• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had the opportunity to spend some time at the firing range today. I planned to test a newly acquired S&W 640-1 and to spend some time with my Uberti SA Colt Cattleman, since both are .38SPL/.357mag caliber. I planned on finishing up with a couple hundred rounds of .22LR with my S&W M&P .22LR.

I put 100 rounds of .38SPL PMC Bronze FMJ 132gr. FMJ through the 640-1 and ten rounds of Ruag 153gr. JHP through the 640-1. The unit was flawless, but those ten rounds of .357 reminded me why I prefer the .38SPL for practice!

I then put fifty rounds of the PMC through the Uberti and then fired six rounds of the Ruag. Two of the .357 rounds jammed in their chambers. When I finally forced them out I found both had split sides. This was supposed to be new factory ammo, not reloads; but I have not seen this brand anywhere since I bought it. After clearing the weapon, inspection of the chambers and the remaining ammo I fired twelve more rounds without problem.

Anyone have any experience with this brand? I still have 75 more rounds of it waiting for my next range trip. Would you have any hesitation firing it?

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I wouldn't hesitate to fire them at least out of the Uberti. See if you notice any difference in how hot they feel when fired. I don't think i would shoot them out of my Coonan or a light weight revolver.
    About a month ago I was shooting a box of Winchester white box 357 and had a case split in two. The top half of the case was stuck in the cylinder.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't hesitate to fire them at least out of the Uberti. See if you notice any difference in how hot they feel when fired. I don't think i would shoot them out of my Coonan or a light weight revolver.
    About a month ago I was shooting a box of Winchester white box 357 and had a case split in two. The top half of the case was stuck in the cylinder.

Both Uberti and the S&W handled the .357mag well. I did put a dozen more rounds thought he Uberti after finding the split cases, without problem. I am thinking I will use the remaining rounds in my Marlin 1894. The Uberti handles the recoil well, but not as good as the Marlin. I do not plan to fire any more .357mag through the S&W unless forced to pull it while carrying it as a BUG. It is painful to shoot the magnums in the J-frame, so only .38SPL at the range for it.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I know all about the magnums in the J-frame. I have a Smith 360 that weighs 12 oz empty.
    How hard would it be to extract a case from the marlin of a case did split? Just something to think about.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know all about the magnums in the J-frame. I have a Smith 360 that weighs 12 oz empty.
    How hard would it be to extract a case from the marlin of a case did split? Just something to think about.

Good point. It would require a very long ramrod. Might be better to just trust the Uberti, or to ask RWS for replacements.

Top Bottom