• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Is anyone running 9x25 Dillon? I'm deciding on a new pistol build and this caliber is an option. Think 357 sig with 10mm as the parent case. Much more case capacity. Anyone have first hand knowledge or experience with this one?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I knew a few guys running them several years ago in USPSA open class.
    The cartridge didn't hang around long mainly because of reduced magazine capacity vs 38/9.
    Those that shot the cartridge in open guns with comps said it shot extremely flat(very little muzzle rise).
    Guns were very very very LOUD.
    Expensive brass also.
    Never owned one or shot one but remember when they were the new hottest. (20+ years ago)
    Damn I'm getting old.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The cartridge didn't hang around long mainly because of reduced magazine capacity vs 38/9.
    Those that shot the cartridge in open guns with comps said it shot extremely flat(very little muzzle rise).
    Expensive brass also.
    Never owned one or shot one but remember when they were the new hottest. (20+ years ago)
    Damn I'm getting old.

Yea, never even seen one in person. Once major PF away dropped to 165 there was definitely no need. .38 super or one of the varients (super comp) is the ticket. (Some like 9-major). More rounds in the mag beats more powder in the case...

speaking from a competition perspective because, well, that's why the round was invented...

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is anyone running 9x25 Dillon? I'm deciding on a new pistol build and this caliber is an option. Think 357 sig with 10mm as the parent case. Much more case capacity. Anyone have first hand knowledge or experience with this one?

Expensive brass also.
    Damn I'm getting old.

Yea, never even seen one in person. Once major PF away dropped to 165 there was definitely no need. .38 super or one of the varients (super comp) is the ticket. (Some like 9-major). More rounds in the mag beats more powder in the case...

speaking from a competition perspective because, well, that's why the round was invented...

-rvb

Like Bosshoss, back in the 90s I knew some USPSA shooters who shot open guns in 9x25mm Dillon. Some of them (especially the hybrid comped guns) would actually have muzzle dip rather than muzzle rise because there were so much gas pushing it down. Unless you use a compensator, it may not be very pleasant to shoot! Given the rules now (lower PF for major as rvb mentioned), there is not much utility in 9x25 for USPSA/IPSC. You don't gain anything in shootability and you loose magazine capacity over 9mm, 9x21, .38 super, .38 super comp, 9x23, etc. etc.

Unless you want to really hotrod 9mm bullets (like past what you can do with .357 magnum), I'm not sure there is much point in it other than cool factor. For hunting or personal defense, I think the 10mm would be a better choice.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Remember talking to guy about 9x25dilion is 9 mm bullet necked down in a 10mm case. Much hotter than 357 Sig. When I'm shooting my 357Sig it really throws the brass a long way. The 9x25 did the same thing throwing the spent cases 10 to 15 feet or better. Making it a pain to track down every brass and that no plated bullets can be used.

The plus side to the Sig round is there's surplus brass out there from Precision Delta and there are makers of 357 Sig bullets, .355 dia with much heavier jackets.

Top Bottom