• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I'm sure this has been addressed hundreds of times, but I have a question regarding reloading 45 ACP. I recently picked up a 45 for Christmas, along with a box of American Eagle 230 grain bullets. Upon review, I noticed they bullets have large pistol primers...I know some other 45 ammo brands do not. Why are there differences, and, as a re-loader, what advantage does one have over the other, if any? :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Traditional .45 is LPP brass. A few brands, Blazer comes to mind, use SPP. I don't know that there's any performance difference with one over the other. If it's the only caliber you load that takes LPP, I can see using the SPP brass for logistics.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    There is no performance difference. Besides size of primer they load and shoot the same. It is a real pain for the hand loader. I personally cull any small primer brass and scrap them.

Something to keep in mind when purchasing factory ammo to load back up in the future.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Cost saving for ammo producer can be the only reason. A 1/2 cent multiplied by a million is quite a bit of money.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I seem to remember FortuneCookie45LC doing some testing on it.

[video=youtube;przdtL2WKr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=przdtL2WKr0[/video]
    [video=youtube;DouAFTGmoAA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouAFTGmoAA[/video]

I don't mind the SPP 45 brass. For me it makes logistics easier. Right now the only LPP I would reload for would be the 45. The SPP version of it lets me stick with one size primer. I'm not worried about any differences since it's mostly a practice load anyway. I've got all my standard 45 LPP brass cleaned, ready to load and put away.

For all those that cull their 45 SPP brass I'll be happy to buy it from you.

Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to get only LPP brass. I only load SPP ammo now, but I'll pick up a few LPP's when I purchase the 45 die set. I thought it might have to do with igniting a larger amount of powder, but I guess not. Thanks!

Top Bottom