• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jzdank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2015
    Chesterton
    Recently finished a 300 blackout build. I bought a thousand rounds of magtech''s 300 blackout, and I'm all over the place at 100 yards. Scope and rings are tight, I'm not aware of any other issues, but that magtech is all I shot through it. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the ammo. It cycled fine, and I had other stuff to do at the range that day, so I didn't have time to dive in any further.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It's a Nikon scope, can't remember the model but it's one of the models made for 300 blackout, with rings I pulled from a previous set up.

My guess would be thats your issue. The P series Nikon is among the worst they make, and unknown quality rings would be another red flag.

No matter what your looking at a game of trial and error. The cheapest thing to try will be ammo, so buy some diffrent ammo to try first. The most likley culprit is optics, so I would try that next.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    What do you mean by "all over the place"? That might mean 1 1/2" to some people, or 24" to someone else. Is your barrel torqued properly?

jzdank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2015
    Chesterton
    6-8" variance per shot, with no consistent pattern of high low, left, right.

The AR platform is not my strongest suit, which is why I'm trying to become more proficient with it. The above suggestions were exactly what I'm looking for. Barrel torque could be an issue, since I had pieces cerakotd. Dropped off the gun in pieces, picked it up assembled. I took it for granted that it was done properly. I'm going to check the barrel, pick up some different ammo, and I have a other optics laying around I can check with as well. Thanks for all the input already.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My guess would be thats your issue. The P series Nikon is among the worst they make, and unknown quality rings would be another red flag.

No matter what your looking at a game of trial and error. The cheapest thing to try will be ammo, so buy some diffrent ammo to try first. The most likley culprit is optics, so I would try that next.

I'm in agreement with this. Try a box or two of other ammo and see if things change.
    The Nikons I've owned and tried have been less than stellar.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I went round and round with a couple AR rifles. One had a bogus barrel and was returned on their dime for barrel replacement. Shoots great now.

Rifle number two was also returned to the factory for evaluation. I don't have money for all kinds of ammo or time to shoot it all. Turns out it prefers match ammo. I hand load for it now and it is wonderful.

Went round and round with both guns changing optics, ammo, shooters. It can be frustrating at times although is part of the fun.

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    Definiitely a lot of things worth checking out. I have a BO barrel that won't shoot Remington 220 gr Subs better then 2.5 inches on a good day. I drop down to Gemtec 187 gr subs and I'm sub MOA. I have been using a number of Nikon's
    P-300 scope's for over 4 years now with zero issues. If you have another optic you can swap out might be worth it just to start ruling things out. Nikon stands behind what they make and if there is an issue with your scope they will make it right.

P-300BLK4_1.jpg

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Try some different ammo. That's the easiest test. If you find your rig doesn't like the Magtech just sell/trade it.

Some barrels are finicky about certain factory loads. Its a great reason to consider getting into reloading for 300BO.

Assuming everything is tight and your barrel is torqued properly you should be good. No reason to ditch your Nikon. Anyways you could always swap the optic out with another as a test.

YMMV. :ingo:

Top Bottom