• ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Hello,
    I intend to do precision shooting with 223 and 300 wm and also want to reload those and 50 Beo. I am hoping for equipment recommendations for this endeavor. I am a reloading newb. Thank you.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am a total newbie as well, but from what I have read and learned, a high-end single-stage press like the Forster Co-Ax is a prime choice for precision loading. Redding precision dies also seem to be popular with the precision loading crew.

You will need a good scale, a great set of calipers, and then if you really want to complicate things, consider a Gracey neck turner and a Giraud case trimmer. How about a concentricy gauge? How about a Primal Rights CPS priming system? The list goes on and on...

I mention all of this as WAY OVERKILL, especially for a newbie. These are some of the tools of the top precision reloaders, and are WAY above anything that will make financial or technical sense for you when you are just starting out.

I would suggest instead that you start small and work your way up to precision loading slowly. It is an art and takes time (and a crap ton of money) to develop.

Now that we are closer down to earth, you should spend some time reading. Basic reloading information can be found in "The ABC's of Reloading" by James, and if you want more on precision reloading, you might want to consider "Handloading for Competition - Making the Target Smaller" by Glen Zediker. Lots of info there, but his writing style is "awkward" to pick a word to describe it.

Single-stage presses seem to have more favor for precision loaders, so if you don't want to spring for the Forester Co-Ax mentioned above, consider an RCBS Rockchucker. It is a great little press, and will get you very far down the road towards precision reloading. I still say for precision work, consider the Redding dies however... "Buy once, cry once" as they say.

Take your time, and go one small step at a time, and you will be well on your way. Study, study, study and learn as much as you can about the craft. Find someone to teach you if you can.

Precision reloading is a lot more than throwing money at expensive equipment, so be prepared to fall a bit short at first. But even with some fairly modest tools, you should be able to create some sub-MOA ammo with some practice. That is of course assuming you have a sub-MOA rifle and can shoot it well!!!

Good luck with your journey!!!

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Definitely get a Sinclair catalog. SINCLAIR CATALOG | Sinclair Intl I would also recommend their book on "Precision Reloading and Shooting Handbook". It gives you a ground-up look at what it takes to get into precision shooting and loading. It will also give you an idea if you want to pursue the more stringent benchrest practices, or if you want to be a generally good ammunition loader and produce more quantity. Liek everything firearms related, it can be taken to the extreme. The above book does give a good insight to the extreme practices which will give you a better idea of defining what your goals might be.

Andy Cree

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Definitely get a Sinclair catalog. SINCLAIR CATALOG | Sinclair Intl I would also recommend their book on "Precision Reloading and Shooting Handbook". It gives you a ground-up look at what it takes to get into precision shooting and loading. It will also give you an idea if you want to pursue the more stringent benchrest practices, or if you want to be a generally good ammunition loader and produce more quantity. Liek everything firearms related, it can be taken to the extreme. The above book does give a good insight to the extreme practices which will give you a better idea of defining what your goals might be.

Andy Cree

+1000

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Before you toss a bunch of money into reloading equipment you should make sure your guns can shoot groups and that your optics are good enough. Loading your own ammo is fun and rewarding but your optics and the gun's capability to shoot consistently plays a higher roll in tight groups. Loading your own will help fine-tune those groups once you find the recipe that works best. You will also find that some actions tend to be better for accuracy than others. Bolt action is almost always better than semi-auto. If you are more interested in just hitting a target with a lot of ammo and a reasonable amount of accuracy, you might get more bang for the buck putting your money into a progressive setup like a Dillon. I have a single stage RCBS for my tack driving 22-250 but for everything else I use my Dillon 650.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    It is not so much about the equipment as it is about the procedures and components used. A Rockcucker, a good set of dies, and a good scale are all that is needed to beat most factory ammo.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use a Lee hand press, Lee dies, and a Harrel's powder measure. I frequently load my 1,000 yard match ammo off the back of my Suburban the morning of the match. If my ammo got loaded more than a day or two before use, it is always loaded .020 to .030 long using a Lee single stage press at home. The morning of use, it is seated to final depth with the hand press. There is almost always a moment of resistance, then a little pop as the bullet breaks free and moves in.

