• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Some years ago I read an article in a magazine wherein the author was fond of loading a pair or trio of shot into a 44 mag casing and shooting at rabbits and other various fast furries. I'm unable, now owning a 44 mag, to locate that info or any other like it. Anyone know of any info on the topic?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I looked on line for you and found three general ways of doing it.

1) I saw they were using 00 buck and a CCI/Speer shot cap.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/788584/speer-empty-shot-capsules-44-caliber-box-of-25
    2) Another method was a gas check pressed into the case over the powder charge, buck shot stacked on top, then another gas check to keep everything in place.
    3) Using three small, light wad cutters stacked into the case on top of each other.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/a...92581-357-magnum-shotshells-copy-imgp0040.jpg

EVERYTHING I read indicated that the patterns were all over the place and nothing consistent enough to think about using on your "fast furries".

If this is something you try by all means please keep the rest of us informed as to how it goes and what loads you are using......(assuming you still have your fingers and eye sight) :dunno::popcorn:

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    thanks for looking and responding. I have read those articles and will give it a try. It probably won't work worth a darn, but it sure seems cool. I've spent at least as much money on "cool" as I have "practical" so there's no reason not give this one a go. I'll keep you up to speed as I go.

I hadn't previously looked into duplex loads. I'll do that momentarily

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    While not for .44 Mag, Remington did load .38 Special (two 000 pellets) and .357 Mag (two 000 pellets) following the same basic idea. I've never dissected a round, but it is on my to-do list (when I get around to it someday).

remingtonduplex.jpg

Edited to add: looks like someone sectioned a round, no much point in pulling one apart now.

_35720Multiball201.jpg

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    A duplex load is a mix of powders with different burn rates.

Yep, and generally not recommended (small "kicker" charges being the exception). Early wildcat .454 Casull loads used 3 powders stacked and compressed so they wouldn't move. I've got the published data somewhere, but it is no longer recommended and I wouldn't use it - I just have it for historical reasons.

"Multiball" is the correct term, but seldom gets used (probably just due to lack of education and lack of information generally). The only time I've seen the term "duplex" correctly used when not referring to powder charges is when discussing a layered mixed shot size load in a shotgun shell. Remington also factory loaded these for a while:

0002785_remington-premier-duplex-magnum-12-ga-2-34-1-12-oz-4x6-copper-plated-lead-mp12s46_550.jpeg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    CCI has for years been loading specific handgun and .22 LR rounds with #12 shot, but I can from experience that you won't be able to kill a starling with the .22 LR version past ten feet with them, even using a smooth-bore pump Remington shotgun.
    The shot is just too tiny.
    CCI has within the last year or so come out with a new product that uses #4 shot, which (while naturally having fewer pellets per cartridge) will work much better for larger critters and and a bit greater distance.

CCI Ammunition - Product Detail

My opinion is that 00 or even #4 buck sizes are a bit too big for rabbit and would rip them up pretty badly, which wouldn't be a problem for anything you didn't intend to eat, but I'm assuming you want to at least eat the bunnies.
    If you don't want them, give them to me, though!

Last edited:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Taurus Judge- 45 colt/410 would be an alternate choice if looking to go after small game and still be able to take big game. Cost is around $450. Save the 44 mag for big game.

TBone3006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    If you want to load shotgun shot (shot sizes 9 thru 4) the guys over on Castboolits have a ton of info and load data available. I loaded up some with 6 shot, pretty impressive at 15 feet but after that the pattern starts to scatter pretty quick.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    The judge, although likely better suited for the taking of small game with shot, is not something that catches my fancy. My purpose is to use my 44 in more ways

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    You could always buy another gun to fit your needs. A 28 gauge revolver.

28-Gauge-Revolver-on-the-Taurus-Catalog-Cover.jpg

I remember when that debuted at SHOT Show. Sad legal situation kept it from the market. I would throw some decent money at that 28 gauge if it were available. Of course, I would also have to set up for reloading 28ga so I could affordably shoot the thing (plus make buckshot and slug loads which are not commonly available).

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    EVERYTHING I read indicated that the patterns were all over the place and nothing consistent enough to think about using on your "fast furries".

If this is something you try by all means please keep the rest of us informed as to how it goes and what loads you are using......(assuming you still have your fingers and eye sight) :dunno::popcorn:

Any shot fired out of a rifled barrel will spread out to fast to keep a good pattern..

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I've had fairly good success loading shot loads for my .45 Colt. I use an 1/4" thick, .45 caliber over powder wad followed by 8 shot and topped with a hand punched, card board over shot card, punched from empty primer boxes. I seal the overshot card with fingernail polish. This holds the card in and also seals them against moisture.
    At 12 yards, they'll put an average of 20-25 pellets in an 8" circle from my 5.5" New Vaquero.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have loaded shot and ball cartridges before. You push a card was or a gas check down and then load small shot on top of that. You can cap it with either another overshot wad or gas check or a lead round all or even a light for caliber bullet, just with the total projectile weight and account for less case capacity when working up your load. With .44 magnum, you can use .444 Marlin cases but you'll have to size down the forward section of the case and will probably have to trim to fit the cylinder. I'm not a .44 guy but I used .30/40 Krag and .303 Brit cases to do the same thing. I also loaded up some cut down .308 cases for a .45 acp cylinder. You can read about it here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/409119-45-acp-shotshells.html

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have used 444 Marlin cases as 410 hulls. Shot them exclusively when I shot register skeet. They work like a charm like this too. I learned it from another skeet shooter. I saw what he was putting in his shotgun and asked where I could get brass hulls (I have those too now) and he told me he uses 44 Marlin cases and an overcard with a roll crimp. Still load them up like this now too. Lots cheaper than 410 hulls too...or at least they were...

A 28 ga Judge may well get me to buy one after never thinking much of them. That would be a lot better and it might even be fun to see if I could shoot some skeet with it.

For loading shotshell for a revolver I used to buy little plastic capsules and put shot in them then put the on the cases.

Top Bottom