• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    About a year ago, I got into reloading from the 32 Win Special Winchester 1894 I had. In fear of going down the rabbit hole, and since I shoot mostly factory ammo, I decided to get a tong tool and all the dies for 32 Special. As most of you know, the Lyman tong tool only neck-sizes.

This was fine since I only had one rifle chambered for 32 Special. I could load 40 rounds in an hour and have fun pretending I was out in front of the campfire getting ready to shoot more buffalo the next day. ;)

Now I have 5 rifles (Marlin and Winchester) and not all of them chamber a reloaded round when they are only neck sized. I am looking for a cheap and easy way to full-length size and stay with the setup I currently have for all the other operations.

What is the best way to complete the full-length sizing operation only?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It probably wouldn't be too difficult to full length size .32 Special in a Lee hand press if you have normal hand/arm strength.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    OK, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I had to buy the Lee tool.

I probably should get a case trimmer while I am at it...

Uh Oh, rabbit hole in sight!!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    OK, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I had to buy the Lee tool.

I probably should get a case trimmer while I am at it...

Uh Oh, rabbit hole in sight!!!

Reloading tool needs never seem to end. :):

I agree, the Lee hand loader and a set of dies should work great for what you want to do.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The thought of full length sizing rifle brass in a Lee hand sizer does not sound fun, clumsy at best.
    Plus you might have to search around to find one in stock somewhere.
    I do believe that Lee discontinued that press.
    For about the same money or alittle less you can buy a Lee C press and easily resize your brass. And if you want to trim on the cheap, order a Lee trimmer and cutter and spend the extra cash and get the wooden ball model.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The thought of full length sizing rifle brass in a Lee hand sizer does not sound fun, clumsy at best.
    For about the same money or alittle less you can buy a Lee C press and easily resize your brass. And if you want to trim on the cheap, order a Lee trimmer and cutter and spend the extra cash and get the wooden ball model.

They are easy to find. Just look on Ebay.

90685 Lee Breech Lock Hand Press | eBay

There are plenty of Youtube videos of guys loading rifle cartridges. Easy, maybe not, but doable.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I know that.

I don't see where he is looking to load out in the field though. I see where he said it's fun to pretend he was around a campfire loading with his tong tool. But where he specifically said he is looking to load out in the field.

Maybe I interpreted it wrong. :dunno: Dunno...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If full length sizing is the order of the day, it's best not to fumble with hand tools and just go ahead and get an inexpensive single stage press.
    You can just stick with that or upgrade to something a bit more efficient in the future should your need for more ammo produced more quickly eventuate.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Straight wall or tapered rifle cases are not bad at all in a hand press. Large bottle necked rifle cases require significantly more effort but are doable.

If full length sizing is the order of the day, it's best not to fumble with hand tools and just go ahead and get an inexpensive single stage press.
    You can just stick with that or upgrade to something a bit more efficient in the future should your need for more ammo produced more quickly eventuate.

I disagree since the Lee and hand press is probably my most used and useful reloading tool. While it shouldn't replace a bench mounted press for sizing bottle neck rifle cases, it is handy for sizing all handgun and many rifle cases and especially for depriming before tumbling cases. Getting the hand press upped my productivity significantly since I frequently use it to prepare cases while watching tv or doing other things that require me to be out of my reloading room most of the time. I also use it almost exclusively for load development, then switch over to my progressive for serious production once I have settled on a load.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    What about keeping brass separate for each rifle? I've not done it, but plan to as I reload more for my Mosins. Just a thought and something I've been thinking of doing in the future.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    A press that does not get much "press", and one that I have and really like using, is the RCBS "Summit Single Stage Press". It isn't the cheaper route, but it is definitely a portable route if that is needed. The press can get mounted to just about anything and clamped where ever it is needed. It is also very stout and can resize just about anything with ease.

Andy Cree

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Want to go on the cheap? Buy a Lee Pacesetter 2 die set, remove the primer punch and use it like a Lee Loader with a mallet, use a rod to remove the case, remember to lube the case, very important.

Then if in the future if you do buy a press you already have the dies anyway.

I reload for both 30/30 and 32 Win. Spec., and usually get 3 to 5 reloads by neck sizing only the need to full length size. Be sure to always check overall case length.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone having 5 different rifles in 32 Special! :D

Since I wouldn't want to keep 5 different lots of 32 Special brass separated, I think I'd just get with the program and buy a real press, instead of a hand tool. It's the 21st century, even if the cartridge is from the 19th. I'm all for neck-sizing, but when the time comes to bump the shoulder back (and it WILL come) you need a strong press with a lot of mechanical leverage.

@ the OP: What is your resistance to buying a RockChucker or other quality single-stage?

Top Bottom