime 20 cases, flare the case mouth and charge 20 cases, then seat the bullet on 20 cases and, finally, crimp (remove the belling of the case mouth) on 20 cases.

And have fun! :)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Third step..

I would batch load the first 20-50 rounds. That is complete each die/step one at a time for each case.
    First die, (sizing die) with no case in the shell holder, set the size/depriming die to just touch the shell holder at the top of the stroke. Then tighten die. Don’t worry about lube at this time. Run all cases though the die.
    Second die, (expanding die) with a sized case in the shell holder lower the expanding die until a bullet will just start into the case, then tighten the die. Run the same 20-50 cases though that die. Check bullet fit frequently, as a short case will require more belling than a long case.
    Seat primers just below flush with case head. Do all cases.
    Charge cases with powder, weighing each charge. Do all cases.
    Third die, (seating die) with a sized case in the shell holder lower the die until resistance is felt, back die out ¼ turn, then tighten die. Back out seating stem (the knob on top of the die). Seat the first bullet, gradually lower the seating stem and reseat the bullet, continue until you reach the desired OAL Do all cases, checking OAL. A small adjustment may be needed after the first round.
    Forth die, (FCD) with no case in the shell holder, set the crimp die to just touch the shell holder at the top of the stroke. Then tighten die. Back out the crimp (the knob on top of the die). Crimp the first cartridge, gradually lower the knob and crimp again, continue until you reach the desired crimp. A small adjustment may be needed after the first round.
    Now check all cartridges with your gauge. Set aside any that do not check OK.
    ^^^All good stuff..One point ,on the third die, be sure that you use a sized ONLY case....Not a belled case. This has thrown off MANY reloaders..Bill

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My plan is to load up about 20 rounds ....
    Even though I have carbide dies, I have heard it is not a bad idea to lightly lube pistol cases as well to make things go easier and smoother. Smart, or just a waste of time?

I lube pistol brass, but I'm on a progressive. I find I get better "feel" for all the other processes w/ less resistance on the sizer, and it's easier on me after several hundred or 1k rounds. For 20, I wouldn't bother.

I will start with a dummy round to get the bullet depth seated correctly, and use my gauges as well as a plunk test before setting on a final COAL. Is that smart, or should I just use the published COAL in the reloading manuals and then verify with a plunk test?

yes, you can't set your seat die w/o a bullet. run a case through the process (size, bell, etc) then seat. check it out in a gauge and your chamber. then you can pull the bullet and re-use everything.

Plus I don't like the residue left on the case. But that's just me

One Shot for pistol brass, no noticeable residue, no tumbling off lube.

-rvb

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am humbled by everyone's responses and willingness to offer advice. Truly amazing.

Based on all of this, I am going to do my first 20 rounds in batch mode as suggested. I was actually leaning that direction anyway, so thanks for validating that.

T-Squared: Thanks for the great video links, helps a lot.

OHOIAN: Great post, thanks.

gmcttr: I did not get a stand for my Auto Disk, didn't really think about it until now, but I probably should do that. I have an RCBS Loadmaster 1500 and an RCBS 5-0-5, so I was planning on working on the Loadmaster today to get it primed and throwing accurately before getting started.

1911ly: You da man! Thanks! I recently rep'ed you, so I can't leave you more, but if I could... I might take you up on your offer. Depending on what side of town you live on, maybe we could meet up at some point and I will buy you a cup of coffee or a beer or lunch or whatever and we can talk turkey. I took all of next week off to get up and running, and my wife will be working, so I am pretty much an "unemployed bachelor" next week!!! :rockwoot:

BillyBob: Thanks for catching that. I will make sure I use a resized case and not a belled case.

RVB: I have some One Shot (although there seems to be a love/hate relationship with this stuff). I will probably start without lube and see how it goes with these first 20.

This is really crazy, here I am a 50-something year old man, and I am as nervous as a virgin on his first date!!!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's never too late to get into the joys of reloading.
    It won't be long before you look forward to it nearly as much as you will shooting what you've assembled.
    Have fun!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's never too late to get into the joys of reloading.
    It won't be long before you look forward to it nearly as much as you will shooting what you've assembled.
    Have fun!

QFT! I enjoy the bench time. I really look forward to getting the brass back on the bench and reloading it again.

I think I will reload some more 300wm tonight. I picked up some 212gn ELD-X projectiles. And my newest Hornady handbook showed up yesterday. I just tossed the brass in the tumbler......

OP, Let us know how it goes. I am north of town and between the two South Bend exits. Lunch is on me if you make it this way. I'd PM you my #.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    In know this is an stupid statement but it almost screwed me when I got started with the autodisc. Please remember the marking on the disc is in CC's NOT grains! I would hate for you to load 4.4 cc of powder thinking it was 4.4 grains.

Top Bottom