• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    I am about ready to expand the shooting hobby into the wonderful world of reloading. After talking with Don and Marcel (FNS) and listening to some of the bowling pin competitors, my interest has grown.
    I’m a member of MCF& G so loading HP rifle ammunition is not a consideration since we’re limited to pistol calibers. Don’t see where I’ll embrace .375 SIG either, only calibers I shoot are .380, 9MM, .38-.357MAG and .45 auto.
    I have no experience in loading modern ammunition but have attention to detail and a very process oriented, so I don’t fear doing it as much. I’ve read the Lyman reloading manual and researched equipment and have limited choices to either a Dillon RL550B or Square Deal B. I’m aware of the limitations of the SDB, straight wall shells only and proprietary dies. I have a digital powder scale, tumbler, calipers and other items used in black powder shooting. It looks like the SDB is a good starting point for an inexperienced loader. If I get to a point where loading necked cartridges (which I doubt will happen) upgrading to the 550 or 650 would not be a problem. I like the short stroke of the SDB and compact design. The plan would be to order the necessary toolheads and dies for .38/.357, .380 and 9mm with the original purchase.
    So, looking for opinions from anyone that started out with a similar reloading plan and regrets, problems associated with the SDB that made it a PITA to use or switch calibers.
    I appreciate the input and Merry Christmas and Happy 2017!

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I reloaded 357 mag with the SDB for many years. I was always satisfied with the SDB. Few, if any problems. My only problem, which you state will not e problem for you, is I wanted to reload rifle cartridges. Since you listed the disadvantages, mainly the proprietary dies, the SDB will work fine for you. Good luck with your endeavor.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    550B because someday you WILL want to load rifle, and you can't on the SDB.
    and you'll have to buy all new dies, tool heads, etc to upgrade from the SDB.

550 is a rock star press if you don't need high throughput of a 650/1050. And you can upgrade from a 550 with just tool heads. I have like 150k rounds through mine.

-rvb

Last edited:

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I would go with the 550B as it is only $50 extra. If you ever decided that reloading was not for you, I personally think that it would be easier to sell a 550B compared to the SDB. I started with one and have not had a single problem in over 2 years. I only load .40 and .45 so I'm not too familiar with your listed calibers, but I'm sure you will not have a problem. As far as 9mm goes, it will take quite some time to get your moneys worth. With factory ammo being cheap right now, it is hard for me to justify loading for it.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Another vote for the Dillon RL550

Go for the 550..You can use ANY 7/8"X14 dies, the die blocks are a good price, and you can load most all calibers out there.

If nothing else, with the longer handle on the 550, you have more leverage on all your loads-Rifle or Pistol..Bill.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I have a 550 now and used to have a SQD. Personally I like the 550 better because it does not auto index. I don't get in a big hurry when I load and I like the control manual indexing gives me. I can run one round at a time or I can use it as a single stage.
    Nothing wrong with the SQD and either press will serve you well.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I went from a single stage to the Dillon 650 and I love it, a lot of videos on YouTube to help in set up and loading , lots of fun I might say

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Absolutely no question. Get the Dillon 550B!!! It is one of the most versatile machines out there and it uses standard dies of your choice. What's not to like?

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    CCI 500 pistol primers, 3.2g Titegroup, 158 cast SWC in once fired Winchester cases. I will fire them in my GP100 Match Champion and SP101 .357. I carefully made 50 rounds, check, double check, triple check. If I can shoot FNS I'll certainly need all the rounds I can have, G17!

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Dillon without a doubt. I have the 550B and have loaded THOUSANDS of rounds of ammunition. It is easy to use, makes very accurate ammunition for a progressive press, and the Dillon guarantee is second to none.

Andy Cree

Top Bottom