• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Anyone have a piece of reloading equipment that's no longer in production or can find parts for but like it so much because it works? Have you engineered a replacement to fit to keep it going?

I bought an Ohaus 7200 Duo Measure Powder Throw off of here a few years back and fell in love with it the first time I set it up and used it. Where ever I had my powder dialed in at it would throw a consistent charge time and time again even if I had to take a break of a few weeks due to lack of supplies it still held where it was at. I also got it for a great deal compared to what the asking prices are now for these.

As I was tumbling some dirty bullets I accidentally knocked the old hopper off. When I picked it up off the garage floor I saw that it had cracked in several places making it unusable. I did a quick search and found that RCBS who bought Ohaus's stuff did not have parts for it anymore. The usual search of fleabay and such also turned up no luck. As I dug deeper I found a few threads from people who used a Mec shot/powder bottle to craft a new hopper.

I quickly put up a WTB ad hoping someone would have a spare. I had a few people who were looking for me. As I waited to hear back I went to Lowes and picked up some fittings. I took the thrower with me to check fitment. I ended up buying a a 1 to 3/4 copper reducer that fit. I also bought a plastic reducer as I had planned to glue the bottle to the fitting so it didn't fall out. I can't remember the sizes, but it fit the copper like a glove.

The next day the wife and I took a trip to our Kmart that is closing down. I took the plastic fitting just in case I found a bottle that fit as another user suggested. As we were walking down the grocery isle the wife and I were testing the fit and throwing drinks in the cart. When we got home I had drank the Aquafina bottle to try first. it was almost a match. I went to the garage where I hacked about a 1/4in off the top where the cap screws in. I also had to sand down the threads and the wider lip at the bottom of the cap. When it was all done it fit like a glove. My wife gave me some E6000 and I proceeded to glue the bottle into the fitting making sure to also add glue to the inside in case of any gaps. Finally I cut the bottom of the bottle off just before its widest part so I could have a lid to cover my powder. In the end I think it looks quite professional like it may of been an option for a larger hopper.

Of course the final result.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I might actually have a mec bottle if you still want one. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow. I was gifted a mec loader and don't ever plan on reloading 12ga

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Necessity is the mother of invention.

My dad used to tell me,
    "If you don't have what you need, use what you have."

Where there's a will there's a way.
    Nice job.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Thanks everyone. Jstang I will keep you in mind once I start back up in the spring. Its too cold in my garage to do anything.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It may not be OEM, but it looks solid.
    It's commendable that you kept that old piece of equipment in the fight.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I'd make that drinking water container and adapter fitting disappear pronto, all gunpowder containers and acrylic measure hoppers are blended with polymer anti static compounds in the extruding process for obvious reasons.

Use a brass fitting to adapt a shotshell powder bottle to fit the measure, MUCH safer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It may not be OEM, but it looks solid.
    It's commendable that you kept that old piece of equipment in the fight.

That old piece of equipment probably has more life left in it than a lot of the new stuff on the shelf today. So much of today's stuff does not have enough margin to even patch.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I like your style. I'm loading shot shells on an old Pacific progressive press from the late 60's. It is the grandfather of today's Hornady presses as Hornady bought out Pacific. Lucky that current powder/shot bushings, wad guides and hoppers still fit. Also have an old C-H press that I may convert to some special use. Ain't the old stuff great.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'd make that drinking water container and adapter fitting disappear pronto, all gunpowder containers and acrylic measure hoppers are blended with polymer anti static compounds in the extruding process for obvious reasons.

Use a brass fitting to adapt a shotshell powder bottle to fit the measure, MUCH safer.
    I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go back to using the thrower for pistol. I did think of making 2 but decided since this is consistent in my 223 it will be my straight BLC-2 thrower.

Top Bottom