• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Check out these two cartridges. While inspecting after reloading, I noticed these two cartridges had a faint ring at the web/case wall junction. Do these look like incipient case failure to you, or are they OK?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Different thickness of brass ?????

Seconded
    As a suggestion, the best way to check cases for incipient case head separation is accomplished by taking a paperclip and bending the tip, about 1/8" from the end, into a right angle, then running the wire down the case mouth until you reach the bottom, then moving the tip of the right angle against the inside of the case wall, then slowly and gently pulling upward to feel for the tip of the right angled paper clip to catch on the groove that will have formed inside the case wall near the head.
    As long as the paperclip doesn't catch on anything on the way out, your brass is still okay, at least assuming that there are no outwardly visble (cracked case mouth, etc.) signs that would indicate imminent failure.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    FWIW - I have never personally seen a case head separation, or even a sign one might soon happen, on semi-auto pistol brass. I have seen it with both 357 and 44 magnum revolver brass, and it's a lot more pronounced than what is seen above. The paper clip test is a great way to check, if you're concerned.

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    Also depends on the chamber of the gun in which it was fired. Early glocks, gen 1 and 2, do this more than others because the nature of the feed ramp diminishes the support for the chamber. You end up with the glock bulge. But, as others have said, your brass looks perfectly normal.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks for the advice guys. In this case, I did not see the ring until I had made the cases, which means I either did not notice it on earlier inspections or it happened during the sizing process, which gives weight to the sizing die source of the problem.

I have heard about the bent paperclip trick before, but totally forgot about that, thanks for the tip.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    This ringing can be reduced by using brass with the same headstamp, fired in only one barrel, cleaning it well, keeping the sizing die interior clean, and using the correct amount of case lube if NOT using a carbide sizer. Change any of these parameters and you likely will notice the difference between the sized and unsized areas. Generally not enough of an issue to bother with trying to change it.

Top Bottom