• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armstrongchris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Indianapolis
    https://www.midwayusa.com/…/mcr-bullet-meplat-uniforming-to…
    Anyone have experience with this or something similar? It is intended to function in two ways, to uniform the nose and also hollow point your round if desired.
    I am shooting a BTSP now and I'm interested in the product. Who has experience to share here?

MCR Bullet Meplat Uniforming Tool 308 Cal
    366545 This tool allows the reloader to remove the unevenness in the nose of the bullet. This results in consistent projectiles, tighter groups…
    midwayusa.com|By MidwayUSA

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    My question would be how much variation in weight are you finding in your HP projectiles? The weight of the projectile will cause consistency( accuracy) issues. The side of the bullet steer it not the nose. Looks like a solution in search of a problem in my estimation. Now to turn a FMJ into a HP bullet that might be worth having it for....

armstrongchris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Indianapolis
    My question would be how much variation in weight are you finding in your HP projectiles? The weight of the projectile will cause consistency( accuracy) issues. The side of the bullet steer it not the nose. Looks like a solution in search of a problem in my estimation. Now to turn a FMJ into a HP bullet that might be worth having it for....

I'm shooting a boat tailed soft point at this time as my final intended use is a hunting load. The soft lead nose seems that it could be easily damaged and inconsistent. To that effect I entertained the thought of being able to uniform them or reshape them into HP. My last 300 were all within three tenths of a grain.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Life is too short to worry about three tenths of a grain difference from bullet to bullet. Whats the real difference when it comes to punching paper or killing a deer? None. Of course that's only my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. I do think it might be worth having to be able to turn military ammo into a more destructive round for hunting. Get it and let us know how well it works.

armstrongchris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Not sure about centerfire projectiles but with rimfire ammo, consistent shape of the base has a greater effect on accuracy than tip shape.

it is the same principle. accuracy comes from the base. I'm thinking about it from a consistency standpoint, things that I can control or make uniform. I'm sure it's waaaay overkill for a hunting round. I was looking for anyone to be able to say it either was or wasn't worth the efforts from their experience.

USMC-FF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    To answer your question, meplat trimming is more for target shooting than for hunting. I only know of target shooters using meplat trimmers to increase their BC. I don't know or have heard of anybody using it on hunting loads.

Top Bottom