• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've been using a Lyman 1200 tumbler and Lyman media for a couple years but just wasn't impressed with the results. Mostly the lack of cleaning the insides.
    There was a Black Friday Amazon sale on the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbling package so I bought it. Yesterday I ran a small load of .40. It looks fantastic! I did find that it's a bit more work than dry tumbling and requires a bit more planning to deal with the cleaning solution and separating the stainless pins. I didn't get the separator tumbler that fits over a 5 gallon bucket but it's on the list.
    Several have mentioned using Lemi-shine. I looked at Walmart and found several different varieties and wanted to know which I should be using. I'm open to any other tips on this new to me method.

Thanks, Matt

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    You got some before and after pictures? I thought about tumbling some casings to use in some of my wall art I've been doing.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have heard that a lot of people are starting to use Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax instead of Dawn liquid. It cleans just as well, and helps prevent spots and tarnishing later on.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I would be worried about the chemicals in the wash and wax, mainly the "wax" I guess.

Yeah, you might be right, but it seems to be pretty popular right now. I have never tried it, and in fact I have never wet tumbled a single round, so I am only repeating Internet gossip, so that take it with a grain of salt. I do have the FART (Franklin Arsenal Rotary Tumbler), so I do plan on trying some wet tumbling in the near future, and I also just ordered a bottle of the Armor All wash and wax (I think it was $4 on Amazon) to try out.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I would be worried about the chemicals in the wash and wax, mainly the "wax" I guess.

A very small amount of wax is not harmful, it helps ease case resizing. Won't hurt inside the case either, just smoke a little if anything (probably isn't enough to wax to make a difference). Wax of various kinds is often a component of lube for lead bullets. I'm looking forward to doing wet tumbling and will be trying both lemi-shine and the wash-n-wax in separate batches to see if there is any significant difference.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    A very small amount of wax is not harmful, it helps ease case resizing. Won't hurt inside the case either, just smoke a little if anything (probably isn't enough to wax to make a difference). Wax of various kinds is often a component of lube for lead bullets. I'm looking forward to doing wet tumbling and will be trying both lemi-shine and the wash-n-wax in separate batches to see if there is any significant difference.

Actually, you use the wash-n-wax instead of the Dawn soap, not instead of the LemiShine. You still need to use the Lemi Shine with the Armor All Wash-n-Wax.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've been using a Lyman 1200 tumbler and Lyman media for a couple years but just wasn't impressed with the results. Mostly the lack of cleaning the insides.
    There was a Black Friday Amazon sale on the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbling package so I bought it. Yesterday I ran a small load of .40. It looks fantastic! I did find that it's a bit more work than dry tumbling and requires a bit more planning to deal with the cleaning solution and separating the stainless pins. I didn't get the separator tumbler that fits over a 5 gallon bucket but it's on the list.
    Several have mentioned using Lemi-shine. I looked at Walmart and found several different varieties and wanted to know which I should be using. I'm open to any other tips on this new to me method.

Thanks, Matt

You'll want the Lemishine "Detergent booster" in the green and yellow plastic can. Buy a couple...works great in the dishwasher too, which is its intended purpose! Its basically a powder that contains citric acid, which helps chemically remove some tarnishing and discoloration from the brass in addition to the stainless pins.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/15724190...90_0&wl14=lemishine detergent booster&veh=sem

Usually a 40cal case worth per load is about the right amount based on my experience.

As far as separating, a trick I have found is to dump off as much of the water as you can before you try to separate brass and pins. Otherwise if you are using a rotary separator, you'll get a lot of foaming from the left over soap meaning a lot more rinsing before you set them up to dry.

A fine mesh colander over the kitchen or bathroom sink is a good way to make sure you don't lose any pins.

tdkahn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I didn't get the separator tumbler that fits over a 5 gallon bucket but it's on the list.

Thanks, Matt

For my separator (my wet tumbler is homemade) i cut a hole in the lid of a 5 gallon bucket so the cone part of a cheap kitchen colander drops through the hole, but the flange holds it in place. Then I place a 2'x2' square of scrap fabric over the colander and pour the pins, cases, and cleaning solution into the fabric. The bucket catches the dirty water and I can rinse the cases and pins easily before drying them.

Top Bottom