• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    i've looked at the previous post but I'm curious if anyones tried the current generations to compare.
    cabellas has the lyman gen6 for 199
    natchez has the rcbs chargemaster for 259
    pact is 230 direct

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I like my RCBS. Wouldn't ever pay retail on one. I waited for a sale coupled with RCBS rebate then paid difference with my Cabelas points.

Use it for working up pistol loads or single stage rifle hand loads. Can't live without it now although it is slow and quirky.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I love my ChargeMaster. It is fast enough to keep up with my 1050s and has no quirks. I swear, did RCBS slow them down and add quirks several years ago, 'cause I don't have any issues.
    Unless you can find a magazine or some blog that has actually TESTED the various models, all you'll get is either how much someone likes their unit or how much they hate their unit. Not many have purchased multiple models. Google may be a much better bet than any forum.
    The main issues are 1) calibration, 2) over-shooting, and 3) emptying and cleaning up afterwards.
    I do know that if the PACT still has separate dispenser and scale, with IR communication, it is a unit NOT to buy. I hated my RCBS unit that was the PACT under the RCBS name.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    FWIW, I've been using the PACT for the last ten-fifteen years with excellent results.
    I gather that the RCBS Chargemaster may be a bit quicker, and it certainly has more features, but the PACT is rock steady reliable, plus I like that it's the only powder dispenser/scale combo still made in USA.
    I've turned out probably north of 1K rounds of .30-06 with it and about as many .45 Colt and 10mm Auto combined with it.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I like my RCBS. Wouldn't ever pay retail on one. I waited for a sale coupled with RCBS rebate then paid difference with my Cabelas points.

Use it for working up pistol loads or single stage rifle hand loads. Can't live without it now although it is slow and quirky.

I did this at Midway. It was on sale for $290. I had to buy $10 more worth of product to get the $75 off $300 or more. So basically coast me about $225. I use mine with a single stage press. I dispense a load, dump the load in cartridge, begin dispensing next load, seat bullet, then repeat. Usually when I am ready for the next powder dump it is done.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I did this at Midway. It was on sale for $290. I had to buy $10 more worth of product to get the $75 off $300 or more. So basically coast me about $225. I use mine with a single stage press. I dispense a load, dump the load in cartridge, begin dispensing next load, seat bullet, then repeat. Usually when I am ready for the next powder dump it is done.

Yep, that's the most productive way to roll with the electronic dispensers.
    They work particularly well with rifle cartridges using extruded powder (IMR 4895, H4831, etc.), and using your technique is about as quick or quicker than trying to get an accurate load with conventional measures.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been using the Chargemaster for the last month or two (played the rebate game as well), and in this short time, it has worked flawlessly.

What I mean by "flawlessly" is that the scale seems to be dead nuts on. I compare weights vs. my check weight set and then also compare to my RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale, and it has been 100% right on so far. I also check about every 5th to 10th throw from my powder drop on the scale, and for a while, I was confirming weights on the beam scale, but I stopped doing that since they have been perfectly in sync so far.

I have used the dispenser function to work up 2 sets of loads, and I am really amazed at how few "overs" or "unders" I had (maybe 1 or 2 out of hundreds of throws). I did add the brass reducing sleeve off of eBay, and I am not sure how much this has helped since I have never used it without it.

In my *very* limited time with this instrument, I am 100% satisfied, and honestly could not live without it. I am about to start working up some rifle loads, and I know it is going to get a real workout.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have been using the Chargemaster for the last month or two (played the rebate game as well), and in this short time, it has worked flawlessly.

What I mean by "flawlessly" is that the scale seems to be dead nuts on. I compare weights vs. my check weight set and then also compare to my RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale, and it has been 100% right on so far. I also check about every 5th to 10th throw from my powder drop on the scale, and for a while, I was confirming weights on the beam scale, but I stopped doing that since they have been perfectly in sync so far.

I have used the dispenser function to work up 2 sets of loads, and I am really amazed at how few "overs" or "unders" I had (maybe 1 or 2 out of hundreds of throws). I did add the brass reducing sleeve off of eBay, and I am not sure how much this has helped since I have never used it without it.

In my *very* limited time with this instrument, I am 100% satisfied, and honestly could not live without it. I am about to start working up some rifle loads, and I know it is going to get a real workout.

It's really satisfying reading of your experience getting into reloading for the first time, first asking questions from the folks on here with decades of experience for suggestions, then getting the equipment that will serve you best the first time round.
    There's nothing more satisfying when it comes to shooting than seeing nice and tiny groups from rolling your own ammo, and even more so should you go hunting with your hunting loads.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It's really satisfying reading of your experience getting into reloading for the first time, first asking questions from the folks on here with decades of experience for suggestions, then getting the equipment that will serve you best the first time round.
    There's nothing more satisfying when it comes to shooting than seeing nice and tiny groups from rolling your own ammo, and even more so should you go hunting with your hunting loads.

