• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks to everyone's help around here, I finally made some ammo!!! 20 rounds of 9mm cartridges all ready to go bang! (Hopefully in the right direction...)

I know I have been a pain lately with all of my questions, but it finally paid off with some real results.

Here are my first 20 cases, already resized, de-primed and then re-primed. The case and bullet at the top is for the dummy round that I used to set the bullet depth. I was pretty anal and weighed everything. I sorted cases by headstamp and weight, and then did the same with the bullets. (Go ahead and roll your eyes and chuckle at the newbie!)

I did everything by batch, and weighed the powder individually on my Chargemaster rather than use the powder drop on my press, and then verified each charge using my 5-0-5 beam scale. (Nothing like paranoia!) I just dropped each charge through a funnel on the press individually, checked the charge visually, and then immediately seated and crimped the bullet.

After they were all completed, I checked each cartridge in my Lyman case checker, and then did a plunk test in one of my barrels. I then weighed each cartridge to confirm there were no squibs or double charges.

And finally, you can see some finished cartridges as I got down to the end...

I ended up using the Berry's plated 124 gr. 9mm bullets with 3.8 gr. of Titegroup with a CCI 500 SPP at an OAL of 1.150. Starting weight was 3.6 gr. and the max was 4.1, so I figured 3.8 gr. was a good place to start.

Next time I load, I will work up some different loads for testing, but for this first batch of 20, I just wanted to keep everything consistent and that meant all at the same load. Hopefully they will all go bang and cycle my pistol, otherwise I might be wishing I only made 5 instead of 20.

Honestly, I could not have done it without all of the help in this forum. I will pay it all forward, I promise. An extra thanks to 1911ly for patiently leading me through a few hiccups today over the phone. Thanks Bro!!! :rockwoot:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Woohoo! It's awesome when you touch off one of your very own rounds for the first time. I still get a lot of pride out of the rifle rounds I individually hand roll. Very satisfying.

I'm very happy for you.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Woohoo! It's awesome when you touch off one of your very own rounds for the first time. I still get a lot of pride out of the rifle rounds I individually hand roll. Very satisfying.

I'm very happy for you.

Now all you have left to do is hold the gun with your off hand, close your eyes, and pull the trigger! It is one heck of a good feeling when everything works as it should. The paranoia is a good thing and with that in mind you will be able to successfully load thousands of rounds.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Your formula is exactly what I use. You shouldn't have any problems, you seem very detailed. It's an awesome feeling when the first one goes bang. Good luck.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Congrats!! I agree that it's a cool feeling to run your first batch through the gun. After a few batches you'll wonder why you ever sweated reloading so much...

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Excellent! That load should work well. You have what appears to be a meticulous setup. It's okay to be paranoid (a little anyway) when reloading. It is what keeps you out of trouble. Congrats, I bet you can't wait to get out to the range.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I am using same load you made up but I am using 4.2 gr of TG. I think I started around 3.8 and didn't have any issues, but found my groups were better at 4.2. This was in a G19. Good luck and hopefully everything works for you.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Good job. I see you have the new lee drum powder measure, i started using those a few months ago and think they are great. Now i am not finding powder on my bench like i did with the older disc drops. Good luck with the bang!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Excellent! That bench is gonna pay for itself before you know it. Especially when you start doing rifle loads!! Glad I could help with some questions, yell anytime. You pretty well had it figured out anyway. Lets us know how they shoot.

I really love that setup, I didn't know you had that RCBS powder measure! It's on my list of wants!

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Congrats on your first reloads. Nothing wrong with being safe, even if it is very overly safe. Much better than the opposite. It is a very good feeling seeing your first finished product.

I didnt roll my eyes but I did think, holy crap that's a lot of work for pistol rounds.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Your bench is really nicely laid out.
    I'm jealous for the bench and (even more so) a place big enough and nice enough for it.
    There's nothing wrong with asking as many questions as possible before you turned out your first loads, and exercising caution is okay.
    I only wish that I had had the benefit of the Internet when I first got into this wonderful little hobby (1989), but I gobbled up every book I could that went into the subject at all, specifically a book edited by Jack Lewis called "The Modern Rifle."
    You've been bitten by the bug.
    There's no turning back from here, bro.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Looks GREAT...

You ARE going the right direction in learning this hobby. Early on, you can NOT be TOO careful!!

As you get a few K's "under your belt", we would like to see a Dillon RL550, or XL650 over where you have your vise.

My bench is set up like yours-Older model RCBS RockChucker on the right, and a Dillon RL550 on the left.
    I keep the center area kind of open for case trimming etc.

You ARE on your way....Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    With some things, like pretty much anything to do with guns, you CAN'T be too careful. You asked questions where you weren't sure and double-checked everything along the way. You'll still feel a little nervous shooting the first few rounds, but you'll gradually gain more confidence. We all get lots of 2nd chances to do certain things right, but with reloading you need to get it right the FIRST time...and that's what you've done. Be this meticulous until you learn where it pays to do so, and where you can streamline the process a bit, but always be this concerned about doing it correctly.

When you get to bottle-necked stuff, the process is a bit different, but if you have any questions, ask away and we'll help make sure you stay on the straight and narrow. :)

Jason

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I am using same load you made up but I am using 4.2 gr of TG. I think I started around 3.8 and didn't have any issues, but found my groups were better at 4.2. This was in a G19. Good luck and hopefully everything works for you.

I think I am running 4.0 gr. If I remember right at 3.8 I couldn't hit minor power factor?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom