Anyone run H110 through their Dillon 550?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I just started reloading for 357mag and I'm using H110 powder, and a Dillon 550 reloader. The H110 is metering pretty consistent BUT, it goes EVERYWHERE! After 150-200 rounds I have to disassemble the machine and clean it because the slide for the primers gets gummed up and won't travel freely. The only other handgun powders I've used are Power Pistol and Blue Dot, they may have a few flakes of powder on the bench after a long run but nothing like this.
    Also this powder dispenser is new, this is the only powder that has ever been in it.
    Is there something going on with my charge bar, or is this typical of this powder? Or something else?

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not sure about Dillon, but my Lee like super fine graphite on it's wiper and barrel surfaces. I had the same problem with H110 and WST going everywhere while loading and that seemed to fix the problem. I will usually pour 1/4 inch into the hopper and cycle it thru til it's empty.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Just finished a run of .357 & W296 (H110)
    No problems at all, but this is an older measure. Finally put a 9mm head on the 550 this summer, and yeah....seems to leak a bit. Not terrible, but after 4-500 rounds of 9mm w/ HS6 there's a few grains of powder on the bench. More than I'm used to seeing for sure.

Don't think it's the measure itself....guessing it's the clearance between the powder funnel, and the powder die.......but I haven't taken anything apart to check yet.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've never used any of the powders you guys have listed, but the ones I've used never leak on either of the 550's we've got.
    We use a lot of titegroup, 700x, red & blue dot, and unique to name a few

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The 550 powder system must be quite a bit different from my good old RCBS Uniflow, which has no such problem with spilling, and the powder meters very easily and consistently.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The 550 powder system must be quite a bit different from my good old RCBS Uniflow, which has no such problem with spilling, and the powder meters very easily and consistently.

Since the Uniflow rotates, and the Dillon slides, yeah quite a bit different. Make sure you have everything tight. I know the older units we have, have a plastic bushing up around the powder funnel. Make sure its clean

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Guess I'll take it apart. Was just wanting to see if anyone had seen this before. Something definitely is not right. I'll try running some graphite through it also.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Guess I'll take it apart. Was just wanting to see if anyone had seen this before. Something definitely is not right. I'll try running some graphite through it also.

It's a well known issue with the Dillon measure using H110 or other very fine powders the fix is to switch over to the larger one piece powder bar, before you change it out dial the adjuster closed all the way and lay the bar on a flat smooth surface and pour a pre weighed charge of powder into the charge area of the one piece bar.

You want to see it exceed the volume of that space closed all the way to make sure it's going to work for whatever your loading, you can adjust it to handle considerably more but if your pre weighed charge fills it with room to spare it won't work for that particular load.

This works for almost everything I can think of aside from maybe .25acp, .380 or 38 S&W loads.

Last edited:

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I used to load 300BLK with 15.5gr H110 when Lil'Gun was impossible to get.

Never recall any trouble.

How old is your powder measure? I know Dillon changed the design in the mid 90's or so, 2-piece arm vs. old 1 piece with spring.

20782_dillon_powder_measure.jpg

IMG_20120825_185336.jpg

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Over thinking this a little??

Powder measure design, and slider bar really have nothing to do with the powder "Leaks" down into the press..

Think about it--The ONLY way that powder is not going into the case is from wear/clearance between the powder funnel and the powder die. If powder was leaking between the measure and slider bar, you would have a powder "mess" with most all powders.
    FWIW: My old measures (Springs ONLY-No fail-safe rod) being case actuated only has worked fine for a lot of years.

If you have leakage down into the turret assembly the powder is leaking between these two surfaces.

With the powder die being chrome plated, I would think that most of this wear would be on the funnel, not the die.

Check your funnel for wear, and if needed order a new funnel for the caliber of choice..Bill.

Last edited:

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Everything except the press is brand new, tool head, dies, powder Hopper, powder funnel and charge bar.
    I will put the large charge bar in and see if that helps.
    Thanks for the help, I will update on the outcome.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I switched to the large charge bar... all the difference in the world. No more powder leaks.
    Thanks Trophyhunter
    You're welcome, but don't go over thinking it lol! :popcorn:

One more thing you can do to really dial that measure in for H110 and other fine powders is to pull the two lower fasteners out of the clear cylinder that holds the powder and get it out of your way so you can polish the interior metal base at the bottom of the measure.

I use a V shaped polishing attachment for a dremel and medium green metal polishing compound, have at it until that dull matte finish cleans up and shines and put it back together you'll be amazed how consistent it throws H110 or anything else you run through it now.

Top Bottom