• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Hornady makes a good one. They only list for their bullets though. But those are about the only bullets I buy. Don't know if you cast, if so, check out the Lyman cast manual, excellent information.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't forget the Hodgdon.com loading website. They are reliable for shot shells and centerfire cartridges. I have reloading books that are old enough that all the pictures are black and white, (and Alliant powder company was called Hercules) as well as the seriously pricey and more recent Sierra Loading manuals, and seldom ever use them anymore. It seems in the last 3 years there are more new powders on the market than the 30 years before that. Load data information is being updated pretty fast these days.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Hogdon site is same as IMR site I mentioned in initial post. I use Hornady book a lot because I have tons of Hornady projectiles.
    I was looking at my Hornady book earlier today and wondered why nearly every bullet they had a load for IMR 4064 except the 168g HPBT which is what I'm loading.
    The Hogdon site only lists two loads for 168g and they're both Sierra bullets but they are quite a bit different and not much good for a Hornady projectile.

Matt

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Are you looking for reloading data, or how to improve your reloading skills?

You've already got some great suggestions above for reloading data. When it comes to reloading knowledge, I love these two books:

The ABCs of Reloading - James
    Handloading for Competition - Zediker

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Lyman and Hornady are both pretty good.
    What flavor bullet do you shoot the most of?
    If it's something other than Hornady, you might think about their manual.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In the skills vein, Sinclair put out a couple that I think are indespinsable.

I agree with Leo. It's hard to buy manuals right now with all the changes, unless of course you don't experiment with the new stuff. But I have had some excellent results with 8208 XBR, which isn't in my Sierra manual. If you don't want to use the Internet, Hisgdon puts out a magazine once in a while that has a lot of load data. Alliant does the same thing.

I like to compare and contrast loads given by powder companies and bullet companies. I've never had Nosler, but I like both Hornady and Sierra. Most of my powders are Hodgdon, so I'll refer to their site or magazine.

Last edited:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    On rifle stuff I mostly shoot Hornady 168g HPBT in .308 and 55g FMJBT in my .223s. I do have 10 or so boxes of heavy SMKs for both calibers but haven't got into those yet. I'm cutting my teeth so to say on these bulk projectiles.

Matt

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Check out load books USA. Cabelas sells them for about $6.99. You can choose specific calibers and has data on different bullets types, powder types and manufacturers. They basically copy and paste segments out of different reloading books for a handy one caliber reloading source. I have them for the calibers I reload.

check out cabelas site: Loadbooks USA Caliber/Gauge Specific Reloading Manuals : Cabela's

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Check out load books USA. Cabelas sells them for about $6.99. You can choose specific calibers and has data on different bullets types, powder types and manufacturers. They basically copy and paste segments out of different reloading books for a handy one caliber reloading source. I have them for the calibers I reload.

check out cabelas site: Loadbooks USA Caliber/Gauge Specific Reloading Manuals : Cabela's

This is the way I went. It is older data though. Cross reference it with on-line data and load away.

I sold my books off. Most books are 98 percent useless to me. Calibers I will never load for.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    On rifle stuff I mostly shoot Hornady 168g HPBT in .308 and 55g FMJBT in my .223s. I do have 10 or so boxes of heavy SMKs for both calibers but haven't got into those yet. I'm cutting my teeth so to say on these bulk projectiles.

Matt
    My AR prefers the Sierra 69 SMK over the Hornady 68 HPBT, and when I settled a a load, it was within a couple tenths of Sierra's "Accuracy Load"
    YMMV of course, but if you're gonna play with Sierra's, getting their manual wouldn't be a bad idea

stern1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    Anderson
    How about some reloading videos on how to properly set up your dies. I have the reloading manuals, Lyman, Nosler and Hornaday. Only loading for 1 bolt action gun in 308. Trying to figure out if I need to run it through a full length die or just a neck resizing die. It seems about 50/50 obn that,
    Thanks
    Rob

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    How about some reloading videos on how to properly set up your dies. I have the reloading manuals, Lyman, Nosler and Hornaday. Only loading for 1 bolt action gun in 308. Trying to figure out if I need to run it through a full length die or just a neck resizing die. It seems about 50/50 obn that,
    Thanks
    Rob

At the risk of going OT (sorry) If you are shooting bolt gun by all means buy a neck sizing die! Your brass life will increase dramatically. I full length size about every fifth reload. I have 300wm brass that have been reloaded 7 times and counting. 3 is usually the normal before the brass fails. It can improve your accuracy a little too. I neck size .223, 22-250, 308, 30-06 300wm and soon the 8mm mauser. The dies pay for themselves pretty quick if you shoot often.

Sorry for the derail. Carry on!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have the Lyman 49th and an older edition (can't remember which offhand), two editions of the Hornady, the Speer #11, a Nosler, and a Sierra.
    The Lyman is almost certainly the popular favorite because of the wide variety of bullets for many listed loads.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I try to have the book for the bullet manufacturer I am loading, which lately is mostly Hornady. I also recommend Sierra, Speer and Nosler. If you like to use Vihtavouri or Norma powders their manuals would be very helpful as well. I like to cross reference manuals on loads because sometimes there significant differences.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I had forgotten about the load books at Cabelas. I saw them back when they first opened. Almost bought them then but had already spent too much that day. Meant to pick them up on a future trip but completely forgot about them.
    My stepson has been hounding me for Christmas gift ideas. I just texted him the five calibers I reload and the link to the books.

Thanks, Matt

Top Bottom