I gotta say, it was your suggestion to get the Chargemaster scale, and your comment at the time was that I could add the dispenser later if I wanted. That turned out to be amazing advice, thanks!!! :) I am up to about 1,200 rounds of 9mm made so far, and I have to say that I have the tightest groups I have ever shot! I am getting ready to move up to rifle here shortly, and that is where I should really see an accuracy difference. Thanks to you and all of the other great members here, I am rocking-and-a-rolling with my first loads! I could have never done it without you guys!

Gyro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    I really like my RCBS Chargemaster. It has a good following. Support on the various forums and websites is very good. That says alot about a product. I almost bought the Hornady version that looks very similar but when i found my RCBS on sale, the price difference wasnt worth it. I am not brand loyal and have a good mix. I have no regrets and would buy it again.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Lyman Gen 6 for about a year. I also waited until they were on sale at Brownells + free s/h. Plus the Brownells guarantee if it goes south.

Dial up your charge and let 'er rip.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I used to have a Dillon and now have a Lyman 1200 DPS 3. I've been completely satisfied with both. E scales can be affected by power surges or other electrical interference, as well as, any air currents. I haven't had any of those problems or any problems. I think check weights are really good to have to verify the accuracy.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Another satisfied RCBS owner. Its a great unit. Only problem I have had is the power supply crapped out on it. Not sure what happened, but I called RCBS and they sent out a new one.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I own a PACT digital scale and powder dispenser, bought it MO over 20 years ago. It has literally thrown 1000s of charges for me. Yes it is a little slow and have often considered sending it back to PACT to be updated to be faster, but I use it so much I don't want to part with it. Only quirk it has it will endlessly throw dead nut accurate loads but ALWAYS 2 grains heavy, never more or less but always 2. What sold me was PACT's reputation and lifetime basically unconditional warranty.
    I do wish it were easier to empty it of unused powder, but over all I am totally satisfied with it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    What I mean by quirks is it overthrows all the time and is real sensitive to bench movement caused by me seating the next bullet. I had to do the McDonalds straw mod and make sure bench is secured to the wall tightly. I keep all my bullet boxes on the bench top as ballast and built a shelf where I stack bulk loaded ammo in cans also as ballast. I put a rubber pad underneath the unit to help absorb vibrations. As far as the scale goes it throws dead nuts with my beam scale. Once you understand the quirks you can make it work.

These are the reasons I would never pay retail for one. Seem pretty cheaply made to be asking 3 bills for one. Yikes! On sale with rebate coupled with Cabelas points and I think mine was $70 to my front door. That is about all I was willing to pay. Overall a nice tool for working up a few loads and helps speed the process.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I own a PACT digital scale and powder dispenser, bought it MO over 20 years ago. It has literally thrown 1000s of charges for me. Yes it is a little slow and have often considered sending it back to PACT to be updated to be faster, but I use it so much I don't want to part with it. Only quirk it has it will endlessly throw dead nut accurate loads but ALWAYS 2 grains heavy, never more or less but always 2. What sold me was PACT's reputation and lifetime basically unconditional warranty.
    I do wish it were easier to empty it of unused powder, but over all I am totally satisfied with it.

Hmmm...I bet you could get the problem with the 2 grains heavy throw fixed if you called PACT and requested it be repaired.
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but maybe they'd update it to the faster version.
    I have the newer version of the PACT, and it's a great dispenser, and I normally get a full drop of IMR4831 (57 grains) in less than 45 seconds.
    Also, as a suggestion, I have good luck getting all the powder out of mine by unplugging the dispenser, then carefully allowing most of the powder to run out by inverting into my powder canister.
    I move it right side up and back upside down that way a few times to get most of the powder out, then take the clear plastic reservoir off, then invert it again repeatedly into the canister to get nearly all the remaining granules out, then finish by angling the dispense tubes into the canister.
    The dispenser is completely emptied out in less than a minute that way.
    Maybe you already do this, but I've looked at the fancier dispensers' dump panel, and they still require picking up the dispenser or using a brush to get the remaining granules out altogether.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    What I mean by quirks is it overthrows all the time and is real sensitive to bench movement caused by me seating the next bullet. I had to do the McDonalds straw mod and make sure bench is secured to the wall tightly. I keep all my bullet boxes on the bench top as ballast and built a shelf where I stack bulk loaded ammo in cans also as ballast. I put a rubber pad underneath the unit to help absorb vibrations. As far as the scale goes it throws dead nuts with my beam scale. Once you understand the quirks you can make it work.

These are the reasons I would never pay retail for one. Seem pretty cheaply made to be asking 3 bills for one. Yikes! On sale with rebate coupled with Cabelas points and I think mine was $70 to my front door. That is about all I was willing to pay. Overall a nice tool for working up a few loads and helps speed the process.
    I have my Lyman 1200 DPS 3 located on a separate bench from my presses. It is a little inconvenient when setting my powder measure, but works out very well when I throw each charge separately for rifle loads and some high velocity pistol loads.

Top Bottom