I shoot long range in the Master class with a .308 Palma gun.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

Andy Cree

+2000 Here too.

You will find that Sinclair and Redding are at the TOP in regards to quality load tools..They DO cost much more than the Three Letter Red Die Company, but to ME are WORTH it...Bill.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I would suggest getting a comparator set up so you can determine distance from the ogive to the lands. Most all heavy single stage presses work good, Set of precision dies and lots of spare time. Also it may get expensive finding the right bullets and powder,brass and primers that best suit your needs. {i know from experience}

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It is not so much about the equipment as it is about the procedures and components used. A Rockcucker, a good set of dies, and a good scale are all that is needed to beat most factory ammo.

I would suggest getting a comparator set up so you can determine distance from the ogive to the lands. Most all heavy single stage presses work good, Set of precision dies and lots of spare time. Also it may get expensive finding the right bullets and powder,brass and primers that best suit your needs. {i know from experience}

This, learning the process so you can reload consistent is the most important thing. The high end presses are the bomb, no doubt. But I can load ammo that I can't out shoot with my simple Lee breach lock. i shoot fairly well.

The bullet comparator is a must IMHO. Learn how to properly measure the chamber and the how to work with that info when reloading. And good measuring equipment is as important as the quality of the reloading equipment. Scales, calibers.

It's not that hard to load really accurate ammo. I am doing pretty good with my simple setup. Taking time to measure and weigh everything. And we haven't talked about the quality of the reloading components. It's fun, a little time consuming but the results show up on paper.

You can go as complex as you wallet allows. I'd guess you probably have a good start on tooling right now.

And do get the Sinclair catalog. You can really spend the $$ if you so desire! I am buying a bit at a time and working with what I have.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Used to shoot small groups and considering it again. 6BR, Bench rest .com another are good web sites in memory serves me. An action and a good barrel then a good caliber. 223 is not bad. Savage is making decent factory stuff right now from what picking up.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I use a Lee hand press, Lee dies, and a Harrel's powder measure. I frequently load my 1,000 yard match ammo off the back of my Suburban the morning of the match. If my ammo got loaded more than a day or two before use, it is always loaded .020 to .030 long using a Lee single stage press at home. The morning of use, it is seated to final depth with the hand press. There is almost always a moment of resistance, then a little pop as the bullet breaks free and moves in.

I shoot long range in the Master class with a .308 Palma gun.

This is to eliminate the bullet bonding to the case?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is to eliminate the bullet bonding to the case?

It is called cold welding and is real. And can be felt in the final seating. When you are trying to drop them all into the X-ring at 1,000 yards, consistent neck tension and everything else is absolutely essential. The tools used for the loading of the cartridge are not consequential. IMO.

I have shot LR matches with people who load long, then jam the bullet into the lands to push the bullet back into the case. Then shoot it. I don't have the courage for that.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Now I knew neck tension is one of the most critical controls. But I knew nothing of this cold welding business. You have piqued my interest, sloughfoot.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Cold welding is not a factor or concern for the tactical shooter. It is only a concern for the bullseye or Long Range Highpower shooter. But it is a real phenomenon.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    It is called cold welding and is real. And can be felt in the final seating. When you are trying to drop them all into the X-ring at 1,000 yards, consistent neck tension and everything else is absolutely essential. The tools used for the loading of the cartridge are not consequential. IMO.

I have shot LR matches with people who load long, then jam the bullet into the lands to push the bullet back into the case. Then shoot it. I don't have the courage for that.

I knew of it and understand it's effects. I was just wondering if this was the reason, or if there was another. Thanks.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Cold welding is not a factor or concern for the tactical shooter. It is only a concern for the bullseye or Long Range Highpower shooter. But it is a real phenomenon.

My range access is fairly limited, and then it is only 300 yards. I load ahead of time, sometimes months in advance. Given that, and I only use a bench rest for load development, I won't likely see much impact from this. Still, it's good information to have.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom